• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 replica questions

Jobediah

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2019
Oklahoma
Hey guys, need to get some knowledge on a replica rifle I've been sitting on for a few years. My friend had three of these rifle projects started and I was given one. The optics were refurbished by Ironsight I believe but don't know who actually put the rifles together.
We're all M40's short action? My friend believes these to be correct sa receivers but I think it's a long action. The ejection port is just over three inches long and the receiver mounting screws are about 7 1/4 inch from center to center.
Could use some info here. I'll put some pics below.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_20191216_193651.jpg
    IMG_20191216_193651.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20191216_193736.jpg
    IMG_20191216_193736.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 96
The M40's were SA. The Winchester's M70's used just prior/concurrently were 30/06.

You can call Remington customer service and tell them the serial number and they will tell you exactly what that rifle started life as.

Those stocks don't appear to be Monte Carlo design either. There's not much that resembles a M40X there except rings and stock finish. The green optic is wrong as well....the greenies never had the BDC drum on top either if I recall correctly.
Of note is also that Winchester never made short actions until 1985. And then, only in push feed. In 2001, they started the CRPF series which in the WSM series was slightly longer than a short action. The WSSM series used a slightly shorter action than the short action. The only short action "claw" is the FN PBR. FN owns Winchester, but the design is a Winchester controlled round feed short action (or CRPF).

The stock is the civilian version of a monte carlo. It is definitely not the M40 version of the 700 stock.

I'll throw up two pics of a real and reproduction M40 for comparison's sake:

Here's the remaining original M40 at PWS shop (Quantico, VA) for display purposes (it has the post-1968 Redfield "Gen II" satin black scope):

1576596104941.png

Here's the most accurate clone I have seen, with an original "Gen 1" Redfield greenie scope and painted M40 take-off stock, (I wish it were mine...but its not):

rlm8541_vintage_M40_stocks.jpg

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, pretty much thought it was just a pile of parts after I started investigating. It was given to me about ten years ago and I thought I might finish it. After doing some digging around the web I was pretty sure it was incorrect. Thanks for the help!