• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24 trigger in Remington 700

What is the difference
The 40x trigger was an adjustable commercial trigger. The M24 trigger was uniquely "modified" to make it "soldier proof" and each unit empirically tested 5 times via a 100% Q/C process by Remington Defense personnel, per the M24 contract. Here's the details:

M24 Sniper Weapons System
February 28, 2017
M24 Sniper Rifle – Details Matter
Author: Michael Haugen

(Excerpt):
THE TRIGGER

One component of the M24 specification was the requirement for a user adjustable trigger (“the rifle shall have a trigger pull capable of being adjusted by the user”). The trigger weight was to be not less than 2 lbs 8oz and “more” than 4lbs (it could exceed 4 lbs). As a result of these specifications, Remington modified their existing trigger by adding a screw and a spring in the trigger shoe than can be adjusted by the operator. This trigger is called the “M24 Fire Control” and is normally only used on the M24 series of rifles (M24, M24A2, M24A3).

While the M24 Fire Control is technically unique, truthfully it is as stated a standard Remington commercial 700 trigger (fire control) with a screw and a spring in the trigger shoe to allow it to be adjusted by the user. It is worth noting that “adjustment” is a relative term when it comes to this trigger. What I mean is that the trigger is manufactured (set up) to be somewhere between 3.5 and 5 lbs (they try to get around 3.8 – 4lbs), however the adjustment screw can never make it any lighter, only heavier. In other words, the screw can be completely removed without making the trigger/weapon unsafe and in fact many sniper students do exactly that. The intent of the requirement was to give the sniper an adjustable trigger (as I know the shooters involved with development specified), however soldiers being soldiers, if there is a screw that can be manipulated, it will be and Remington did not want a weapon system that could be made unsafe.
1669817466573.png

It’s worth noting that each M24 Fire Control is set and then tested with 5 pulls; the trigger must produce a pull force less than 5lbs throughout the test to be used. Once the trigger is set, the sear engagement screw is peened; a punch is used to dent the screw pathway so that that it cannot back out. Also, all three adjustment screws are coated with a shellac material that dries hard. Usually this shellac is red, but I have seen clear as well.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I never found the M24 trigger to be all that great and unless you're trying to go for an exacting clone, even a Timney 510 is a better trigger in my experience. It has a wide trigger shoe like the M24's trigger so it will have the look but it feels better and it can be set at a lower trigger pull weight while remaining safe.

I agree for a custom trigger there are much better triggers, but for a 100% clone it is a "must have". I've had several M24 triggers in the past (have 3 right now) and they have all felt fine to me. I do have other rifles with top brand triggers and they are better.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I never found the M24 trigger to be all that great and unless you're trying to go for an exacting clone, even a Timney 510 is a better trigger in my experience. It has a wide trigger shoe like the M24's trigger so it will have the look but it feels better and it can be set at a lower trigger pull weight while remaining safe.
Thanks! My son is in Army and he received exceptional on is shooting and he wants to get better so i am doing my best to build a M24 for him on a rem 700!

Everyone,
I greatly appreciate the responses! My son is in the Army and received "Exceptional" on his shooting qualification. I asked the question, as I am trying to build the M24 as close as possible on the rem 700. again, the responses have been fantastic! thanks!

I agree for a custom trigger there are much better triggers, but for a 100% clone it is a "must have". I've had several M24 triggers in the past (have 3 right now) and they have all felt fine to me. I do have other rifles with top brand triggers and they are better.
I am building an M24 out of rem 700 for my son who is in the army, is why i asked the question. I am going to buy a trigger as soon as i can. i saw one on gunbroker or somewhere. thanks!

Everyone,
I greatly appreciate the responses! My son is in the Army and received "Exceptional" on his shooting qualification. I asked the question, as I am trying to build the M24 as close as possible on the rem 700. again, the responses have been fantastic! thanks!
If anyone know where I can get a quality M24 trigger from, please let me know.

To shoot or practice the M24 trigger offers nothing the 700 trigger does not. It’s for clone builders.
Something odd here.
Exceptional is for kindergarten grade cards.

Ok. I was not in the Army but in the 5 mins I got to talk to my son during his Basic Training he told me he qualified high or something. Again it was a quick call. But thanks anyway for the info.
That's cool, when we qualified expert in basic we got a pass to go see a movie and have some extra time to go to the px.

What made you want to clone an M24?

