• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 ?

Re: M40 ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shawn b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anybody know the serial# range for the M40? Would it be the same years as the 6 digit M40A1s? </div></div>

Short answer is yes, same numbers as the M40A1 rifles had since most of the M40 rifles in USMC inventory at the time were reconfigured as M40A1.

Re: M40 ?

Thanks for the link! I have a copy of "One Round War: USMC Scout-Snipers in Vietnam" I found almost all the information one could want
about the Vietnam era M40 in this book, I think it is a must have if you are doing a vintage build on one. There is a serial number reference list as well as the diagram for the 40X type of clipslot found in the IBA book "Death From Afar Vol 1", but that is just about all that book is worth IMO. I am doing an M40A1 on an early seven digit action. Although mine is out of the official running numbers found in the IBA list it is still a 1970 date, and apparently the last of the M40 contract rifles were delivered in 1971 according to the Senich book.
Apparently the majority of production was between 1966 and 1967, with most after '67 being either replacements or used as developmental rifles.