• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A vs. DPMS .308

captainbarred

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Schenectady, NY
Been missing my old M1A for a while now, I regret selling that bad boy, but the .308 AR is easier to maintain and I'm already very familiar with the AR platform...

But then variety is the spice of life...

The M1A Scout with topped with a nice scope would be one sexy mid-range beast...

Re: M1A vs. DPMS .308

The scout is a nice, heavy not too accurate rifle. It "feels" more like a rifle than an AR but will never be as accurate as as good AR 10. It is 1930s tech vs 1960s tech in the AR, but still a fun shooter.

I have several M1a's and I love them all, However you must take into consideration the AR10 can be set up in FAR more configurations then the M1a.

Bottom line it's whatever floats your boat ...JW

I had two Springfield M1As (National Match and a Loaded) that I had redone by Iron Brigade Armory back around 00-02. I spent mad coin on both with McMillan Stocks, having rear lugs welded on, unitized gas system, etc. I regret selling one of them, but must agree that the SR25/DPMS LR308 platform is much easier to tweak and tune and holds accuracy better. I might build up another M1A using a LRB receiver, but just to have the feel of an old war horse.

I would take the DPMS over any M1A any day. I had nothing but problems and lack of accuracy from my M1A. They are both completely different though so I would say if everyone voted it would be 50/50...

Dpms .308 never cease to amaze me by how accurate they are.

I wouldn't go so far as to say you can set up an AR with more stuff. They are accurate, but if it ain't piston driven, it's still a shit design. Heres my M1A if this works.
100_5280.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captainbarred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been missing my old M1A for a while now, I regret selling that bad boy, but the .308 AR is easier to maintain and I'm already very familiar with the AR platform...

The M1A Scout with topped with a nice scope would be one sexy mid-range beast...</div></div>

24y1ilf.jpg

You are correct Captainbarred, the M1A scout with a nice scope is a sexy beast.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim1071</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captainbarred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been missing my old M1A for a while now, I regret selling that bad boy, but the .308 AR is easier to maintain and I'm already very familiar with the AR platform...

The M1A Scout with topped with a nice scope would be one sexy mid-range beast...</div></div>

24y1ilf.jpg

You are correct Captainbarred, the M1A scout with a nice scope is a sexy beast.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Correct!

My scope, rings and cheek riser are inbound
grin.gif

MK14-Mod-1-EBR.jpg

I went AR-10 after trying a second time to find a comfortable scope position on my M1a. Sadlak mount is pretty decent, but the whole setup is jake-leg.

M1a trigger, op rod riding the external rail slot, gas pistons that wear out, barrels with complex contour and slot alignments. Then there is the complexity of gunsmithing. If you want to romanticize the design, it is still a free country, but...

The M14 is still a great weapon, with NM sights and a bag full of magazines they are dependable shooters. I like an AR-10 T barrel in an A2 configuration better. I like being able to press 2 pins and change uppers, like the built-in A4 picatinny scope rail, the Free-float tube, the no-bed stock design, Like the gas system's simplicity. Like the multi-lug bolt and bolt carrier.

Where can you buy a drop-in M1a trigger? The AR trigger is really excellent; more capable of precise tune. So many sellers of remarkable quality triggers. How much does a stripped M1a receiver cost these days? Every lower receiver part on an AR-10 is AR-15 interchangeable aside from the take-down pins. $50 plus your trigger and take-down pins and you are set. $200 for a stripped lower and build your own.

I cannot see the short-barrel gizmoed-out M1a rifles at all. Quadrails are a bit of a joke unless you are into kicking in doors. A four pound scope on an already heavy short-barreled rifle is not helping the matter any. Figure to be doing much sniping with that M1a? Nobody shoots them in Service Rifle anymore because they are so "accurate". The only reason anyone competes with one is the heavy bullet in the wind and the 80gr .223 rem does as well.

An accurate M1a is one that holds under 1.5" at 100yds. The AR-10 will deliver .5" or sub at 100 and hold that delivery consistency. A super-precision scope on a less than precision rifle is a waste in my book.

I like the old mil-contractor parts assembled Springfields. These days though, you can build an AR-10 at home better than any M1a you can buy.

ETA: re the pix in H20man's post; nice, but...
How do you get a stock weld enabling you to consistently see through the scope? The base must be 4" above the comb on the AR type stock; add the extra height for the scope ocular to clear and another 15mm to see down the center of the scope and your scope is about 5" above your cheekweld... That makes even a tip of the chin-weld hard to do.

