• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos M40A1 Build Almost Complete...

stretmd

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2008
Orange Beach, Alabama
www.obfd.org
After what seems like an eternity, the second part of my collection is almost complete. This is how is began...

Almost six yers ago I began doing research on this weapon after watching the movie "Sniper" with Tom Berenger. I became almost fanatical trying to find out everything I could about this rifle, the men who used it and the purpose they served. After several years of inquiries and realizing what the cost and almost unobtainable status of it was I lost hope. I found a set of Redfield Jr. 1" , four screw scope rings and base on ebay and thought this was a good place to start my build. Shortly after that I found a Redfield 3x9 Accurange Wideview for what I considered a steal and purchased it. In 2008 I found a Commemorative Edition USMC M40 on Gunbroker.com and as I watched the auction progress, I also kept my eye on the "buy it now" price. I contacted the seller, a gentleman in AK who took it on trade for some work done, and he advised me that there was in fact another whom he had been in contact with that was also pretty serious about winning the auction. I watched as the time ticked down, not wanting to get into a bidding war and pushing the price over the "buy it now" price and totally out of my reach. I left for a dinner meeting with laptop inhand hoping my wireless service didn't crap out watching the time fade. The bids got close to the "buy it now" price and it came time to put up or shut up and with one deep breath I bought that rifle and the first step was over. After contacting the seller he advised me the other gentleman had contacted him after the end of the auction and was quite unhappy that he had lost the auction. I said "if he was that serious he should have used the "Buy it Now" and been done with it". The rifle came the optics were mounted and all I could do was look at it and think I have a piece of history. I posted pictures of it here and got many compliments. I was proud, as proud as I was the day I swore in to the United States Army, as proud as I was the first time I saved a life as a Paramedic. Meanwhile, a friend who I had asked to be on the lookout for any and all parts of a M40A1 called and told me he had found some return bottom metal, a sling, a stock(although it wasn't a return stock, it was a stock none the less with a correct butt pad) and we were in business. Months passed and a six digit donor rifle was found to be used for the action, and the rifle was sent off for a barrel and assembly. The bills were paid and after finding another set of Redfield Jr. 1" four screw scope rings and a base, all that is left is the opticts. I have recently found a Redfield Accurange Oval scope and am now trying to figure out how to rob Peter to pay Paul to finish my project.

The almost finished product as you see it is:

A Remington 7.62 NATO/.308 Win. caliber rifle with a six digit serial numbered action manufactured in the early 1970's with matching bolt.

The trigger guard/floorplate are serial numbered 1558 from a return to McM.

The trigger pull was adjusted to 3lbs.

The barrel is a Rock 5r Chrome Moly, 24" finished lengh, USMC M40A1 contour and crown, rifling is 1:10".

The stock is a McMillian General Purpose Hunting/M40A1 Woodland camouflage, sniper fill with Pachmayer red 1/4" butt pad and Witchita sling swivels.

The finish is Parkarized, gray phosphate.

The scope base is a Redfield Jr. Remington 700 SA matte black finish and the scope rings are Redfield Jr. 1" low, four screw with 64 markings.

Much Thanks to the members of this site for the valuable information you have and the willingness to share it with those who share your passion.

The pride I have in owning these weapons only takes back seat to the pride I have in the men and women right now this very minute that have given their all and continue to give their all so that we can live in a Country where one may own such pieces of history.

"Greater love hath no man for another than this, that a man lay down his life for another"

Re: M40A1 Build Almost Complete...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firefox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice set up i have been looking for a leather sling for mine where do you get one. </div></div>
The best way to get one most like USMC issue on pre-M40A3 rifles is to look on GB or EB for an "MRT" leather sling. A Turner Biothane (synthetic) or Les Tam are the same style and will serve you much better than an MRT, but they cost about double.