• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 scope rings - reproduction

iceng

Non-Privates
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2017
South Aus
20230623_130225_293y04369x.jpeg
20230623_130230_t8jjuQsP3D.jpeg

Just about to finish this. Going off for finishing next week. I got a hold of a set and fully digitized it and made some. As exacting and correct as I could do.

They do not require small tac-welds to hold them together. They will also withstand unlimited amounts of shooting 308win / 7.62 under normal bolt action conditions.

In Australia. Yes, i have authorisation (DoD export permit) to send to USA.

Last edited:
I dont have many. This was to help a mate out fix hit junk tier ones from "someone else". Wanted me to make a high quality set. This is what i came up with. I tried to make them as exacting as original as I could. They will be finished in a week.

I scrapped one in prototype, and will forcefully destroy another to ensure it is the best quality I can make.
20230508_113904.jpg

Yes. I can do them for just under $550 usd delivered anywhere. Expensive yes, but i went for quality. Also i will only have 5.

Yes. I can do them for just under $550 usd delivered anywhere. Expensive yes, but i went for quality. Also i will only have 5.
You're not going to make any more than 5? Will they be finished or in the raw?

Out of curiosity, what are you basing the specs on? Do you have an original USMC Unertl mount on hand to measure? Are you taking measurements from the mount that shall not be named (we all know what that piece of garbage is, lol)? Or is there anything else you're using to get the specs or a combination of these?

Mounting on a tube for alignment is what's always been done, I actually have the tube that Dan Ross used to alignment the rings on his mounts (which aren't to Unertl spec). Quick, easy and accurate way to line things up. The original Unertl mounts had the rings brazed in place or whatever it would be called. On the underside of every USMC Unertl mount you can see the coloration from the heat when they brazed them.

Since you're doing a box with your mounts, it would be pretty cool to replicate the one that the mounts originally came in. Check out these photos, I can send you a close-up of the box's artwork if you're interested in trying to incorporate it into your boxed set. The Unertl boxes don't have any padding in them, the mounts were just wrapped in tissue paper. But it's probably better to add padding in you box as planned, tissue paper isn't very good at protecting things, lol. The screws and an Allen key were also provided in a small plastic bag. And that's pretty much it for the original USMC Unertl mount packages, not much to it.

DSC04817.jpg

Dsc04822b.jpg

Also, for everyone who's patiently waiting for a good reproduction Unertl mount to hit the market...... good things come to those who wait.

Out of curiosity, what are you basing the specs on? Do you have an original USMC Unertl mount on hand to measure? Are you taking measurements from the mount that shall not be named (we all know what that piece of garbage is, lol)? Or is there anything else you're using to get the specs or a combination of these?

Mounting on a tube for alignment is what's always been done, I actually have the tube that Dan Ross used to alignment the rings on his mounts (which aren't to Unertl spec). Quick, easy and accurate way to line things up. The original Unertl mounts had the rings brazed in place or whatever it would be called. On the underside of every USMC Unertl mount you can see the coloration from the heat when they brazed them.

Since you're doing a box with your mounts, it would be pretty cool to replicate the one that the mounts originally came in. Check out these photos, I can send you a close-up of the box's artwork if you're interested in trying to incorporate it into your boxed set. The Unertl boxes don't have any padding in them, the mounts were just wrapped in tissue paper. But it's probably better to add padding in you box as planned, tissue paper isn't very good at protecting things, lol. The screws and an Allen key were also provided in a small plastic bag. And that's pretty much it for the original USMC Unertl mount pack

Since you're doing a box with your mounts, it would be pretty cool to replicate the one that the mounts originally came in. Check out these photos, I can send you a close-up of the box's artwork if you're interested in trying to incorporate it into your boxed set. The Unertl boxes don't have any padding in them, the mounts were just wrapped in tissue paper. But it's probably better to add padding in you box as planned, tissue paper isn't very good at protecting things, lol. The screws and an Allen key were also provided in a small plastic bag. And that's pretty much it for the original USMC Unertl mount packages, not much to it.

View attachment 8175596
View attachment 8175597

Also, for everyone who's patiently waiting for a good reproduction Unertl mount to hit the market...... good things come to those who wait.

ages, not much to it.

View attachment 8175596
View attachment 8175597

Also, for everyone who's patiently waiting for a good reproduction Unertl mount to hit the market...... good things come to those who
Ive seen the mounts and compared them with the "Voldemort" kind and another variation I have
They are rock solid and probably the only thing that'll keep the dream alive!

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
Ive had both mounts to measure and compare. Ive tightened a few things up and put a few tweaks in (chamfer, radius clean up, etc). Nothing really "modified" from original, just cleaned up.

If i had 10 units, id get a very good idea on dimensions and tolerances. However i had to make do with a real and a fake. Guess which one i relied on.

Ive hooked up with a local company who does black oxide, and have given them info on the project and they are on board.

The single biggest issue i have currently is finding screws to screw into the receiver. I have custom made T15 torx, heat treated black oxide screws which are aussie made (not chyna junk). They are not pan head screws like original which im not custom making as i have to order 2000 at a time.

That is the only visual thing ive found so far.
This kit should have the correct screws, or similar.

The scope cap screws are correct (thread and style).

Should be ready shortly.

@USMCSGT0331 can you please get me box dimensions and some pics ? I wanna see where it seals / opens. A mate is a laser cutter and he can custom cut foam to suit, and if i can find a similar box, i will do that and get it printed to be as close as possible.

Australian DoD export permit is required for EVERYTHING.. think "US state dept export tax". Thats all it is.

You make clothing and wanna export it ? Yep, need a permit. You could print instructions on how to make a bomb on that shirt, and dept of defense wants to know about what underwear you have.

This is spectacular! I hope more become available. I need 8!
8 ? Farken. With interest from others and the weirdo left hander, ill look into making more. It may be simpler for me to make 10+ sets after this batch, and bulk send to a single person in USA, for postage costs / export paperwork. Could drop the cost a bit. Would need a known person to handle in US.

BUT let me finish these and let people see them and get me feed back.

8 ? Farken. With interest from others and the weirdo left hander, ill look into making more. It may be simpler for me to make 10+ sets after this batch, and bulk send to a single person in USA, for postage costs / export paperwork. Could drop the cost a bit. Would need a known person to handle in US.

BUT let me finish these and let people see them and get me feed back.
I have a bit of a problem. I would be happy to help if desired.

Where in aus are you?

South Aus. I know a few FFLs in US ive delt with previously, however if everyone agrees on a US "middle man", it may help. Anyone whos is getting one, etc. Hopefully boxes done this week with custom foam inserts. Then awaiting return from black oxide.. then post.

Just a heads-up for guys here in the US, repro Unertl mounts are going to be available soon. A certain company will be making a post about it this week......
Glad to hear that. I bet they will be quality if you are getting them made.