• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24 Subsonic 200 Gr Lapua Results

Wally2000

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2018
Hi All,

Shooting subs in a slow twist 308 can be tricky. At 11.25", my M24 "shouldnt" work with most heavy 30cal bullets. However, I got some 200 gr lapua subsonic bullets and through some trial and error found the sweet spot. The load is below as are photos taken from a 90 yard group.

Case: Once fired from Federal 175 match
Bullet: Lapua 308 subsonic (part: 4PL7060-Lapua )
Powder: Trailboss at 10.5 gr
OAL: 2.801"
Primer: Winchester
Velocity: 1000 fps
34665443_10216757348872474_7308934482566840320_n.jpg
IMG_0977.jpg

Reactions: Dylan84
The Lapua 200gr grain subsonic bullets are much shorter than typical 200gr match bullets. As a result it does not require as much of a twist to stabilize them at slower velocities. Compare the same load using a 200gr matchking and see what happens. I can get 220gr round nose to shoot really well subsonic (1,050 fps) but 220gr MatchKings keyhole with the same powder and velocity in a 1:10 AI AT.

Finding a decent SS load is a challenge. It looks like you are off to a great start!

The Lapua 200gr grain subsonic bullets are much shorter than typical 200gr match bullets. As a result it does not require as much of a twist to stabilize them at slower velocities. Compare the same load using a 200gr matchking and see what happens. I can get 220gr round nose to shoot really well subsonic (1,050 fps) but 220gr MatchKings keyhole with the same powder and velocity in a 1:10 AI AT.

Finding a decent SS load is a challenge. It looks like you are off to a great start!

Good info! Yea im not going to try much else since I grabbed a bunch of those 200 sub bullets. Id try a 220 round nose if one of my friends uses em, so I can grab just a few.

Wally,

Based on the group posted you will struggle to get a better result than what you are already experiencing. Now go out and shoot a deer with that load ... really fun and works really well.

Wally,

Based on the group posted you will struggle to get a better result than what you are already experiencing. Now go out and shoot a deer with that load ... really fun and works really well.

Yea I like how it is, not gonna mess with it. How do these work on deer? Sub 100 yard do they hit hard enough and is there any expansion?

Yea I like how it is, not gonna mess with it. How do these work on deer? Sub 100 yard do they hit hard enough and is there any expansion?

With a closed tip you will get zero expansion.

Here is a sierra round nose at 1050 muzzle velocity that went in a does neck and down the body through its entire backstrap before stopping right before the hip bone. You can see that it basically only deformed in the exposed lead.
SO if thats what a big inviting lead tip does imagine how little your closed tip will do.
1529345821184.jpeg

FJ0VCGE.jpg

There are several bullets designed to expand at low speeds, the nosler 220 ballistic tip is supposedly designed to at sub speeds and would be the first I would go to followed by the lehigh. The lehigh are just expensive.

I dont shoot animals with subsonic anymore, they just dont do enough damage unless you put it in a central nerve.

Shot a deer in the neck at 90-ish yards with a .308 hornady RN 220 gr. The deer died instantly and the bullet left a softball sized exit wound on the backside. Needless to say all were impressed.

Now go shoot it at distance like 400 to 600 yards. Fun as heck to hear the gong at 500 yds

Shot a deer in the neck at 90-ish yards with a .308 hornady RN 220 gr. The deer died instantly and the bullet left a softball sized exit wound on the backside. Needless to say all were impressed.
Sub or supersonic though?

I use almost the exact same components for my Surgeon CSR (16" barrel). I use Lake City Brass, 175 SMK's, 10.5 grains of Trail Boss and Winchester primers.

Question: Did you need to drill open your flash holes in the brass? I opened mine up with a 9/64 drill I believe as that was recommended. Wondering if you are seeing any issues if you have not done that.

Now go shoot it at distance like 400 to 600 yards. Fun as heck to hear the gong at 500 yds
oh thats the plan! hope my scope has enough travel haha. Ill lob em in.