• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M40A1 refinish

terrygood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Atlantic city NJ
Can anyone recomend someone to have my barreld action refinished? The barrel is SS and the lug and action are steel. I think that the marks are too bad for me to fix. I think it is black oxide, what ever the USMC used to there rifles? I live in NJ.
Terry

Re: M40A1 refinish

Terry: I've found a product that might be worth a try. http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm#stainless

It is a cold blacking agent (like cold blue for carbon steel) But is for stainless steel. Hell, worth a try, so, I have a trial kit coming. Will bring over to your house and we can see if it works. Maybe try to blacken one of the followers first.

If not, then ship the barreled action to GAP or TBA might be your best option. Gutowsky

Park/black oxide and then Krylon? Isn't that what USMC did? Sure it comes off of the barrel, but if you want the "real" deal, go for it. If not I think that Ceracote or Duracote covers pretty well.
Not really sure what you want, fix for pits? Issues other than that?
Answer with more questions...Sorry.
Chad

+1 on the Cerakote. I was a little worried about what my A1 was going to look like when it came home but I am more than pleased with it