• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

M4 Build Advice

cpmiller22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2013
Hi all-

So last year I did my first AR build which was based on a custom dpms style AR10 style lower I picked up from a local provider here in CA. I'm very happy with how it turned out, and am looking to build an M4 style setup next. I've been looking around and there are so many different options I thought maybe I could get some help picking a direction.

I have an AR lower that I'm getting from another local provider in the next week or so, and wanted to get some advice on build recommendations. Since I have a nice range rifle, I would like something that is light and tactical.

Here are a few things I've been thinking about so far:
-I'd like a short barrel. I've heard the shortest I can go to be CA legal is 14.5" but I have to have a "pinned" flash hider.
-I also would like a front grip
-I'm thinking I'd like some sort of red dot or rectile vs iron sights or a scope

I'm hoping I can put something together that aligns with the requirement above, is CA legal, and isn't too pricey. Any thoughts, tips, advice, or pics anyone can share to help me get moving would be greatly appreciated!

going 14.5 is only going to net you about 1-1.5 inches of savings since you have to have a 1.5 inch muzzle device. Just keep it straight 16 with a removable muzzle device.

Also provide your location so people can refer you to places locally.

aside from that i think you should just get a plain jane complete flat top upper. Run that for a while then see what you want to switch out.

Ill let other elaborate on on RDS's. For my Money I really like the Israeli stuff but you cant go wrong with Aimpoint, EO-Tech, etc