• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1 BARRELS

SSG_TATE

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2009
FORT BRAGG, N.C.
I HAVE (4) M40A1/M40 BARRELS. ONLY ONE OF THESE BARRELS ARE MARKED 7.62 NATO. THE OTHER 3 ARE NOT MARKED WITH A CALIBER. ALL ARE PARKERIZED AND THE MUZZEL END HAS NO TARGET CROWN. THEY ARE STAMPED ON ONE SIDE WITH A HEART, AND REP. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER INFORMATION THAT THEY MIGHT BE ABLE TO SHARE ABOUT THESE? I.E. ABOUT WHAT YEAR THEY WERE PRODUCED? M40? OR M40A1? ANY INSIGHT IS APPRECIATED.

SSG TATE

Re: M40A1 BARRELS

THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT! HARD TO TELL MUCH ABOUT BARRELS. ACCORDING TO MY FATHER, MY GRANDFATHER AQUIRED THEM FROM QUANTICO. THATS ALL I KNOW. THEY SHOW NO WEAR, AND ARE IN GOOD CONDITION. LANDS AND GROVES LOOK GOOD AND BARRELS ARE BRIGHT.

WHY ARE YOU YELLING???

caps_lock.jpg

The contours should be different. I believe the contour on the M40 Barrel is more of a "Varmint" contour and the M40A1 is Straight taper... Correct?

There are a lot of possibilities. The REP on the side means they are factory Remington barrels. They could either be take off barrels for M40A1/A3 or whatever builds, or they could be M40 barrels. I don't know for sure if they did use a factory bbl for the M40 or not. For sure the M40A1 is a straight taper, and would look obviously different than any varmint or tactical factory barrel.

Dave

Sounds like factory Remington barrels according to the markings, could be M40 take offs as those were Remington barrels when the rifles were built. Should be the standard "varmint" contour, they should also be date stamped with two letters that will determine when they were produced-the date stamp decoder is available online at several different websites. Remington supplied the bulk of M40 production prior to 1968, with a few handfulls more until about 1971. I don't think they offered a 700 Varmint in .308 until 1975.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG TATE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I HAVE (4) M40A1/M40 BARRELS. ONLY ONE OF THESE BARRELS ARE MARKED 7.62 NATO. THE OTHER 3 ARE NOT MARKED WITH A CALIBER. ALL ARE PARKERIZED AND THE MUZZEL END HAS NO TARGET CROWN. THEY ARE STAMPED ON ONE SIDE WITH A HEART, AND REP.</div></div>

The three of yours sound just like my M40 "take off" barrel. It also only has the date code and "+1" on the left and the right side has the "hart" shaped gallery mark, "REM" and a "T" in in a triangle turned on it's side. No other factory marks.

Sounds like you have some good barrels. I have an interest in them if you plan to sell them.

Dave P