That's cool, when we qualified expert in basic we got a pass to go see a movie and have some extra time to go to the px.

What made you want to clone an M24?
I live on a farm and want him to be able to have the same look and feel of M24 when practicing to shoot while he is here. I am reading some of the comments in the thread and it seems there isn't much differences with the trigger of rem700 and m24. I assumed there would be but maybe not..... I real do appreciate the info. this thread is pretty cool!

You may want to reconsider your choice for a rifle. Seems to me the up-and-coming SDMR is the M110A1, a gas gun based on the HK417. Maybe a large frame AR would be a better training tool for the young man.

I live on a farm and want him to be able to have the same look and feel of M24 when practicing to shoot while he is here. I am reading some of the comments in the thread and it seems there isn't much differences with the trigger of rem700 and m24. I assumed there would be but maybe not..... I real do appreciate the info. this thread is pretty cool!
My question is why a rem700? He didn’t qualify with that weapon in basic. He shot an m4/m16. He won’t likely ever touch an m24 unless he is assigned to a scout platoon or in sniper school. The line dog DMR is usually an m14 or a somewhat gussied up AR platform if their lucky.

My question is why a rem700? He didn’t qualify with that weapon in basic. He shot an m4/m16. He won’t likely ever touch an m24 unless he is assigned to a scout platoon or in sniper school.
Well, my understanding is that most US Army M24s were converted to the M2010 about a decade ago, so I seriously doubt one would see an M24 rifle in the regular US Army unit for the past 10 years. (My buddy who went through US Army sniper school at Ft Benning in 2009 turned in his M24 in 2011 after his tour in Afghanistan, he said his unit's M24 rifles were being shipped back to Remington to be converted to the M2010 in 300 WinMag).

As far as I understand, the last users of the M24A2 appear to the US Airforce, but I did spot an old-school M24 at a National Guard event recently, so that's the last hold-out. Again, as for regular Army snipers, the M24 is likely the long gone, and has been for a while. Remington Defense's contract with Big Army was to rebuild all serviceable M24s into the 300 WinMag XM2010/M2010 - and that was a decade ago. Here's the original XM2010 (300 WinMag) circa 2010 that was once an M24. Presumably this is what one would see today as a US Army sniper - at least that is my understanding.

XM2010_with_case.jpg

You may want to reconsider your choice for a rifle. Seems to me the up-and-coming SDMR is the M110A1, a gas gun based on the HK417. Maybe a large frame AR would be a better training tool for the young man.
That's true, here's the current US Army Squad Designated Marksman Rifle (aka M110A1), which is a whole different animal from the old bolt-action M24.
(I guess the civilian H&K MR762A1 that comes with black furniture would be the closest equivalent to what a US Army SDMR is currently issued)
HK_M110A1_right_v2.png

The original M24 was first issued in 1989ish, so I guess it qualifies as a "vintage" sniper rifle at this point... Nothing wrong with an old school M24R (I like mine), but the US Army has moved on to a newer and much more capable 300 WinMag system that is effective out to 1500+ meters. My 2cts.

Well, my understanding is that most US Army M24s were converted to the M2010 about a decade ago, so I seriously doubt one would see an M24 rifle in the regular US Army unit for the past 10 years. (My buddy who went through US Army sniper school at Ft Benning in 2009 turned in his M24 in 2011 after his tour in Afghanistan, he said his unit's M24 rifles were being shipped back to Remington to be converted to the M2010 in 300 WinMag).

As far as I understand, the last users of the M24A2 appear to the US Airforce, but I did spot an old-school M24 at a National Guard event recently, so that's the last hold-out. Again, as for regular Army snipers, the M24 is likely the long gone, and has been for a while. Remington Defense's contract with Big Army was to rebuild all serviceable M24s into the 300 WinMag XM2010/M2010 - and that was a decade ago. Here's the original XM2010 (300 WinMag) circa 2010 that was once an M24. Presumably this is what one would see today as a US Army sniper - at least that is my understanding.

