• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m2008 in HTG or MCS?

idahoshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Idaho
Forgive me if the answer is obvious, I looked and could not find much. Can a m2008 be put in a mcs, or htg style stock, and if so does it look normal? Thanks for the input guys.

Re: m2008 in HTG or MCS?

Having (or had) both, IMHO even if you could get a HTG inlet for a M2008 it would not look or feel right. That action is just too bloody big for such a relatively diminutive stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having (or had) both, IMHO even if you could get a HTG inlet for a M2008 it would not look or feel right. That action is just too bloody big for such a relatively diminutive stock. </div></div>

+1 man, the HTG isn't really set up for such a large action, even though IMO form should follow function lol it does look ALOT better and more at home in a AICS, and would probably perform better as well, being better balanced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having (or had) both, IMHO even if you could get a HTG inlet for a M2008 it would not look or feel right. That action is just too bloody big for such a relatively diminutive stock. </div></div>

+1 man, the HTG isn't really set up for such a large action, even though IMO form should follow function lol it does look ALOT better and more at home in a AICS, and would probably perform better as well, being better balanced. </div></div>

My 2008 was in a Manners T4-A. It was fine in that as far as proportions go, but the excessively long bolt (for was is supposedly a short action) required extensive cutting on the cheek piece for clearance. My choice for a 2008 would also be an AICS, but I may just be biased since that's what I'm using now (though not with the 2008).

Thanks for the input guys. I had a feeling those were the answers I was going to get.

Slightly off topic, but since we're discussing M2008 builds...

if you've got a M2008 in hand then I'd seriously consider having the bolt fluted. It made a pretty big difference in the field reliability for me. The tolerances on that action are so tight that if it's not kept well lubed and perfectly clean it can really bind up on you. Fluting it really reduces the surface area rubbing against the action and gives grit and grime somewhere to run and hide instead of wedging between the bolt and action surfaces. Plus it looks pretty damn nice.

Good points. I dont have one in hand, deciding what I want to build myself for a graduation present. Keep hearing good things about them but dont know anyone that has one to go look at.

They are well made but big and heavy. The tolerances are very tight on it, more like what I'd expect from a benchrest action than something intended for field use. The bolt is very long, I had to be careful not to bonk myself in the nose when cycling. Also, I found the bolt lift/cocking to be very heavy and not suited for my personal taste. I've since taken a surgeon action and had it milled to accept AIAW mags and I'm much happier with it.

If I were building another gun today, I'd be looking very hard at Underground Skunkwork's AIAW compatible action. But there's nothing inherently wrong with the M2008, it just didn't suit what I was looking for in a gun.

I know McMillan makes an A5 for it. I'm not sure about the HTG but, I doubt it. The tang of the action is pretty tall in the back and not all stocks have enough material in that area to make a smooth transition.