• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes M21 Scope recommendation

bruceknoch

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
I have a recently purchased M21 that needs to have a scope placed on it. I'm going to be shooting 800-1000 yrds. I have no budget limit on this purchase.

Could anyone offer any suggestions for a scope and add why this is the recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

Re: M21 Scope recommendation

Same rifle here. I choose a USO 1.8-10x37mm Tpal for mine, and Sadlak ABN mount. I don't have the scope yet from USO, so I can't comment yet on that. However the reasons for the choice were this; it is streamline for mounting it low, I was able to get every feature I wanted in a scope from USO, and mainly I wanted the very best US made scope for my US rifle.

My particular M21 I figured would be doing more shooting inside 600 yards. Conservatively speaking the M21 is not the ultimate 1000yd rifle. 1000yds is pushing it. I thought of the 17x USO, but was reminded of them M40s in the Marine corps I drooled over with just their 10x Unertl optics. That and the wide field of view with the low 1.8 power made me think the Scope I have on order might just be perfect for the limits of this rifle while optimising it for close target engagements.

The old Bausch and Lomb 10X40 tactical. If you cant find one go with Leupold 3.5-10 with 168gr cam.

If you have no budget try this out.
whistle.gif

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-6-24x72-SAM-Tactical-Hensoldt-Telescopic-34mm-Sight-P41085.aspx

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No budget limit you say?

http://swfa.com/Schmidt-Bender-3-12x50-Police-Marksman-LP-34mm-Riflescope-P48995.aspx

Its pretty much everything you could want in a scope. Its a little big, but its also pretty amazing. lol Id normally say, buy one used if you can, but there is also something to be said for brand new, and since you have no budget,... </div></div>

If you are going to spend the money on a new S&B, why would you choose the 3-12x when the 3-20x will be coming out soon?????

If you are not limited to a budget, my choice would be the S&B 3-20x

I currently have a 4-16x 50mm with a P4F reticle on my long range rig and LOVE it. If I were buying a scope today for it, I would buy the 3-20x

Tim

What's the drop on the Leupold M5 scopes? They look pretty impressive. No budget limited though, USO or S&B seem to have the majority.

Stay within the 10X range.
Fixed or varible, the smaller objective the better. 38mm or less on the M21 otherwise cheekweld will suffer.
Yes ther are bigger and better but not with this rig. If I'm wrong then please M21 owners chime in with a pic of your set-up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uawman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay within the 10X range.
Fixed or varible, the smaller objective the better. 38mm or less on the M21 otherwise cheekweld will suffer.
Yes ther are bigger and better but not with this rig. If I'm wrong then please M21 owners chime in with a pic of your set-up! </div></div>

You can get away with a 44mm front objective scope on the M21 using the ARMS #18 and #22 Low rings. The Sadlak mounts sit a tad bit higher.

Regardless which optic you choose, the comb of the standard M21 stock sits too low to get a proper cheekweld, it was designed for irons sights. Plan on gettng a good cheekpad or stock riser or change the stock.

Internal elevation adjustment of the optic should be at least 70 moa. Have not heard of a mount with built in MOA. Plus HOB will be at least 3".

Longer eye relief the better. An optic with 3" of eye relief will not cut it with a standard stock.

Really do not think 10x magnification should be a limiting factor.

I run a USO 1.8-10x37 ERGO on a LRB M25 with a built up Eagle cheek pad. Works great for range work and hog hunting, the 1.8 field of view is huge and you can quickly dial up the magnification as needed.

Merlinn