• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24 Barrel length

Boosted306

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2020
a few questions for all the M24 pros out there…

1) Was the M24 LA/.308 ever issued or tested in any length barrel other than 24in? (22? 20?)
2) Does anyone have any info/details on the early prototypes of the XM2010/M24A3? (chambered in? Mags? Barrel length?)

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 24CDA516-0777-4754-8B05-9FAF655B502A.png
    24CDA516-0777-4754-8B05-9FAF655B502A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Officially, there's only the M24, some units sent their rifles in to Remington to get the A2 upgrades and paid for it with unit funds but Big Army didn't like that. I believe part of the A2 upgrade package was the barrel went down to 22" and profiled for the Ops Inc. can so some shorter barrel lengths were used in the wild. Remington advertised an M24A3 but I don't believe it went anywhere officially and I don't believe the rifle in the GunBroker ad is an A3 because if I remember correctly M24A3's would come in an AICS chassis.

That Gun Broker ad looks like a prototype M24E that came about in 2009 as the Army was looking to upgrade/replace the M24's but I think that program eventually morphed into the XM2010 that later got adopted. You see a sneak peek of here in this old video.

That being said the chassis in the ad looks like a later version of the RACS and not the prototype one so I'd be weary of it.

Officially, there's only the M24, some units sent their rifles in to Remington to get the A2 upgrades and paid for it with unit funds but Big Army didn't like that. I believe part of the A2 upgrade package was the barrel went down to 22" and profiled for the Ops Inc. can so some shorter barrel lengths were used in the wild. Remington advertised an M24A3 but I don't believe it went anywhere officially and I don't believe the rifle in the GunBroker ad is an A3 because if I remember correctly M24A3's would come in an AICS chassis.

That Gun Broker ad looks like a prototype M24E that came about in 2009 as the Army was looking to upgrade/replace the M24's but I think that program eventually morphed into the XM2010 that later got adopted. You see a sneak peek of here in this old video.

That being said the chassis in the ad looks like a later version of the RACS and not the prototype one so I'd be weary of it.

Thank you very much for your response! Was the M24E chambered in .308?
What was the barrel length on the M24E?
What is the difference between the a true prototype RACS chassis vs the later version?

I think the M24E was advertised as being in .300 WM, I don't know the barrel length, 20" maybe, just guessing by looking at the video.

The chassis shown in the video with the M24E has a sloped vented section just forward of the recoil lug while later production RACS chassis had a straight vented section that was parallel with the lug.

Reactions: Boosted306