• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Old School (more pics)

xarmor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2008
Austin, Tx
Cleaned her up, gonna see about taking it to the range tomorrow if weather permits.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Specs:</span>

Aug 1966 six digit clip slotted receiver
Aug 1966 Remington .308 barrel
Redfield Accurange with 1-66 rings
M40 stock with MRT-69 sling

IMG_0933-1.jpg

IMG_0940-1.jpg

Re: M40 Old School

That is SWEET! I had to come back and look at it a couple of times.

I have been checking into the M40 and M40A1. There is a lot of history learned just reading about the M40.
I have been thinking on a M40A1 build, Just not sure yet.
I have a lot more reading to do.
Great looking stick though!

XARMOR grwat looking rifle. Is that an orignal anodized green Redfield? Sniper6 I think you should do both. You wont be disappointed. I have the M40 and M40a3 and M40a1 being built right now.

Sniper6
I used a M40A1 in the Corps. and I now have one that was assembled by G.A.P. with slotted receiver, USMC return smear stock, Schnider USMC contract barrel topped with a US optics MST-100 (it's basically identical to the Unertl the Corps used to use) and this gun shoots better then the M40A1 I carried in the Corps.

Xarmor that is one sweet looking 40 Very nice!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">XARMOR grwat looking rifle. Is that an orignal anodized green Redfield? Sniper6 I think you should do both. You wont be disappointed. I have the M40 and M40a3 and M40a1 being built right now. </div></div>

It is an original Green scope. Still in pretty good shape for its age.

What a wonderful rifle. There is just something that is nice, clean, and uncluttered about the original M40’s that really sets them apart. They have everything you need, and nothing that you don’t.

<span style="font-weight: bold">jgn8541</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">USMC Grunt </span>You guys just have to egg it on don’t you ?
I would love to build all 3 and have them all to spec, But Damn, it would take me three to four years to get all of them done.
Sure gets me thinking though!
I spend 10X the money on gun stuff now, than I did before I found the SH.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I spend 10X the money on gun stuff now, than I did before I found the SH.
grin.gif
</div></div>

This stuff sure is addicting. All 3 of mine are build to spec. The M40 is from Remington when they did that run a few years ago. Just changed the round safety that came on it for the flat one. Put on a black Redfield with correct rings. The M40a3 is from TBA. I have added a few things to the gun to make is spec from 1999. I should have that back in the next week or so. When I do Ill send you some pics.

I am with Ray. Man that is one sweet looking piece. I for some reason always get wood with an M40. At my age not Hickory, just balsa.

Anyhoo, I have to get busy with mine but sadly it isn't going to be this athentic for financial reasons. Have a stock that will work and a '66 action, scope base and rings with a '70 sling. Will kinda be the red headed cousin of this and will only look like a real M40 through Stevie Wonders eyes
smile.gif

Here's a few more pics. Weather is crappy so I won't be taking this one out today.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel left side</span>
IMG_0964-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel RS</span>
IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0959-1.jpg

IMG_0952-1.jpg

For all of us novices, where do we go to procure a "suitable" M40 wood stock...?

The stock on this rifle is an original. Accurate innovations stocks some that are pretty close. I think Numrich arms also carries the Walnut LTR stocks that are pretty close also.

Accurate innovations

X is the scope an original green scope or is it a rework, thanks for the extra pictures too.
Nice stock too. I had an original a few years ago that I found on ebay the plan was to use it pn my M40 build until I found out from Duane at Strider needed it as the final part of his build.

The scope is an original green anodized Redfield but it is not the scope that was on the rifle when I bought it. It had a 2nd gen satin black Redfield on it along with the 2nd gen mount. The mount that was originally on the rifle is serialized to the weapon. I will get some pics up later.

Dammed Jim: Were you put onto the earth to drive us nuts? At last count, between Terry and mine; seven M40A’s, more Surgeons than the Mayo Clinic, not to speak of enough M1’s & 03’s to field a small South American revolution and then this!
Hay, Beautiful job you did there! Outstanding! Gutowsky

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gutowsky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dammed Jim: Were you put onto the earth to drive us nuts? At last count, between Terry and mine; seven M40A’s, more Surgeons than the Mayo Clinic, not to speak of enough M1’s & 03’s to field a small South American revolution and then this!
Hay, Beautiful job you did there! Outstanding! Gutowsky
</div></div>

ya just never know..... Good to be prepared. I wish I could take credit for building this one, I just changed the scope from 2nd to 1st gen. Redfield. Not sure SOUTH America is where the revolution will be!
laugh.gif

beautiful gun, god i wish i could afford one of those, if i were to build a hunting rifle that would be it. the simple look of those m40s is sweet.

You know see this rifle on this post inspired me to have one built from TBA while I'm deployed. Being an Army Sniper I find these rifles to be a peice of history as one of the first tactical sniper rifles to start from the ground up as one and not a converted service rifle. I know its origins are from the popular hunting rifle but it's just fascinating to see where these weapons started and how they have progressed up to today's modern versions.

Re: M40 Old School (more pics)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_0933-1.jpg

IMG_0940-1.jpg
</div></div>
what is the contour/measurements on that barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a few more pics. Weather is crappy so I won't be taking this one out today.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel left side</span>
IMG_0964-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel RS</span>
IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0959-1.jpg

IMG_0952-1.jpg
</div></div>

Is this a Hart barrel from the guys in upstate NY? Thanks.

Ranger1183, 24 inch Rem var contour, 830 at the muzzle, 1 in 10 twist, flat crown.

cwood3, Mike Kokolus has an original M40 stock and makes very reasonable priced copies that are just excellent.

Jim as always your rifle sets the standard that all the rest of us want to achieve in our M40 builds.

Heres a link to the build guide we had going a while ago
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...016#Post1919016

PLease sell me that rifle!!

Awesome looking old school!

I'll bet back in the late 70's early 80's it wasn't uncommon to find authentic parts for this at gunshows. Before my time.

great looking rifle. I've always wondered how the eye relief is with the scope mounted forward like that. however, it doesn't look "right" if you mount it any further back ...