Might work fine for an Eotech, Reflex, or Aimpoint sight, but without a full contour cheekpiece riser, how can you use the scope?

Thanks for all the input guys. I like a more plain jane type rifle myself for the M1A, those are seriously badass though!!!

I think the setup I would love to do is actually more of a Scout type with a forward mounted red dot. then have a QD mount to pull it off and pop on a 10X scope at the rear.

Hillbilly, I just recently bought an Addax Gas Piston Upper for my Carbine AR, the barrel isn't even broken in and with cheap factory ammo I am getting just a hair over moa at 200, as I shoot more it should tighten up more! I love the piston based ARs!

I wonder if Addax could do a .308 barrel for me
smile.gif

I sitll love the M1As, but for the uses I am thinking, an AR .308 might be better overall...

I've got a Sage International EBR stock on mine. Troy makes one kinda similar, and the JAE is also a good one. I got my stock for a little over 700 brand new. You just have to strip down the barrel to replace the oprod block to install them. The Sage is what we got in Iraq,and it's a damn fine chassis system.
Iraq142.jpg

This is the one I had in Iraq, Krylon paint job, we were told not to touch the scope or rifle with the paint.

Captainbarred,
The piston systems are definitely more reliable, they stay cleaner, and cooler. I don't know for sure if they make kits for the .308 but someone should. If your dead set on getting one of those. That's the reason that me and alot of people that I know think the KAC M110 SASS is a POS.

I owned both a M1A Scout & AR10 "style" rifle. I sold my Scout to fund my AR10 build, I ended up going with Noveske for their 14.5" Leondias Rifle (I see they no longer offer it). I liked it but I ended up getting another M1A Scout due to the fact I missed them so much. I sold the AR10 and have since gotten a SOCOM 16. Hand down I'd take a M1A over AR10 any day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ETA: re the pix in H20man's post; nice, but...
How do you get a stock weld enabling you to consistently see through the scope? </div></div>

You must have been busy romanticizing about the AR-10 and
completely missed the text directly above the picture of my MK14

<span style="font-weight: bold">
"My scope, rings <span style="text-decoration: underline">and cheek riser</span> are inbound"
grin.gif
</span>

I will snap a #3 Magpul cheek riser on the CTR as soon as it arrives.

I dunno what to do. So many good options....

I am in the process of buying a house so my budget is gunna be very tight, making a few hundred here or there for the parts to slowly build a .308 AR a bit easier than dropping about $1500+ in one go...

I figure I can build a .308 AR for around $1100-$1200 not including optics. so that's a bit cheaper than the M1A...

But damn I love the M1A action. I have an M1 Carbine and M1 Garand, just need the Mini 14, mini 30, and M1A and I'll have the whole family :lol:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captainbarred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What stocks do you guys have??? </div></div>

SAGE EBR chassis stock system.
I've sampled every variant they make and prefer the M14ALCS/CV with the AR receiver extension tube.

While I agree that the gas system on an AR is not the greatest, how many of us are ever gonna be is a situation where it actually fails? I have shot 500+ German Mil-Spec 308 (Dynamite Nobel) through my DPMS TAC (16") and never cleaned a thing. Never fails, just keeps on ticking. The M-1 family is still a 1930s design and has it's own issues (try shooting cast bullets in one!)
(Yes I am cheap and barrels last forever with cast bullets) or bedding one for sub MOA accuracy. You can buy a DPMS LR 308 and have "out of the box" sub MOA accuracy. Even my 16" door kicker will do 1.5 MOA with the kraut stuff and a Leupold 1-4 scope!
It's also shorter and lighter.
I just sold my "built" (to NM specs) Winchester M-1 because I couldn't see the sights anymore and it still kicked a lot more than my AR 10.
You'll note that both the M 40 and it's sisters as well as the M-14 DMR will be phased out in favor of an AR based 308. There is some good video of the AR sniper in use floating around and it's amazing to see how many ragheads get smacked so fast (you may want to mute it if wife/kids can hear) "look at that fucker , you blew is fuckin' head off his fuckin' neck" and so on.
Maybe they were using the new Barnes MPG "green" bullets, after all we wouldn't want to leave an lead contamination in the Middle East!