• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24 Coming Together

81sfo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 5, 2008
    USA HOU TX
    Today i got my 308 barreled action back from my gunsmith Gaupo from here on the hide.He trued and lapped the Rem 700 long action i purchased from TWO SHOES.He Chambered up the Rock m24 barrel that has a 1-11.25 twist and cut to 24".dialed in the Tac ops recoil lug and also installed the front sight block along with crowning m24 style.I orderd the HS stock from Brownells along with the Dakota bottom metal,factory rem follower,and spring.The Leupold mk4 10x m3 mildot scope was purchased from Caliw,a a hide member.The mk4 bases and rings were also bought from hide members also.Ive got an order placed fro Dura cote Combat Black that should be arriving soon,meanwhile ill head out to the range for some breaking in.
    m24guapo.jpg

Re: M24 Coming Together

Out of curiosity, what is dialing in a lug? Checking it for square/parallel surfaces?

Looks great from this side 81. Just need to coat the barrel and bottom metal which you are already taking care of. Also needs a 1-piece scope base unless you are going with a 2-piece for some other reason.

Do you have a dovetail on the left side of the receiver for the rear iron sights to mount?

Congrats on a great M24 clone. Mine rapidly spiraled into something that in the end is not going to look much like an M24 at all.

Got some duracote on the way to blackout the brights.I couldnt find the one piece base with out having to enlarge to 8-40 screws,so im gona stick with the two piece.I read somewhere that the m24s were now using the one and two piece mk4 bases.as for the rear dovetail,no i have no clue where to find them.I wont ever use irons anyhow,the front block is just for looks on this rifle.if you know where i can get the rear dovetail let me know.thanks

I hadnt updated this post with a range report,so here it is.
    First targets are from 100yd initial firing and scope zeroing.I used the factory 168grn Fed GMM on the tiny group shots and the opend group to the right of the bullseye was with some loaded ammo,175smks 43grn Var,3.214 ogive,210m,once fired BHM brass.Since then i uped the charge to 44 varget and seem to do better.
    Last targets are at 300yds.The rifle shoots excellent im not doing my part of course.The recoil with this HS stock is nothing, i guess the heavy barrel is of great help.I was expecting more kick.
    m24projct.jpg

m24100yds3.jpg

m24100yds.jpg

300yds 175smks 44varget,3.214 ogive,210 primers,nosler brass.
    m24300yds.jpg

A little fast firing here,300yds 168 amax,44 varget,3.214 ogive,210 primers,nosler brass.
    m24300yds2.jpg

Looks like you definitely got a good shooting rifle there. I hope you get the 175 SMKs working for you like you want them too. Good shooting on your behalf too, 81.

Nice rifle 81!!! mines getting the stock reworked right now as brownells sent me a crooked stock after all the other trouble I had with em... got a new trigger assembly for it but its comming along I havnt seen it in awhile but this is what it looked like last time I saw it!!! not a spec but more of a look a like I guess...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry bad pic!!! and sorry for the slippers!!!
    gun006.jpg

</div></div>
    nice rifle chriso,is that a police model in short action?Looks good cant go wrong with that set up.

Nice slippers!!!!!

Oh and your rifle aint bad either.

lol

Its a SPS varmint SA .308 I just replaced the trigger with a old factory remington one the Xmark sucks haha Its going to be getting a rock barrel as well... It's the perfect system for me its very familiar. I should have it back by the end of the week and ill see about getting some grouping pics up here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does the mark 4 2 piece have a 20moa slope on it like the 1 piece?</div></div>
    I dont think so,it might be a 15 moa or less,it has very little cant.

It seems like it would be a better idea for someone to make a rear sight that could mount on your 1913 rail......no? Rather than F up a reciever with holes or dovetails. I still want the ability to use iron sights if the world comes to an end and the glass cracks, but have yet to find a reasonably priced set up that is KISS......so Guapo is the man for M24?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems like it would be a better idea for someone to make a rear sight that could mount on your 1913 rail......no? Rather than F up a reciever with holes or dovetails. I still want the ability to use iron sights if the world comes to an end and the glass cracks, but have yet to find a reasonably priced set up that is KISS......so Guapo is the man for M24?</div></div>
    Yep i sennt him all the parts,the action tac ops oversize recoil lug and he sold me the Rock barrel.i sent him the front sight block with spec on where to place it, along with the dimensions of the crown.he took care of it in a very timely manner.And it really shoots,just i havent done my part yet.Ill get more range pics this weekend and i should have a decent group.

good to hear, guapo is also doing mine. I'm waiting on some backorder parts right now, then off to him!

Yes, as a matter of fact i just got the rifle to look right after many tries on the duracote.It was turning out way too glossy and i was having some problems with the bolt release lever getting stuck in the release position.I tried another type of coating and switched triggers.I worked on the bolt ways and the bolt to get it to cycle smoothly after all the paint and aluminum oxide that was making the action rough.
    I also sold the 10x mk4 mildot and replaced it with the TMR version reticle,which i some how shoot better with.
    I spent some time this weekend loading 168smks,175smks and a few 190smks ,so the rifle is ready to go to the range.
    Im excited because now it finnaly looks like an m24,at least to me.Ill post some good pics tomorrow.thanks
    bsp212 you getting ansy yet for yours to be done already?

Patiently waiting on my barrel from the rock group buy....

Found a source for front sight bases, but no rear as of yet.

2pc. scope mount seems to be a thing of the past too.

Did you mean one piece or two piece base?didnt understand. I saw at triadtactical.com there is a listing for a badger m24 one piece base but you have to go 8-40 screws did you see that?
    Im sticking with the two piece mk4 for now ,if i find an old leupold one peice ill switch over.
    The rear sight is pretty much out of stock everywhere ive looked.

Sorry, I was referring to the 2pc Mark 4 scope bases. Badger 1pc seems to be plentiful. I'll probably go with that and convert to 8-40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, as a matter of fact i just got the rifle to look right after many tries on the duracote.It was turning out way too glossy and i was having some problems with the bolt release lever getting stuck in the release position.I tried another type of coating and switched triggers.I worked on the bolt ways and the bolt to get it to cycle smoothly after all the paint and aluminum oxide that was making the action rough.
    I also sold the 10x mk4 mildot and replaced it with the TMR version reticle,which i some how shoot better with.
    I spent some time this weekend loading 168smks,175smks and a few 190smks ,so the rifle is ready to go to the range.
    Im excited because now it finnaly looks like an m24,at least to me.Ill post some good pics tomorrow.thanks
    bsp212 you getting ansy yet for yours to be done already? </div></div>

How did you figure out to make it less glossy?

You cant find the 2 piece bases then?i just sold some i took off one of my other rifle.They come a go here for about 65 bucks.
    When do you expect the barrel to come in?

I've been watching around here for some for sale.

Barrel will be June or July at best.

good deal man, i hope time flys by for you so you can get the rifle together soon.i looked at a couple books while i waited on mine to come together.To Be A Military Sniper and Military and Police Sniper both books kept me busy when i was holding for my m24.check em out.

I'll check the books out if I get the chance, but I've got plenty to keep me busy. I'm working on acquiring parts for 3 builds right now - possibly 4 if I pick up a Surgeon action I have a line on. Currently waiting on 2 barrels, the Rock and a Krieger. Haven't decided on the third. I may try a Bartlein. I've heard good things about them.