• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M2008 bolt

40x

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Pennsylvanian
Has anyone reduced the bolt diameter on their M2008 action to make it run smoother/ more reliable in the field.

Re: M2008 bolt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone reduced the bolt diameter on their M2008 action to make it run smoother/ more reliable in the field.
</div></div>
who ever said there was a problem in the first place?

The M2008 has fairly tight tolerances as does just about every other custom action. I have not heard of any reports of their actions failing in the field, all actions will get slowed down a bit when things get gritty.
I run a Pierce action now which has a very tight tolerance on the bolt/receiver fit, with the use of a good silicone or graphite dry lube, things run well and it wont attract dirt and debris.

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone reduced the bolt diameter on their M2008 action to make it run smoother/ more reliable in the field.
</div></div>
who ever said there was a problem in the first place?</div></div>

The tolerances are very tight, coating them with traditional coating like Cerakote makes them hard to use, I had to smear mine with JB Bore Paste and run it a few hundred times to loosen up the tolerance some.

I think GAP has some other process done to the bolt besides a spray on finish, I can't remember what it's called.

I had the barreled action cerakoted and after a few matches every time I get blasted with someone’s muzzle break the fine dirt gums up the action. Just wanted to know if I can do some thing to lessen up the tolerances or reduce the diameter of the bolt. Has any one done that or is that a bad idea.

Could be fluted and then as my post above says you can use some abrasives on the bolt body. I actually sanded my bolt body with some very fine wet/dry sandpaper too.

Yep as others have said it's tight but the issue comes up when a thick coating is used on the action/bolt. GAP did the action interior and bolt of mine with cerakote and it was the same way. I had to run the bolt A LOT to work enough coating off to get it so it wouldn't gum up after awhile. It helped if the bolt was ran pretty wet with lube but that meant it attracted more crap in the field.

The coating is probably the bigger issue, some guys have blued the bolt instead of coating it with better luck. I believe Badger now recommends against any thick coatings on the interior of the action/bolt. I think if you just removed the coating you'd be good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone reduced the bolt diameter on their M2008 action to make it run smoother/ more reliable in the field.
</div></div>
who ever said there was a problem in the first place?</div></div>

The tolerances are very tight, coating them with traditional coating like Cerakote makes them hard to use, I had to smear mine with JB Bore Paste and run it a few hundred times to loosen up the tolerance some.

I think GAP has some other process done to the bolt besides a spray on finish, I can't remember what it's called. </div></div>
I'm not saying it can't happen. All I am saying is that I have over 2000 rounds through my GAP built Badger action and the only time i have ever had to do anything to it was at Rifles Only...Midway through the week of PR 1 and PR 2 i took the bolt out sprayed it with carb cleaner and then Rem Oil and put it back in. YMMV of course, but I like I said, I have never had a problem with mine and I do not own the cleanest guns around.

It kind of defeats the purpose of removing the cerakoting from the bolt and action to protect it from the elements . Just curios if by reducing the bolt body by .003 thousands and then coating would be bad for the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone reduced the bolt diameter on their M2008 action to make it run smoother/ more reliable in the field.
</div></div>

I polished mine until the uneven machine marks were smooth. I have had no problems after coating with KG.

I ionbonded my M2008 bolt for this reason.

Check out the build in my sig.

I've spoken to several gunsmiths about this and, depending on whether the bolt is surface-hardened, they could take a thousandth or two off the bolt. I was concerned about how tight a BAT action might be and wanted options to modify it if needed. I ended up going with Defiance and have not had any problems in the Arizona dust yet.

I've shot my gen 1 in what we call a sand storm here in Cali. My action got a little more resistance but still worked fine. Our weather has been pretty bad. I also do not clean my rifle much. In my opinion, I would just keep using it. Although, you may consider flutes similar to the ones on the Surgeon 591, very shallow. They don't need to be deep like the standard flutes similar to the PTG. Another option are the ice flutes on AW rifles. 3 small pregressive flutes near the back end close to the handle.
JMHO

I own quite a few of these action in various calibers, long and short. I have only had one problem, the ejectors were to weak. Marty sent me replacements and now they run perfectly. Some of them are ionbonded, cerakoated, and polished. They all run great. Once you get some rounds down range and heavy use they will get pretty dang smooth.

Keep on shooting them and run a high quality lube that can bond to the metal that always has worked for me.

I ran a Badger action for a couple of years in quite a few tactical matches as well as shooting in lots of dusty wind and never had a problem with running the bolt. I do recommend keeping it lubed.