• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes M4 optics please offer sugestions from use/exper

Aces&Eights

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Wisconsin
I am looking for a new optic on my m4. I am pretty much bent on variable magnification in a cqb type (1-4x). I am looking at the mark 4 cq/t, the valdada pitbull and a good old battle proven aimpoint with swing out magnifier. Please let me know prs and cons of anybody who has used particularly the valdada or the leupy... I have put rounds downrange with the aimpoint. I am also open to sugesstions. This is on my range/plinking/HD rifle.

Re: M4 optics please offer sugestions from use/exper

I run a Aimpoint CompM4 with swing out mag. Got it all from Larue.

Otherwise, have you considered an acog?
I know it is not variable, but you might find one with bible verses on it, if you are lucky.

I used to be a Supervisor in the Trijicon ACOG Department. Now I'm a Tactical Gear dealer and we carry Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon and Leupold.

We're not big fans of the Leupold Mark 4 CQT. When these first came out, we couldn't keep them on the shelf (we'd sell 5-10 a month). Now we only sell about 1-2 of them a month. This tells me that customers aren't showing their friends and their friends say "WOW, I want one of those".

With the Trijicon ACOG, Aimpoint, EOTech, and Leupold Mark 4 Sniper Scopes (higher power than the CQT), those are very high consistent sellers. That tells us that people are showing their friends, and their friends are picking them up.

----------------------

The way I break down how to shop for optics is to figure out the average engagement range you're going to be using:

0-200 Meters = Aimpoint and EOTech are the best (you can extend it to 0-300 meters with a 3x Magnifier)
50-600 Meters = Trijicon is the best (you can extend it to 0-600 meters with a RMR sight)
200-2000 Meters = Leupold is the best

This is not saying that the optics can't shoot outside of that range, it's just what range they're "best" at. To give you a couple of scenarios:

1. If you're 400 meters from me and you have an Aimpoint, and I have a Trijicon......I am much more likely to hit you than you are to hit me.

2. If you're 25 meters from me and you have an Aimpoint, and I have a Leupold.....you are much more likely to hit me than I could hit you.

----------------------

As far as popularity goes *
#1 Trijicon ACOG
#2 Aimpoint
#3 EOTech
#4 Leupold

* But I would take the range chart into account first. If you're going to be shooting at 0-100 meters 90% of the time, the Aimpoints and EOTechs will work best.

----------------------

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Have a good day!

Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostangel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it is not variable, but you might find one with bible verses on it, if you are lucky. </div></div>

I'm still tied in to the "inside track" at Trijicon. I asked about the Bible Verses when the news media jumped on Trijicon like a bunch of jackals.

The Bible Verses will continue to be put on the Trijicon products, and removed by "special request". If you want the Bible Verse removed you just have to send the product back to Trijicon and they'll remove it.

Many of the Bible Verses are raised letters that are part of the aluminum housing. If you wanted it removed, Trijicon would take it off with a grinder / dremel tool. I think most people will just leave them on there.

I left them on my ACOG. I actually kinda like it.

Matt

If you want a 1-4x variable, why not take a look at an Accupoint?

You probably won't use the 1-4x magnification, as it's usually so little difference and with an assault type weapon, you won't have time. I used both a Trijicon RCO ACOG and an Aimpoint CompM4 and T-1 Micro in Iraq. ACOG if you expect distance to your targets, Aimpoint if you plan on 5-10 feet engagements.

Depends on where you use it and what you use it for. Used an aimpoint in Iraq, and never liked it. Switched to an Eotech, and loved it. Went to Afghanistan, and it was woefully inadequate till I got the 3x multiplier with the FTS. I did have trouble on humid nights with it fogging when I bailed out of a well air conditioned MRAP when I brain farted and left it exposed to the AC instead of keeping it warm between my legs. Most guys there are using Trijicon there tho. But most of my guys liked my set up over their Trijicon.

Aimpoint M3 with 2moa dot in a Larue mount and a Cut Carry Handle for BUIS, this set up is fast and easy.

Just repeating what MILWAR said, find out how far you are going to be shooting then go from there. I personally have a Trijicon RCO on my AR and I love it. But I am also biased because I used that optic in the Marines so I am used to it. It was durable and reliable and doesn't require batteries. If this is a HD/plinking rifle as you say, then I would go with the EOTech. You can always put a 3x multiplier for range if you plan on going farther out. I would take care of the home defense need before worrying about your range need. Just my .02

I had a 4X ACOG with the full line crosshair and didn't like it, ended up selling it. The eye relief was a bit short and mine had amber rather than red so it was a little harder to see on sunny days. I traded it for an Aimpoint + some garand ammo.

If you do go ACOG get the 3-3.5 power model (can't remember model number, think it's TA11) with the chevron reticle in red. You get a nice red triangle followed by several marks for 2, 4, 6, and 800 yards I think, great little reticle and easy to see + use.

Fixed 3.5 I love my ACOG.

1/4 power: Elcan DR. The DR is simply an amazing optic.

77.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The setup I use:</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Trijicon Acog TA01 NSN
Larue Tactical Acog mount</span>

I use the TAO1 NSN as well. Use it on my truck gun, excellent all-around sight for eveything outdoors. I use it for coyotes and other pests, and general "plinking", and find the reticle to be spot on with the ammo it was designed for. For any use indoors(rare as hen's teeth in the civilian world?) I have an Aimpoint on a different rifle. Have also used the A2 irons(with a light) to good effect. YMMV.

went with the aimpoint. thanks for all the good info. bought a 1 off 3x mag for my backyard "pest control" if anyone has a larue swing mount for sale PM me.