• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Photos M2 AP

144:1

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2011
Northern Virginia
Recently cleaned up 900 of some recently pull 30-06 M2 AP harden steel core tips. Have a lot more to go. I used the Lyman subsonic cleaner. It took about 90 minutes to clean them up at 400 at a time.

Might I add these are a bitch to clean. In the 40's and 50's they used a tar like substance to seat the bullets. Even when you heat it up it turns to a sticky goo that is very hard to get off. The paint is a bear as well. Its quite thick and I can only imagine it probably contains lead.

Re: M2 AP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The subsonic does this good of job? I have to get one. How is it on brass? </div></div>

Well after about 10-12, 8 minute runs yes it does. Let me caveat that this has 60-70 years of grim, tar, and paint on them.

It does a decent job on brass I would say about 16 minutes (2 runs) and they are pretty clean.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to get some black epoxy paint and dip the tips in to give it that authentic look again
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me, I'd be tempted to get some black epoxy paint and dip the tips in to give it that authentic look again
smile.gif
. </div></div>

Black Sharpie marker is much easier.
smile.gif

I pulled some of those out of some old rounds I was given. They were in horrible shape and I threw them away. That tar was on everything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M25BeastShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious where might one acquire these little copper and steel beauties? </div></div>

They are getting tougher and tougher to get. AP ammo is drying up. You can find them on gunbroker.com and some of the other gun auction websites. You can also stumble across it at some of the gun shows in the south. I have never seen it here at gun shows in Virginia.

All of the tips below were pulled from 30-06 M2 AP loaded back in the 40's and 50's in Norway, St.Louis, and PA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 144:1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might I add these are a bitch to clean. In the 40's and 50's they used a tar like substance to seat the bullets. Even when you heat it up it turns to a sticky goo that is very hard to get off. The paint is a bear as well. Its quite thick and I can only imagine it probably contains lead. </div></div>

Toss them in your Vibratory or rotary tumbler with fine corn cob and Mineral Spirits added. It will get rid of the Tar sealant in 15 minutes and shine them up like new. Then change out that corn cob and put new in with Nu-Finish car polish.

Terry

I have used 1 1/2 cups of mineral spirits or so to a Lyman vibrator bowl 2/3rds full of old "worn out" corn cob. Not an exact science but use just enough to barely make the amount of media damp.
Semper Fi

Interesting post.

Thanks. I think you are refering to ultrasonic which is very high frequency sounds waves and not 'sub'sonic which refers to velocity less than propagation of audible waves at sea level.

DD