• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24 questions

jcmullis2

Don’t run you’ll only die tired
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 12, 2020
    USA
    I need help from soldiers with m24 experience and others with similar time with the rifle.
    First, how important is it have the Redfield or Trakker peep sight and globe? The ones I’ve seen didn’t have them on the rifle but they might have had them put up.
    Does the army issue m24 have Remington roll markings on the barrel?
    I have a 30 cal rock creek barrel blank with the 1:11.2 twist. The rifle is a R700 m24 300wm with a Remington marked barrel. My plan is to chamber the rock creek barrel in 7.62nato and cut wrench flats on both barrels so they can be swapped out pretty easy. Buy a regular long action bolt for the 7.62 case head.
    I see m24’s selling for around $3k and I don’t wanna spend more than that on the rifle itself. If I get the peep sights I’m over budget. If I don’t do the switch barrel for 7.62 ammo and bolt I’ll be within budget. I don’t plan to shoot it much so it’s more like a collectors thing. What do you guys think I should do?

If you're gonna have something built and you want it as a collector's item is then build it to exact spec and nothing else. Otherwise you just have a custom rifle that you like that some were so the M24.

Regarding the backup sites, yes they're highly sought after for those that want to go with the real deal or their clones Not exactly easy to come by. Check out the link below for a sight.

You can also check out eBay for the Redfield Palma… they show up regularly.

If you're gonna have something built and you want it as a collector's item is then build it to exact spec and nothing else. Otherwise you just have a custom rifle that you like that some were so the M24.

Regarding the backup sites, yes they're highly sought after for those that want to go with the real deal or their clones Not exactly easy to come by. Check out the link below for a sight.

You can also check out eBay for the Redfield Palma… they show up regularly.
    I seen one of the trakker sights but it says for left hand shooters. I didn’t know there was a left hand version of the m24. Maybe they mean the mount holes are on the left. I’ll call them later on today and clarify what they meant. They have several trakkers sights that are similar but I’ll wait until the genuine article is up for sale. You’re right there’s no reason to modify/ruin the rifle with wrench flats on barrels. Thanks for the help buddy

Agree that if you want an M24, you need to build it correct.

Nothing wrong with spending your money however you feel fit, but a clone style build that is a little different is always going to be off in the back of your mind everytime you call it an "M24" . For your collectability purposes, that's going to eat at you over time.

The vast majority of commercial Remington 700, M24 rifles - as well as their rebuild program rifles - did not come with the palma sights, only the bases. For a guy building a full deployment kit, it becomes necessary to get these. For a range toy, its no big deal not to have them.

I have an M24R. It has the same Remington roll markings on the barrel that every other Remington has unless I've lost my mind and am mis-remembering. Bear in mind that the barreled actions on these were brand new when Remington Defense sold them off, and I'm not historically smart enough on the subject to know if this is inconsistent with the originals.

If you're doing this once in your life, and you're a fan of the M24...I don't think there's a reason why you shouldn't get/build the real deal.

Reactions: jcmullis2
    easy peasy.

I seen one of the trakker sights but it says for left hand shooters. I didn’t know there was a left hand version of the m24. Maybe they mean the mount holes are on the left. I’ll call them later on today and clarify what they meant. They have several trakkers sights that are similar but I’ll wait until the genuine article is up for sale. You’re right there’s no reason to modify/ruin the rifle with wrench flats on barrels. Thanks for the help buddy
    Maybe the page didn't load right, they have right hands on there.

As far as I know there were no left hand rifles made, But I could be wrong. Mine was rh, long action if memory serves... That was better than 20 hrs and a lot of rifles ago.

Who shoots irons these days? Unless you have the full display kit, skip it.
    I do on my 40x but in 22lr. The next modification I do to my 308 will be Drilled and tapped for iron sights... For me it's just a lot more fun.

Agree that if you want an M24, you need to build it correct.

Nothing wrong with spending your money however you feel fit, but a clone style build that is a little different is always going to be off in the back of your mind everytime you call it an "M24" . For your collectability purposes, that's going to eat at you over time.

The vast majority of commercial Remington 700, M24 rifles - as well as their rebuild program rifles - did not come with the palma sights, only the bases. For a guy building a full deployment kit, it becomes necessary to get these. For a range toy, its no big deal not to have them.

I have an M24R. It has the same Remington roll markings on the barrel that every other Remington has unless I've lost my mind and am mis-remembering. Bear in mind that the barreled actions on these were brand new when Remington Defense sold them off, and I'm not historically smart enough on the subject to know if this is inconsistent with the originals.

If you're doing this once in your life, and you're a fan of the M24...I don't think there's a reason why you shouldn't get/build the real deal.
    It’s a m24 but the remy barrel caused me a little suspicion so I picked up a rock creek barrel for future reference. However the designer of the m24a2 & a3 straightened that out for me yesterday. Remington evidently used rock creek barrels for a little while and then started making the barrels to specification in house and that’s why some are Remington and others not.
    None of the sights for sale online here in the USA are correct M24 Rear iron sights. There’s a trakker Target sight on EBay but it’s obviously the wrong one too. I have a online machining buddy in England that might can get them. He’s supposed to let me know in the next day or so. Considering the cost of the sights here I’ll probably just buy the MARS listed on gunbroker if he can’t get any there for a fair price. It’s best to wait for the genuine article to get listed. At least a MARS would see the light of day every now and again.

Maybe this?
    It doesn’t look like the right one either, but thanks just the same. I’m going to hold out until the right sight comes along and buy the Mars on gunbroker for now. Thanks again