• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1D Garand

rgg_7

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
Looking for comments and value on M1D Garand - Danish marked - condition 9.5 out of 10 still in cosmoline. The Garand is Winchester manufactured Sept 1943; all components are marked WRA; barrel correct and in walnut stock. Has correct and original MRT leather cheekpiece, cone flash hider, M84 scope and bracket - very clear and serialized with Danish marking plus original tag, M62 bayonet and cotton green sling.

Been told that the Danish order was very small - like to know how many?

Looking for a validation - what's it worth in todays market.

Ron (Canada)

Pictures would help.

Honestly, numbers will be all over the map. For one, being in Canada makes market... different from being in US. More limited? More specialized? Fewer potential buyers? Rarer gun?

Reimport to the US is expensive and difficult in many cases. So affects value here. might even have to be stamped with a reimport mark, which seriously affects value.

Best bet is to scan Gunbroker. Com and see completed auctions. Not what people were asking, but what things really sold for. And then factor in Canadian knowledge.

Also @Sean the Nailer or @fosberry455 might have some insight as they are in Canuckia. (Sorry, can’t help myself. Sorry, Sean)

Anyway, pictures most helpful if you have any and I am sure there will be some thoughts based on American market. But market may be apples and oranges on a Garand.

Cheers, Sirhr

Reactions: Miller Tyme
Here in the USA, the presence or absence of CMP certificate drives M1D value. Without it, their is no real way to determine if it came back to the US army as an M1D or not. Lots of fakes here in the USA as all it takes is a barrel and handguard swap, and hundreds of spare M1D barrels were once on the US surplus market in the 1980s-90s. Of course an M1D reimported into Canada would lack the CMP documentation we have here. | don’t know much about gun prices in Canada. For example Italian M1s are super cheap up there, but rather pricey here in the USA. Sounds like a nice rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Does CMP have a record of previous sales by serial number?

Ron (Canada)

Does CMP have a record of previous sales by serial number?

Ron (Canada)
Not sure that is available, though I am sure they do!

But a gun that was never sold through the Civilian Marksmanship Program would never be listed or registered. Your M1D sounds like it came through a foreign military sale to Denmark. CMP would have nothing at all to do with that. It's the United States 'sale' to civilians for competition program.

As for the sale (loan? Lease? Lend Lease?) to Denmark... I am sure that deep in an archive of the United States Ordnance Dept there is a list of what was sold to Denmark. But good luck finding it. The time/trouble will be 100X the 'value' of even the most collectible Garand!! If it's not classified. Still. Or lost. Or simply shredded as irrelevant decades later.

Wish I had better news!!

Sirhr

The purist won't give much for it because of the Import makings. But as you said, they are more rare than a US M1D. I can't give you a price, but I'd buy it if it weren't an arm and a leg.

Sirhr,

That's unfortunately wrong. CMP has sold a lot of Danish returns. Rifles come back and are given to CMP to sell.

For the OP, contact CMP. They should be able to give you a yes or no over the phone for that sn and then if its a yes, pay the 25 bucks for the paperwork stating it was sold as a M1D. a WRA M1D is probably worth around 2k. Then its sum of parts. 800-1000 for M84 scope. 300-600 for mount. 300-500 for flash hider. Cheek pad 300-400 if its a 50's dated one, less if its later. Also depending on the stock. Most desired stock is a RA and SA cartouched one.

Reactions: Foul Mike
That's unfortunately wrong. CMP has sold a lot of Danish returns. Rifles come back and are given to CMP to sell.
Yes, but CMP does not sell rifles to customers in Canada, which is where the original poster is. If a rifle is exported from Denmark straight to the Canadian Importer, CMP will not have records. It has to come back into the US Army inventory before CMP gets it, and in this case, that didn't happen...

Yes, but CMP does not sell rifles to customers in Canada, which is where the original poster is. If a rifle is exported from Denmark straight to the Canadian Importer, CMP will not have records. It has to come back into the US Army inventory before CMP gets it, and in this case, that didn't happen...
Totally missed that whole Canada part :p

Sirhr,

Agreed. And sorry I was not clearer. What I mean is that the CMP had nothing to do with the sale of Rifles to Denmark.

And the returned Rifles may well have come back to CMP, but not for sale into Canada. Unless it was sold in the US via CMP and somehow resold to a Canadian.

So my apologies.

Cheers Sirhr

Reactions: Foul Mike
Agreed. And sorry I was not clearer. What I mean is that the CMP had nothing to do with the sale of Rifles to Denmark.

And the returned Rifles may well have come back to CMP, but not for sale into Canada. Unless it was sold in the US via CMP and somehow resold to a Canadian.

So my apologies.

Cheers Sirhr
For the price of a M1 in Canada, I’d be importing them lol

For the price of a M1 in Canada, I’d be importing them lol
I have no idea what the market is there. So from your comment I assume that they sell for a boatload of money! That goes back to the OP’s original question which is what is it worth. And it seems you’re helping answer that when it comes to the Canadian market. As long as it’s actually real. Which is the real poser when it comes to an M1D. Cheers

Always lots of confusion - CMP sold only USA released M1D's - sales numbers are available. Some of the records show 2385 were acquired by CMP from 1996 to 98. most sales in USA however a few were imported into Canada. The Danish contact is much smaller and was a surplus sale to 2 Canadian Dealers - Century International Ste Laurent Quebec and Lever Arms Vancouver BC. Their intent was to resell in the USA however there was a change in import laws at the time which torpedoed their plan.. A few were sold in Canada however the majority were torn down, receivers destroyed and parts sold in the USA.

All the Danish M1D have the build tags in the barrel channel of the lower stock. If you have and it matches the metal /stock sn's then you have an original.

Cheers,

Ron (Canada)