• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24 magazine capacity question

ryan9000

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2009
I hope this wasn't covered anywhere, and I tried searching, but anyways what is it that gives the normal m24 its internal magazine capacity of 5 rounds instead of the normal four. Is it the stock, or is it something about the magazine spring/follower? I was just wondering if its possible to convert a standard Remington to hold 5 rounds instead of four.

Re: M24 magazine capacity question

The standard 700 follower has four little guide ears on the bottom (two fore, two aft). Grind off those little guides and the fifth round fits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gol1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5+1 </div></div>
As I am sure you guys have used plenty I have to take your word for it. Great place to get info. So what is the answer to the original question?

i love the things i find out here that never crossed my mind otherwise.

Thanks all for the quick replies, obviously I dropped the ball on getting back soon. I gonna assume that if the guide ears are ground off, it doesn't cause any feeding or reliability issues, and that you can also close the bolt over top of the fifth round. And thanks again for the quick answer

Standard Rem 700's have a stamped sheet metal design. Grinding the 4 ears off will allow it to go down far enough to fit 5+1.

However, the M24 uses a machined aluminum follower that allows 5+1.