• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 stock question.

rkgsmith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2005
maryland
I just stumbled on to what I believe to be a McMillan M40a1 stock. Not I repeat "not" an origional USMC stock, just one I believe is a McMillan. It is colored correctly, base of dark green, with light green and brown patches. The color is molded in. It is inletted for what looks like a 700 short action. The barrel channel is very wide, almost 1/2 dollar sized. It has never been fitted to an action, and there are no holes drilled for a butt pad. But I can't find any markings anywhere. Does Mcmillan mark there stocks? May try to post some pics tomorrow. Any help appreciated.

Re: M40a1 stock question.

no....there are even blanks out there that some gunplumbers buy along with code to inlet to suit......post a picture !

OK trying some pics of the stock. It is very heavy, feels dense if that makes sense. Barrel channel is looks like it would fit a bull bar
IMG_0818.jpg
rel.
IMG_0817.jpg
IMG_0816.jpg
IMG_0815.jpg
IMG_0819.jpg

rkgsmith,

Looks exactly like a McMillan M40-A1 HTG in Woodland camo. Not a smear style stock. But that is a Model 70 trigger guard. Nice find, looks virgin.

Bob

I am not entirely sure but I think that is what you would get if you ordered a semi inlet stock from McMillan, the inletting is not completely cut for the recoil lug or the action screws. The stock is likely a "sniper fill" which would account for the weight. The camo is not woodland but what McMillan calls forest, the USMC correct color is forest camo. McMillan has a woodland, but it is different in that it has black among the colors.

rkgsmith,

That is a recently made McMillan M40/HTG stock with what looks like the correct M40a1 inlet, complete with the correct M40a1/Winchester bottom metal inlet and the barrel channel looks correct for a #7 profile tube. Also, I can tell by the pic that it has the correct sniper fill. You should be good to go with a clone build with that stock. All it needs is a 1/2" brown butt pad and 2 Witchita sling swivels mounted on it.

Take a magnet to where the sling studs would go and see if it attracts. McMillan installs steel in those locations to secure the Witchita swivels as they are drilled & tapped when mounted. If the magnet is attracted to the stock, it means it was probably originally built for a M40a1 spec build. You can send it back to McMillan to install the pad & Witchitas with a quick turn-around and they'll make it look nice too.

Wilshire1412,

The pics don't show it well but the guard screw holes should be completely through and the lug should be the correct depth. The pic is at a weird angle and just looks odd.

Couldn't of said it better myself KonaBully.

Doh! That is what happens when I am too poor to pay attention to detail. I can of course see the holes clearly, I must have been tired last night.

Not really up to speed on building a M40A1. Are they built with a Remington or Winchester action? Not sure what I'm going to do with the stock right now. I have a LR 308 new in the box waiting for some attention, but don't have the time or a patient wife right now. I would really like to have a something with a classic look that shoots well. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, found that link right after my post. After reading that with 2 cups of coffee, and a shot of brandy I've decided I could not do a build like that. To get it right would take more time, money and energy than I could devote to it, not to mention lacking a patient wife. I hate to do something half way / half ass, which would in my eyes do a diservice to what a stock like that represents.I may just sit on the stock for a while and look for an action to mate it with to just make a shooter with a quality stock. Wont' build a clone, just a good shooting rifle. Thanks for the info.

I had one for a while and when I came to the realization that I'd never do a full spec build. While I liked the history of the stock the ergonomics did nothing for me and what I wanted outta my rifle, so a little horse trading and I got everything I wanted in a presision rifle stock and one of the best full spec builders there is got a full matching base to make another masterpiece on.

If you like the style of stock, I'd bet someone that wants to do a full spec build could get you into an HTG or similar stock.