• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m24 contour

smboudreaux

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Addis, La
guys i've searched all morn and i haven't found my answer so i'm going to the masses.

i'll be ordering an a-4 from jw precision here shortly. they come with an m24 barrel contour. i've read #7 & i've read #8. how does this relate to remington barrel contour? either an sps-v of 5r will be the barreled action going in there. is the m24 barrel heavier than the 5r or sps-v barrels?

Re: m24 contour

Its quite a bit heavier. For starters the M24 is a strait taper from I believe 4" in front of the lug where the remmys tapper down right after the chamber and then change taper for the rest of the way down the barrel.

http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/prod01.htm

This page shows the different contours and their measurements, Remmy varmint is down the page a bit

Yes...the M24 contour is definitely heavier than a standard Remington Varmint/Heavy Varmint contour. While Rock Creek's contours may vary some from other top barrel mfgs (like Bartlein for ex.), you will find that the M24 is always a heavier profile.

You shouldn't have any problems at all putting a 5R barreled action into a stock that has an M24 barrel channel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You shouldn't have any problems at all putting a 5R barreled action into a stock that has an M24 barrel channel. </div></div>

thanks fellas. will the gap between the barrel and stock be overly large?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smboudreaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You shouldn't have any problems at all putting a 5R barreled action into a stock that has an M24 barrel channel. </div></div>

thanks fellas. will the gap between the barrel and stock be overly large? </div></div>

This is a Rem Varmint contour dropped in one of the USMC Return stocks, which has an M40 contour.

100_1305.jpg

This one is Rock Creek in Rem Varmint Contour barrel dropped in an A5 inletted for a #7 Contour. It doesn't do anything to the way it shoots. Just bolt it in and run it, it's no big deal. I'd be far more concerned on how it shoots as compared to how much air is showing between the barrel and stock.

DSC_3374.jpg

Although very close, the Schneider m40 spec barrel is a different contour from a rock m24/m40 barrel. My Schneider is actually a little thinner towards the muzzle end than the rock.