• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes M40 Original scope question

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
I know the original scope issued with the M40 was a Redfield 3-9 power Accu-range scope with the "Tombstone" range estimator. My question is this: Was it a "Wide-field" scope or standard "Round" scope? I've seen pictures of so-called "Exact" replicas... Some are wide and some aren't. Which is correct? Or are both correct?

Re: M40 Original scope question

Only the round ones are correct. Anodized green for 1st generation, Satin black (not gloss) for 2nd generation. Here are some pics. Notice the pretty distinct color differences at the objective, ocular and turret sections. All of the original second gen scopes that I have seen were in the "Y" serial number range, I have no confirmation as to this being fact though. The Green scopes will have a Redfield 1" tube and the Black ones will say Redfield 3x9. No widefields were officially used.

IMG_0252.jpg
green_scope_001-1.jpg

Wow! Great pics! That's what I thought. Did they ever use any other power scopes?Redfield made an Accu-range in 6x-18x too.

Not officially. I have heard stories of PX scopes being used but no official records of anything other than the 3x9 accutrac. Most Green scopes met an untimely end in Vietnam and not very many remain. The accu-range came along later and is a little different than it accutrac brother.

Accu-trac? I've seen those pretty cheap on Ebay but the Accu-range seem to be the ones commanding the higher price and having the M40 reference.

THE USMC never used the Accu-Trac series of Redfield scopes on their contract M40 sniper rifles. They only used the 3-9x Accu-Range model with the "Traditional" round lenses. They were not the "Widefield" models which weren't introduced until 1971. AFAIK, Redfield didn't introduce the Accu-Trac feature until 1978.

The Accu-Trac models had a BDC elevation turret in addition to the "tombstone' range finder. The idea on the Accu-Trac was to bracket the target with the horizontal crosswire stadia using the tombstone scale to indicate the range, then dial the indicated range with the BDC elevation turret. The Accu-Range scopes were equipped with Redfields standard hunting style turrets with no BDC feature. The Accu-Range and Accu-Trac models are often confused and some folks use these names interchangably, but the Corps only used the Accu-Range scopes as standard issue with the M40 rifle.

I'm quite sure that some Accu-Trac scopes were employed at some time by by Marines, but these scopes would more than likely have been private purchases from either the PX or from sporting goods stores.

Does anyone have detailed instructions with reticle pictures for these scopes. They were a little before my time and I have never actually handled one. The closest I have been to one was Chuck Mawhinney's rifle in the Museam at Quantico.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have detailed instructions with reticle pictures for these scopes. They were a little before my time and I have never actually handled one. The closest I have been to one was Chuck Mawhinney's rifle in the Museam at Quantico.</div></div>

I don't have any photos of the Accu-Range reticle, but I think that I can accurately describe it. I have a 2nd gen. 3-9x Accurange on my self-made M40 replica.

This scope uses the standard Redfield fine crosshair reticle, with an additional pair of fine horizontal stadia wires set in the top third of the reticle. There is a transparent "tombstone" range scale set in the lower right quarter of the reticle with range figures that go from 200 yds at the bottom up to 600yds at the top.

The idea is to bracket your target with the upper horizontal stadia, turning the power ring until the target is bracketed from shoulder to belt (approx. 18 inches). The number that appears at the bottom of the scale on the tombstone indicates your range. That allows you to determine the correct holdover if you know the ballistics of your round.

HTH
smile.gif

I have a 2nd gen accu-range on my tikka that I picked up for $90 at a gun show 9months ago.
I am looking for the correct base and ring combo to make a m40 clone. Anyone have a idea where i can find these and what to look for.
Thanks
Mac

My bad, you are right on the accurange, I always get that terminoligy wrong. Here is a scope picture of what the reticle looks like (sorry my camera sucks). I second the opinion on being careful on Ebay or anywhere else these are being sold, everything becomes a sniper scope. The finish is the best way to tell, then maybe the SN. Some humper was stamping US on every turret cap and was selling them from the "estate of a retired Marine armorer." The accurange scopes are not that great and had alot of issues (especially the Green ones)with the tape melting away and heavy fogging in the Jungle. The black ones were used until the Unertl came onto the scene. In the pictures below you can see the horizontal stadia line and the range tombstone.

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Re: M40 Original scope mount 2nd gen

Here is what the second gen scope mounts look like, the rings are 1st gen and are stamped on the bottom either 1/64 or 1/66 sometimes. The rings are normally a dull blue, someone hit these with some paint at sometime in their life. The 1st gen mounts were squared off on the corners.

Copy3of100_1736.jpg

BDC instructions I will find the book and post the rectile instructions when I find the book

ip2x53.jpg

I recently picked up one of the Widefields to put on an early smear return stock build. Got pretty lucky on the correct "from the bottom" rings thanks to a fellow member, pro bono!! Gotta love this place! I'm pretty impressed with the FOV that the Widefield provides! The glass on this 'ol scope is pretty darn bright too! Can't wait to screw her all together!

Nice Rifle, if you ever want to part with that base......

I was not aware that they were stamped 40X on the bottom. All of the bases that I have seen (which is not much) were blued, never knew they parkerized them also. Appreciate all the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for the correct base and ring combo to make a m40 clone. Anyone have a idea where i can find these and what to look for.</div></div>

I think I ended up with and extra base and ring set, as well as one of the tall safeties when I did my build.

Cody