• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1 Simrad issue

tfont48

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2009
Baton Rouge
I recently picked up a KN203FAB to go on my old A1 build, they don’t quite line up. The Simrad doesn’t quite get low enough to mount on. Curious if anybody has dealt with this? Are there any options to make this work? It looks like the objective won’t line up in the center of the Simrad eye piece even if I built a spacer for the ring-to-Simrad gap, so I’m curious how this used to work. Any help is appreciated. Attached are the photos, it’s hard to tell but there’s about a 1/4 gap between the ring and mount.

Attachments

• 5D173CCF-0319-4B73-A635-ED82CB2CD15B.jpeg
    5D173CCF-0319-4B73-A635-ED82CB2CD15B.jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 2A4117E3-E204-4856-B620-866F63EF6BBD.jpeg
    2A4117E3-E204-4856-B620-866F63EF6BBD.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 239
  • C58FDA15-CFC4-45C6-A7B7-DCB134F27565.jpeg
    C58FDA15-CFC4-45C6-A7B7-DCB134F27565.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 252
I recently picked up a KN203FAB to go on my old A1 build, they don’t quite line up. The Simrad doesn’t quite get low enough to mount on. Curious if anybody has dealt with this? Are there any options to make this work? It looks like the objective won’t line up in the center of the Simrad eye piece even if I built a spacer for the ring-to-Simrad gap, so I’m curious how this used to work. Any help is appreciated. Attached are the photos, it’s hard to tell but there’s about a 1/4 gap between the ring and mount.
I'm sorry I can't help you with your problem brother, but I had to reply. That rifle is absolutely awesome!
DW

Reactions: camocorvette

One question for you, are you using a twomanattack mount and simrad cap?

If so, there's your problem.

One question for you, are you using a twomanattack mount and simrad cap?

If so, there's your problem.
I honestly can’t say, I did buy it from a guy who was reproducing them about 8years ago. The same sounds familiar, but I don’t have anything in my records for who or where I bought it from, so I won’t confirm it was him. But in thought it might be the rings I’m currently exploring options to get more.

The original Simrad used with a M40a1 was a KN200. Addressed in the past on M40 rifle, might want to review past posts there..

I completely forgot about the different models, you're absolutely correct. The Corps used the KN200's and KN250's, not the KN203's. That could be one portion of the issues, the other would be the TMA mount with simrad. I've heard from multiple friends who have had issues trying to fit the repro simrad cap to the repro mount, and fitting the night vision to the repro simrad cap.

It's easy to see if you have a TMA mount, just take a small piece of magnetic metal, like a steel staple or very small paperclip, and see if it sticks to the side of the ring lowers or on the underside of the mount where the rings connect. He put magnets in all of his mounts, that's why they have the huge, nasty welds on them holding the ring lowers to the base. He did this so that he could tell if a mount was original or not. I have no idea if he stopped doing this, but I've personally seen at least half a dozen examples of a staple sticking to the side of a TMA mount and I have video of a friend testing it.

Use a small piece of steel and do this test, post somw pics of it works.

Not my photos, this is someone else who had issues with a TMA mount:

image_8579-1-jpg.7865997

image_8582-1-jpg.7865998

Reactions: deltawiskey
He put magnets in all of his mounts, that's why they have the huge, nasty welds on them holding the ring lowers to the base. He did this so that he could tell if a mount was original or not. I have no idea if he stopped doing this, but I've personally seen at least half a dozen examples of a staple sticking to the side of a TMA mount and I have video of a friend testing it.

I just got mine from him this past spring. I'll give this a try and report back. Always heard he did something but never knew what.

My kn203 , I just have the Badger Ring set and SIMRAD cap . All lines up perfect . a 40mm and 42mm Obj. slide right inside the pvs9 ocular ring.

I recently picked up a KN203FAB to go on my old A1 build, they don’t quite line up. The Simrad doesn’t quite get low enough to mount on

I don’t have experience with either unit or have the technical literature handy, but I would be curious to know what the “optical center line” is for both the KN200 and KN203. (Presumably measured from top of SIMRAD cap to center of the lens of the KN200/203 optics). The M40A1 w/ Unetl has a 1” (25.4mm) tube - but the M24 with Leupold M3A has a 30mm main tube. Might be a slight difference in ring height too. If one poster is correct that M40A1s used the KN200, while the M24s used the KN203, I would be curious if their was a small difference between optical center lines with SIMRAD mount.

I only mention this as specific ring height used with a daytime scope when used with ‘clip-on’ NV devices is pretty critical to get alignment via the optical center line of the both day scope vs. the night vision scope. A small amount of variance is okay, but proper alignment gives best optical performance - at least that is what I was told.

Last edited: