• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24 Receiver Question?

N2DADARK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
I know there is a M24SWS form out there and I have been reading it over, but little is about receiver options. I have the stock ready and next on my list is the Receiver. I know LA is what I want and I've been looking around, I dont want an exact copy of the M24 I want something similar but better (if that makes sense).

My question is should I stick with a standard Rem. 700 LA or should I upgrade to the 700 LA Magnum? Caliber is more than likely staying 308 for some time, and brownells is having a sale one them, Im wondering if this is going to be over kill or even work with my stock? Thanks

Re: M24 Receiver Question?

One nice thing about the .308 LA as opposed to the SA is that it isnt difficult to seat heavy rounds like .208 Amax there are less clearence issues in the internal mag.

If you are building an M24 clone there are no options, the Remington long action is all its ever been, that is why they are not discussed in the build thread. If you want to build a long action .308 that's a very different proposition do not call it an M24, and don't bother concerning yourself with specs, you'll have a better rifle in the end anyway. Badger, Surgeon and others make long actions, most are on the 700 foot print, they are all made to tighter tolerances than the mass produced low cost Remington, most, are alledged to be stronger/stiffer as well.

if you are going to build a 308, you DO NOT want the magnum action. you want a .473" bolt face for a 308, short action or long action.

Just stick with the standard 700 LA and later on you can convert it over to a Magnum action. You can swap out the bolt entirely or have a gunsmith open up the face on your bolt to accept the magnum cartridge and have the barrel rechambered.