• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1 stock locator list

eodcam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Panama City
I heard their used to be a list of take off stock serial numbers. Where folks could match up stocks and bottom metals. Is there such a list? Looking for stock 1476

Way back in the day... Ok maybe 5 years ago. Was pretty good in matching/ trading parts to make sets complete providing u could still get ahold of people. Jeff

Right on. I'm looking for 221476. My buddy carried it in 1993. The interesting part is the Unertl that was on it when he was issued it, will be up for auction soon on the CMP. Now here's the Crazy part, a while back he bought a green Redfield for a M700/M40 build. When the Unertls came up for auction he found his Armory card that had his Rifle, scope, M49 and Tripod serial numbers on it. That's how he remembered the Unertls SN. Well he decided to look at the Green Redfield and the Scope was marked 221476. It was the Original scope from 1966 that was on the Rifle when it was a M700/M40. Holy Crap Right? so If he gets the Unertl from the CMP he would have both scopes that were on Rifle 221476. The chances of getting both scopes off a rifle you were issued and carried in combat, are so damn slim, yet it happened. I figure it is totally possible to find the stock when it was an A1 and the Redfield base when it was a M700. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
I'm sure he'll chime in when he gets a chance!

I have an old screen shot of that list. 1476 is not on it. The SN# jumps from 1475-1479. The list is from 07.

If we wanted to update the list or start it again, I've got #1281 - smear pattern.

Might be much more difficult now. when the stocks were returned to Mcmillan and the serial numbers were sharpied in the barrel channel, people would have a spec rifle built and rub that number out and change it to the new actions last 4. Besides that, the numbers on the floor plate and trigger guard were easily polished out and changed to the new actions serial number. I have owned one or 2 of these builds in the past. So if you find the stock with that number, be certain that is the same stock.