View attachment 8016564

That's true, here's the current US Army Squad Designated Marksman Rifle (aka M110A1), which is a whole different animal from the old bolt-action M24.
(I guess the civilian H&K MR762A1 that comes with black furniture would be the closest equivalent to what a US Army SDMR is currently issued)
View attachment 8016566

The original M24 was first issued in 1989ish, so I guess it qualifies as a "vintage" sniper rifle at this point... Nothing wrong with an old school M24R (I like mine), but the US Army has moved on to a newer and much more capable 300 WinMag system that is effective out to 1500+ meters. My 2cts.
You are correct, my statement was more geared toward when and if he would ever run across that platform. I should have clarified. My nephew is in the NG, and they are running same equipment as you posted as well. If it has made it all the way to the podunk Arkansas NG, then it is everywhere by now. He sent me this a few months ago after some training. Will get him to tell me what they still have in the arms room at his NG unit.
A9A7C787-F757-4E06-BE02-2CC8E8762469.jpeg

Hey, we have a guy here who has a kid in the military (which is pretty awesome these days given the retardedness of the leadership...) and he wants to help his kid become a better marksman.

I don't care what platform the kid gets to shoot. Or minutae.

Let's help the OP find a nice rifle for his kid to 'Be all that he can be."

Holy shit, that dates me!

Anyway... looks like a good chance to share info and guide someone who wants a rifle that his kid can 'grow' by shooting. Who cares what it's called. Let's get him some good advice to get the kid a great Christmas Present or similar.

Sirhr

If anyone know where I can get a quality M24 trigger from, please let me know.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/961056907

Buy one from Joint Force Enterprises (JFE) on Gunbroker. They've sold hundreds of these triggers in the past year, they're legit Army used M24/M2010 takeoffs. Even if you don't get the one in this auction listing they'll list another, then another, then another...... there's no shortage of them.

Hey, we have a guy here who has a kid in the military (which is pretty awesome these days given the retardedness of the leadership...) and he wants to help his kid become a better marksman.

I don't care what platform the kid gets to shoot. Or minutae.

Let's help the OP find a nice rifle for his kid to 'Be all that he can be."

Holy shit, that dates me!

Anyway... looks like a good chance to share info and guide someone who wants a rifle that his kid can 'grow' by shooting. Who cares what it's called. Let's get him some good advice to get the kid a great Christmas Present or similar.

Sirhr
Great reply Sir! +1

Been there, done that.

Wish I had some pertinent information to share

Apparently the last M24-to-M2010 conversion/replacement was back in 2014, so in theory all of the US Army M24s are now M2010s, so unless there were some extra M24s not on the books to be converted, it's unlikely you'll see any more US Army personnel with US Army M24s. That doesn't count any JSDF or IDF (or any other foreign military who uses them) M24s in the hands of US Army personnel when they do some buddy-buddy stuff and get to play with each other's toys on the range, of course.

USAF may or may not still be using the M24. I'm not sure about that one. I don't think I've seen any photos past 2014 of them, but you won't have photos of everything.

Reactions: davidpbates123
OP Instead of building up a 700 into an M24 clone, you'd likely accomplish your purpose by buying a Rem. 700P in 308, and, if you can find one, it'll likely cost you less than building a clone of the M24. There's a 700P in .300 WM on GB right now.

View attachment 8016564

View attachment 8016566

thank you so much! If i want the 308 version it look like the 417 lower and the MR308A1 is the version! is that correct/

My question is why a rem700? He didn’t qualify with that weapon in basic. He shot an m4/m16. He won’t likely ever touch an m24 unless he is assigned to a scout platoon or in sniper school. The line dog DMR is usually an m14 or a somewhat gussied up AR platform if their lucky.
Agreed. He is going into Ranger school with hopes to go to snipper school.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
IMG-7421.jpg

40x on the left...M24 on the right

Attachments

• IMG-7420.jpg
    IMG-7420.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-7419.jpg
    IMG-7419.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: davidpbates123
Sorry flydoc, my 40x triggers are the same as the pic Trigger Monkey posted.

yup its a 40x XMARK adjustable
that's what happens when I go digging in the bottom bin...
my bad

All,
Thanks for the help is figuring out what direction to go. I did build a gun and you can see it in the picture but it is a PSA PA10 .308. The barrel is a little longer than the M1101A1 H&K that I am trying to build a replica of but it works. The bipod and scope is the one that comes on the M1101A1. Let me know what you think!
20230114_154958.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
All,
Thanks for the help is figuring out what direction to go. I did build a gun and you can see it in the picture but it is a PSA PA10 .308. The barrel is a little longer than the M1101A1 H&K that I am trying to build a replica of but it works. The bipod and scope is the one that comes on the M1101A1. Let me know what you think! View attachment 8050123
how does it shoot?

sorry for the novel
Tell your kid not to give up on his dreams of sniper school. When I was in basic, our drills told us it would never happen, and to stop asking about it. 5 years later, and I’m taking over a sniper section, B4 qualified and have quite a few more advanced sniper schools and training opportunities under my belt. Not sure where your son will be stationed, but tell him he’s going to most certainly have to try out for a spot in a scout platoon. Then work his way into a sniper section. It won’t be easy, it won’t be given to him, but it will be worth it.

