• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes M4 night vision

terrygood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Atlantic city NJ
I am looking for a night vision device. One to mount in front of my Acog 4x on my AR 15. Should I go with Gen-4 or thermal. Does anyone on the hide have experience with either systems?

Re: M4 night vision

Gen 4 is marketing hype, and thermal is gonna be spensive....whats your budget and what do you plan on doing with said NV?

Just for shooting competitions. I was not sure if the thermal was worth the money? If not who would you recommend?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for shooting competitions. I was not sure if the thermal was worth the money? If not who would you recommend? </div></div>

I would go with GenIII NV if you only plan on shooting comps.

I have a few Gen3 scopes but I am going to buy a thermal set up in the future as I think it will allow me to pick out animals better at night.

I think buying a used unit may be the way to go, you can steal them most of the time.

And +1 for Vic at TNVC. Great NV forum over at ar15.com too.

PVS-24 is designed to go in front of an ACOG and for the M4 application. As for picking up used Gen 3/ Autogated optics or just Gen 3 being a "steal" I'm not so sure of that, I guess that statement is subjective.

IF YOU CAN AFFORD THE THERMAL, GO FOR IT..I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS NOW THE PRIMARY SITE THE ARMY IS NOW USING FOR BOTH DAY AND NIGHT....

That is not entirely correct. PVS-24 is designed to mount in that configuration among the many others that it's designed for. It's also designed for any optic that will detect a man sized target out to 500 meters. The choice by L3 to use the M4 was both lamentable and inappropriate. Most users use this system for 2.5-10x variable.

Actually a few things for the record on the PVS-24. It's primary design was for the SOPMOD BLK II contract for ACOG's and Specter DR's which was for the M4's. It only has a 56mm objective lens and is NOT designed for much magnification above 6x before it struggles for light and active IR is needed in no moon rural environments. The PVS-22 on the other hand with its 68mm objective and faster optical lens is much more suited (a true clip on sniper sight) for higher magnifications from the 4-10x range with 8x being most optimal in no moon scenarios and rural environments. Hope this helps.

Vic

Thermal may be great for hunting....not so for LE.

We demo'ed a Trijicon ATWS. It was cool and has it's place but it's not a replacement for NV.

If my budget was unlimited I would have a AN/PVS-27. I have been very impressed every time I have gotten behind one. I just can't justify personally eating the cost right now.