• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24/M40 barrel vs heavy varmint

chu2001

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
I am putting together a 308WIN bolt for bench target shooting on AI 2.0 chassis and just wondering which contour will be best fit for it. Narrow it down to either M24/M40 24-26" or heavy varmint 26" barrel. This bolt will shoot 168 to 190 max in 308.
Is there any benefit for going with the heavy varmint instead of M24 or should I stick with M24/M40?
Right now, I will most likely select the M24/M40 because it is a bit lighter than heavy varmint.

Thank you

Re: M24/M40 barrel vs heavy varmint

if its just for bench shooting, i suggest going with the heavier contour. If you plan on carrying it go lighter and shorter.

It is most likely 80% bench riffle and maybe 10-20% carry. With that said, I am not sure how much weigh different between 20" vs 26" on M24 barrel?

Thank you.

Krieger has weight listed with each contour. Should give you an idea.

Thank you. I guess it is about 5.0 lbs for 20" barrel. In that case, I think I can handle 1 additional lb for 26" barrel instead of 20".

Side by side you would notice a fair diference between an M40 countour and a varmint. My M40A1 was a tank, it did shoot well but not fun to haul around much. If you are doing .308 you really don't need more than 20" or a med. Palma or varmint / sendero contour barrel. Get it all put together by someone reputable and it will shoot if you do your part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Side by side you would notice a fair diference between an M40 countour and a varmint. My M40A1 was a tank, it did shoot well but not fun to haul around much. If you are doing .308 you really don't need more than 20" or a med. Palma or varmint / sendero contour barrel. Get it all put together by someone reputable and it will shoot if you do your part. </div></div>

I just finished an FN SPR build, with McM A4, and a 25.5" (action face to crown) barrel + little bastard brake. With base, rings, premier 5-25 and bipod, it weighs 18lb.

Its a pig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Side by side you would notice a fair diference between an M40 countour and a varmint. My M40A1 was a tank, it did shoot well but not fun to haul around much. If you are doing .308 you really don't need more than 20" or a med. Palma or varmint / sendero contour barrel. Get it all put together by someone reputable and it will shoot if you do your part. </div></div>

OP said Heavy varmint which would be a Krieger and is pretty comparable in weight to the M40/MTU contour.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Side by side you would notice a fair diference between an M40 countour and a varmint. My M40A1 was a tank, it did shoot well but not fun to haul around much. If you are doing .308 you really don't need more than 20" or a med. Palma or varmint / sendero contour barrel. Get it all put together by someone reputable and it will shoot if you do your part. </div></div>

OP said Heavy varmint which would be a Krieger and is pretty comparable in weight to the M40/MTU contour. </div></div>

To each their own but I would seriously reconsider such a heavy contour on a .308.

Thank you for all the info. I went ahead and ordered Barlien M24/M40 barrel for this bolt. Will update when I get it in :).