• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision M2124-LR reviews?

IrishArrow

Team Fat Kid
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Colorado
Does anyone here have any experience yet with them? I have an opportunity to buy one at a great price and I’m looking for reviews in comparison to the Pvs-30.
Interested in:

Battery life, image quality on 12-15x, 1/4 moon light target ID range (yote/deer)comparison etc.

Any feedback is useful guys!

Use: Hunting, target shooting

Platform: ar- 15/10 series, bolt guns <300wm

its not a dramatic difference in performance between a pvs-30 and the lr. more lens on the 30 and maybe a little better low light performance but tube specs can make up alot of that.

the focus adjustment is handier to reach on the lr. thats about it

battery life is a moot point between any of them. im still on my same set of lithiums for 2017 season and i run mine multiple times a week.

unless you can get one anywhere close to the pvs-30 price theres no reason not to get a 30.

The only benefit to them is lighter weight, and focus lever/location. They weigh half of what a 30 does and the focus adjustment is sooooooo much easier to reach especially if you're running a full size LR optic.

They obviously aren't made as beefy as the 30's and aren't recoil rated as high. If you're going to run one on a 300WM get the 30.

Performance is a wash, with either of them you're going to need a good illuminator

Like KS said above. I’ve been running a LR for a looong time. I would take it over a 30 any day but I wouldn’t pay 2x as much for it. I would pay $1000 more for a LR for 3 reasons.

1: weight
2: L3 tube
3: focus adjustment

Make sure it’s either a omega tube or a infinity. There were some non gated ones that aren’t near as good as the two I mentioned.

Jay

Thanks Jay, the unit I’m looking at is the same price as the referbed 30s and is like new. Hard decision between that and the IR Hunter 640

I’d jump on it buddy! They are, IMO, the best clip on I2 out there.

I just took my 2124lr out clear sky and full moon, 9x could see vehicle and type @ 3055 yards, these units are impressive

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger and have a M2124LR on the way for a deal I couldn't pass up. I've already ran a buddies and compared it to the PVS-30's and Simrad PVS-9's but I ordered a Phone Skope as well so in the coming weeks I'll do a mini writeup and get some pics of all of them with and without various types of illumination for everyone to see.

Assuming the Phone Skope works as it should I'll also do comparison pics of my two personal PVS-30's that have a difference of 300 FOM to show everyone that FOM's really don't make any difference even in a gap that big. I'll compare different grades of day optics to show just how big of a difference the quality of day glass makes.

last time i had a lr beside a 30 in overcast low ambient conditions there wasnt much difference to see. if i had to give an edge that night for resolution it would have been the 30. we had a pvs-27 that night and it had a little better res than both the 30 or 24lr. big cat lens do that

I agree, they're a wash. Both suck pretty hard in low ambient light and and illuminator is pretty much required with either unit. With illumination they're both great.

I've never gotten a chance to use a PVS-27. What's the lens diameter on that? How big compared to the KN203? I love the way the KN203's perform in crappy light, it's pretty unreal what you can still see. If a PVS-27 is comparable I'll probably buy one to check out.

i cant say i have a big difference between my 30 and 203 either. the 100mm cat lens on the simrad is nice but the pinnacle tube and response seems to keep it on par with having a smaller lens. we use illum with all units when necessary.

the 27 has 100mm i believe as well.

I had a 2124 with an Omega tube... super clean. I agree that the focus was a bit of a pita.

Does anyone know why the L3 CNVD LR WP units are listed as LE only? Why does the color of the tube make any difference?

Thanks Vic...I've seen the WP versions listed as LE only on several sites, so I just wanted to confirm. And the biggest reason was a unit is listed on Gunbroker (CNVD LR WP), and I wanted to confirm I wouldn't get myself in a bind with warranty issues if it wasn't a "commercial" unit. It's apparently 2 years old, but only 5 hours on the unit, so I'm "eyeing" it but obviously hesitant due to your advice on used night vision.

Thanks Vic...I've seen the WP versions listed as LE only on several sites, so I just wanted to confirm. And the biggest reason was a unit is listed on Gunbroker (CNVD LR WP), and I wanted to confirm I wouldn't get myself in a bind with warranty issues if it wasn't a "commercial" unit. It's apparently 2 years old, but only 5 hours on the unit, so I'm "eyeing" it but obviously hesitant due to your advice on used night vision.

Welcome Sir. I think the biggest factor in buying used is to insure you have an inspection period of some sort of 3-5 days in which allowed to return the unit.