• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M2008

Rhys

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I know there were a few issues that had to be worked through with the original m2008 actions that came out. Now that people have had a bit of time to work with them, what do you all think? Are there any draw backs that wuld be a real deal killer for you toward getting another?

Re: M2008

I have a gen I and it seems to be bug free now.

Other than being pretty heavy and being more limited on stock choices than a 700 clone, I like it.

I love mine. Bolt feels smooth and tight, shooting both it and an AI, I didn't see a noticable difference between the two in regards to bolt feel.

The AI's trigger is damn sure sweet though.

The action is superb. As smooth as any action I've ever messed with and the rifle shoots in the .3's the action is a tad heavy though.

I have one short action currently, a lapua action, and another short action on the way. The bolt is REALLY smooth, feels the same as the AW I've compared it to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the bolt "feel" compare to an AI (if you've had hands on both)? </div></div>

I have not handled enough AI to give an accurate assessment.

I will say, the bolt lift weight increased after mine was sent back for the update. This was due in part to the heavier FP spring, but they also re-machine the cocking notch. It is still very smooth.

For those that get their rifles out in the dirt have you had any issues with the bolt to reciever fit being so tight? I'm trading off a rifle built on a Surgeon, and am thinking about trying something a bit different.

I've had mine in some pretty dusty conditions and haven't ever had an issue with the receiver binding up or anything.

I have a SnipersHide Valkyrie with the Badger action in .260. I have shot several competitions with it, never had any problems with dirt or grit. Mine is a Gen one. I did send it back to Badger for the fix/upgrade although I did not have FTFs. I also have an AI AWSM and the two actions feel the same to me. I would certainly recommend the Badger action. Very accurate and like the way you can have it setup to use the AI AW magazines.

The rear of my action deformed from slamming the bolt closed. This caused reciever metal to be pushed into the raceway which caused binding of the bolt. That metal was removed with sand paper and is all good now. I am interested in replacing the gen 2 spring with a lighter one. Thouht i might try it and see if it works ok.

My M2008 Lapua has a 27 inch Bartlein barrel with Badger FTE brake and sits in an AICS 2.0. S&B 5-25 is on order to replace the Nightforce 3-15 currently on it.

The bolt on my action is binding again. It causes a complete stoppage Badger says they may have forgot to cut a relief in the back of the reciever. I sent it off today and will post an update when i get it back. Cant complain about customer service. They have been very receptive. Cant wait to finish the rifle and put it through the ringer.

On the surface it would seem that any good machine shop could make a good action. In practice, I have been much more satisfied using actions from companies that have been doing it for "a while." Companies like Remington, FN, BAT, Stiller, Defiance, etc. To each his own, I know many folks like having the latest and greatest. But there is a benefit to experience in action making. Some makers aren't even aware of issues that others addressed decades ago.

Love mine. I had no failures to fire using match grade primers, however when I shot mil-spec primers I had failures to fire. Sent back to Marty for the upgrade and haven't shot any mil-spec through it yet, but hopefully it's resolved.

The action is heavy, that's my main issue with it. The bolt lift can be a little heavy as well. Overall I love it though because it essentially gives my the advantages of an AW in an A5 stock. Best of both worlds for me.

Shawn

I sent the payment off for one of them about a week and a half ago. Will be going in a T2A, Surgeon DBM, Brux light palma cut to 20", 4-16x50 S&B PMII, 6.5x47L.

Let us know how that 20" 6.5x47L works for you. I have a 26" 1:8.5 Brux on a M2008 Gen2 and it shoots great.

-pd

Got the m2008 back from Badger. Marty fixed it and shipped it back to me in one day. He answered all of my questions and concerns as well as debunking some internet rumors. He also explained to me that the raceway had missed a simple polishing procedure before being shipped out to me. Now the bolt lift and travel are very smooth. Customer service does not get any better.

I only have about 1000 rounds through mine but it operates flawlessly. It does have a heavy bolt lift. Also, it is not the easiest action to single feed but it runs throught the mag well.