• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M4 - quiet(er) without a can . . ?

utnapishtim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I'm in thew process of building an MP5 (semi-SBR on an SW receiver), but I'm questioning the build. I'm considering abandoning it in favor of a 223 SBR instead. In my opinion, the 223 offers a great deal of advantages, such as range, barrier penetration, and general accuracy. I also have a handy supply of AR mags sitting around. The 9mm, on the other hand has cheaper ammo,and isn't so painfully loud.

Suppressors are not legal in my state.

So, does anybody know a way to redirect the blast of a 223 SRB down range, rather than killing my range neighbor's ears? I'm not overly concerned about recoil or blast signature.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: M4 - quiet(er) without a can . . ?

Muzzle break/flash hider. Noveske PIG, Battle Comp Etc.. Nice for you, bad for anyone down range. I'm a battle comp owner and I love mine!

Might check into the penetration, I thought SWAT and entry teams are switching out of MP5 to SBR m4's strictly because of over penetration with the 9mm round.

Not sure but I'd research alittle more if I were deciding on what to build.

But I have heard good things about the flaming pig.

Noveske KX3 and the PWS CQB would redirect the sound/concussion downrange.

+1 on the Noveske flaming pig. However, it's still going to be very, very loud on a SBR. It just won't seem as loud to you, the shooter.

Troy Claymore. Cop buddy of mine has a 7.5" + that brake on his pistol build and it is excellent. I'm toying with the idea of one on a 16" 308 I'm building.

+1 on the KX3. it is loud, but the blast won't be as bad for people shooting along side of you.

i've tossed around the idea of an "MP5" SBR, but it always came down to cost and the limited nature of the HK platform.

you could build 2 AR platform SBR's for the price of 1 MP5.

9mm is cheaper to shoot than 5.56 but you could always build a 9mm upper/rifle.

yeah, an MP5 would be nice to have, but i'd eventually want to change/tweak something. i have a bit of firearms ADD and the AR platform caters to that perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the KX3. it is loud, but the blast won't be as bad for people shooting along side of you.

i've tossed around the idea of an "MP5" SBR, but it always came down to cost and the limited nature of the HK platform.

you could build 2 AR platform SBR's for the price of 1 MP5.

9mm is cheaper to shoot than 5.56 but you could always build a 9mm upper/rifle.

yeah, an MP5 would be nice to have, but i'd eventually want to change/tweak something. i have a bit of firearms ADD and the AR platform caters to that perfectly. </div></div>

Yeah something like this but not FA of course and not suppressed for you
frown.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qc89xwWaqOo&feature=channel_video_title"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qc89xwWaqOo&feature=channel_video_title" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Barrier penetration is NOT the reason to go with a 5.56 SBR over a 9mm sub-gun.

The 8mm has far better internediate barrier performance than the 5.56, although the 5.56 is vastly superior against body armor.

Both platforms have their place.
The problem with the SBR is you will either need to wear hearing protection indoors or use a can. Once you install the can, you have transformed your short, fast handling carbine into a full length rifle (barrel length wise).

The MP5 clone can be run indoors without a can, it is loud but not bad. The problem with the 9mm is overpenetration. Not in soft tissue, but once you hit wallboard the hollowpoint cavity gets plugged up and it acts just like hardball.

Everything is a compromise.

LONG barrels are the best if no suppressor option.