• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Remington repro question

Rainier42

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
New Hope, PA
Recently I purchased a Remington M40 repro from a member here. Is quite the beautiful rifle and an happy to add it to my collection. Question I have is how many of you out there went a head and had your stock pillar/glass bedded. If I were to do this, would I be destroying the value of the rifle since it is no longer original?

Re: M40 Remington repro question

Yes its a repro, but considering the M40 repro was a limited run collectible in itself, I would not mess with the original stock . Find one of the Remington walnut varmint stocks and bed that one. There is a guy on GB selling repo stocks for a $155. Just go to gunbroker and search Remington M40.

You can find the buttplates on the the bay for $10 every now and then. The part number is 16601 but others will fit with a little filing.

If you bought it as an "investment", I would just stick it in your safe for 30-40 years, however, I think you would have recieved a higher return from a money market account. If you bought it to shoot, then go ahead and bed the action and enjoy shooting it. It's your rifle, you should do what ever gives you the most value for your dollar.

For what its worth...no pun intended, if I were buying it from you, it would be worth more money to me if it had a quality bedding job done to it and shot better. I wish Remington would do another run. It is a very beautiful rifle. I have often thought about building an M40 clone as it's considerably cheaper to do than building an M40A1. Whether you choose to bed the action of your rifle or leave it as is, I am sure it will hold its value as it will be worth more to either the "collectors" or the "shooters". It's a very nice rifle.

I may have a line on one that is NIB and unfired where I live. I will keep you informed of what I find out.