To settle some debate above.

The army has no M24’s in service. There is no such thing as an “off the books rifle”. Air Force sniper teams like the DAGRE guys still use the M24. I had an air force guy in sniper school with me.

We use 2010’s still but they’ll be phased out or obsolete sooner or later. We now have Barrett MRADs to replace them with barrels in .308, .300NM, and .338NM. This rifle will replace the .50 cal also. We don’t even pull ours out of the cage anymore.

We still heavily use M110 (not the A1). I don’t see it going anywhere, anytime soon. Primarily because you can’t realistically replace it with a bolt rifle for rapid target engagement for targets within 500m.

The HK M110A1 is a decent gun, but HK and the Army seriously dropped the ball on the barrel. It’s good as a squad designated marksmen rifle. But not really up to par for the needs of section. We took ours to the Mountain Warfare school house in Vermont for Mountain Rifleman and had a pretty good time with it. Making 850m shots with 18-20mph full value winds became easier as the week progressed. But at the end of the day, I’ll never choose it over a KAC M110

Reactions: impactaddict
Also, let your son know that there is nothing sexy about being a sniper (other than range days). Shooting is only 5% of the job. The other 95% is pain, being dirty, sweaty and smelly.

If you have any questions, you’re always welcome to DM me!

Son: Dad, what's it like being a sniper?

Dad: Ok, see that puddle over there? Go lay in and stare at the bushes.

Son: Ok, now what?

Dad: Nothing, stay there and stare at the bushes until I tell you to get up.

Son: What if I have to go to the bathroom?

Dad: So?

Son:.........

Son: This sucks.

Dad: (chuckles) Yeah.....now count the leaves.

I read range day and it reminded me of a funny story from a range day long ago when we were doing some fam fire with the M24's and some of the other guys in the platoon. Anyway, we had this one guy get down behind the gun and I give him a quick rundown on the optic, dealing with the wind, etc. We were at 400 meters so it wasn't too far but he rips five rounds off at a pretty good clip and when he's done I asked him what he held for wind. He replied with "Wind? I don't need the wind, it holds for me" or some dumb shit like that. We go down to the pits to get the targets and sure enough this asshat completely missed a B28....not a hole in it anywhere. Back at the line he's acting like he's shot the tightest group out of anyone and then we show him his target. Damn narcissist starts getting pissed because he thinks we swapped his target out so he searches the back of the trucks and we're all just dyin'....he was just a piss poor shot. Turns out a piss poor human too....he welched on us days before we went to AFG faking a back injury but karma got him good enough later on.

Anyway....M24

Said's Raid 008.jpg

I read range day and it reminded me of a funny story from a range day long ago when we were doing some fam fire with the M24's and some of the other guys in the platoon. Anyway, we had this one guy get down behind the gun and I give him a quick rundown on the optic, dealing with the wind, etc. We were at 400 meters so it wasn't too far but he rips five rounds off at a pretty good clip and when he's done I asked him what he held for wind. He replied with "Wind? I don't need the wind, it holds for me" or some dumb shit like that. We go down to the pits to get the targets and sure enough this asshat completely missed a B28....not a hole in it anywhere. Back at the line he's acting like he's shot the tightest group out of anyone and then we show him his target. Damn narcissist starts getting pissed because he thinks we swapped his target out so he searches the back of the trucks and we're all just dyin'....he was just a piss poor shot. Turns out a piss poor human too....he welched on us days before we went to AFG faking a back injury but karma got him good enough later on.

Anyway....M24

View attachment 8053069
This brought back a memory for me, similar but different. M-60 familiarization, was a light touch on the trigger and single shooting it and hitting the targets. Needless to say, the Master Sargent was rather displeased with me. That and shooting ground squirrels with the ‘60.

Yes, I know there isn’t a mag in the rifle. It was just a photo op :)

Attachments

• 3476B9E7-83A0-4372-BAC5-062E05DD6F41.jpeg
    3476B9E7-83A0-4372-BAC5-062E05DD6F41.jpeg
    794.2 KB · Views: 66