• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M4 Collapsable Stock - Cheek Piece Comparison

Gideon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
Hartland, CT
I like what I have heard about the cheek piece on the SOPMOD stock giving very good cheek weld. What I don't like is the pointed base at the bottom of the butt pad. I would want a small flat there for putting my off hand in the prone position or for use with a sand bag occasionally.

That leads me to the Magpul ACS or STR. Are the cheek pieces on these two stocks comparable to the SOPMOD?

Is my concern for the pointed base of the SOPMOD unfounded?

Re: M4 Collapsable Stock - Cheek Piece Comparison

I have both (ACS & SOPMOD) and prefer the ACS for the exact same reason you mentioned a concern with. ACS also locks down, so it is tighter on the tube with less play. Yes the cheek weld feel of the ACS is very similar to the SOPMOD and much better than something like a CTR.

i personally think the cheek weld sucks balls on the SOPMOD stock, the battery compartment "wings" stick out too far and force your chin bone to the left, forcing you to cock yer head at a retarded angle

Very interesting, VJJ. I haven't heard that criticism before but I can see your point. Before my final decision, I will be trying out the different options.

definatley get behind one mounted on a gun before you buy one

Im completely with VJJ on this one.. I hate the retarded angles on those things.. as he stated.. kinda "pushes" your chin away and just not comfortable for me..

I've heard there is a problem with iMod and eMod stocks with getting beard hair caught. That has kept me from looking at them.

I just bought a ACS-L for my AR and I love it. IMO its the best stock for a precision AR. Not too much or too little cheekweld slope.

acsl.jpg

005rp.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i personally think the cheek weld sucks balls on the SOPMOD stock, the battery compartment "wings" stick out too far and force your chin bone to the left, forcing you to cock yer head at a retarded angle </div></div>

This right here. I personally think the SAPR is one hell of an improvement and fixes that issue. I also had the same feel on the ACS on my carbine. I really only wanted the ACS for the awesome hook in it for prone...

My son and I went to a couple of gun stores here in CT (where the cost of living is high and liberty is not well understood). The first store had a nice collection of Magpul stocks to check out (PRS,MOE,CTR,STR,ACS,ACS-L,UBR) but no Vltor or SOPMOD (either LMT or B5). Most of the stocks had their boxes sealed with packing tape so they couldn't be opened without cutting the tape; something I didn't want to ask for since I wasn't ready to buy. I could handle the MOE, CTR and ACS but they weren't mounted on a rifle; another thing I didn't want to ask for until I'm ready to purchase. The wider cheek pieces of the CTR and ACS felt good but without them being mounted, that opinion is way too preliminary. I'm interested in checking out the ACS-L as a potentially good intermediate width. I'm particularly interested in being comfortable at different head positions for using iron sights, a red dot and also a scope.

The S.A.P.R. does not suit my desire to keep things simple and the additional 17.5 oz and $200 are not welcome. That doesn't mean it isn't a very clever idea. Execution appears high end also.

The second store didn't sell any collapsable stocks for a pretty good reason; in our state, collapsable stocks must be permanently pinned in place to be legal. (Many liberal politicians must feel very proud of themselves for that bit of irrationale legislation.) For this store, their decision was based on minimizing liability, which I find understandable.

So I will be reserving my selection until I can give a stock a good hands-on try out.

I bought the UBR for all of the reasons stated here. Good cheek weld, no beard pulling and locks solid. The price is the only downside, but, compared to a SOPMOD it's not bad.