• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

M40A1(thru-?) triggers

SQ54

Former Chemtrail Spreader
Minuteman
  • Jul 24, 2021
    Texas
    What do they have? I assume the M40 and M40A1 had Remington Walker triggers. Are there any others? Also, I own a G prefix rifle that has a Walker trigger so I presume the Marine Corps received those actions that way as well. Were there any changes? Trying not to “presume” so much.

M40 had tombstone safety walker with x rivets
    M40a1 had walkers
    A3-a6 have m24 triggers which is a type of walker.

Reactions: SQ54
    M40 had tombstone safety walker with x rivets
    M40a1 had walkers
    A3-a6 have m24 triggers which is a type of walker.
    Now you have my curiosity going. If you can explain, what is the difference between the M24 and the standard Walker?

Now you have my curiosity going. If you can explain, what is the difference between the M24 and the standard Walker?

Here's a pic of all 3.

Early walker was just an early walker with 2 piece sear and 1 piece sear. Found on the 6 digit m40s and m40a1s. Later E prefix m40a1s had a standard walker.

The M24 trigger used in the A3 to A6 I circled the difference. It was a second weight adjustment screw adjustable through the trigger shoe. When in the stock the only way to tell its a walker or m24 is looking at the shoe to see the adjustment screw. They have gone for $300+ when you can find them.

I have all 3 and performance wise a plane old walker has the best break and weight. That said the m24s are tuned and typically have been put on a trigger pull guage and have a printout (not all) to meet certain specs. I have 1 great walker but the m24 beats the others, I'd bet most will.

Slapping a $45 walker in there will do just fine until you find an m24 if you want to be true to spec and your build calls for it. If you want a little nicer feel in your walker Wolff makes trigger springs that will give it a nicer feel.

Attachments

• WalkerTrigger-4.jpg
      WalkerTrigger-4.jpg
      27.8 KB · Views: 118
    • M24-trigger-1.jpg
      M24-trigger-1.jpg
      354.6 KB · Views: 162
    • image_980.jpg
      image_980.jpg
      163.9 KB · Views: 76
    The M24 is adjustable, with a set screw in the trigger itself. Also, I had to replace a broken safety lever on a M24 and it had a different size detent ball than the Wlaker parts I had. Not sure if that was just my particular M24 trigger or if all M24's are a bit different.

Here's a pic of all 3.

Early walker was just an early walker with 2 piece sear and 1 piece sear. Found on the 6 digit m40s and m40a1s. Later E prefix m40a1s had a standard walker.

The M24 trigger used in the A3 to A6 I circled the difference. It was a second weight adjustment screw adjustable through the trigger shoe. When in the stock the only way to tell its a walker or m24 is looking at the shoe to see the adjustment screw. They have gone for $300+ when you can find them.

I have all 3 and performance wise a plane old walker has the best break and weight. That said the m24s are tuned and typically have been put on a trigger pull guage and have a printout (not all) to meet certain specs. I have 1 great walker but the m24 beats the others, I'd bet most will.

Slapping a $45 walker in there will do just fine until you find an m24 if you want to be true to spec and your build calls for it. If you want a little nicer feel in your walker Wolff makes trigger springs that will give it a nicer feel.
    Well, I’m not building a clone but I was wondering if any actions had been delivered with the X-mark trigger. I found this: https://rifleshooter.com/2015/02/m24-trigger/ which has some pretty good pics of the M24 trigger. It looks similar to the X-mark in some ways (I have one in my hand). I usually replace the X-mark with a Timney Calvin Elite or Elite Hunter and the X-mark goes in the recycle bin. [eta: Because you can’t give them away.]

I just got this .30-06 Serengeti back from the smith that assembled it and I changed out the X-mark to a Calvin Elite set to 1.5 lbs.
    95045F39-E549-4B09-B78A-336E7CEF2293.jpeg

Here is the X-mark Pro that came off the action.
    C41D9AF2-291B-43F7-AA0F-A8B7B692A344.jpeg

Last edited:
    The M24 is adjustable, with a set screw in the trigger itself. Also, I had to replace a broken safety lever on a M24 and it had a different size detent ball than the Wlaker parts I had. Not sure if that was just my particular M24 trigger or if all M24's are a bit different.
    I wonder if any of the X-mark Pro parts would be interchangeable?

Well, I’m not building a clone but I was wondering if any actions had been delivered with the X-mark trigger.

Got ya. Yea if it's not a clone there is about a dozen other triggers I'd get before an m24.

No x marks used in the m40 series. I've never used the new one like you pictured but after rem stopped using the walkers I've never felt a factory trigger I liked from them.

Reactions: SQ54
    Got ya. Yea if it's not a clone there is about a dozen other triggers I'd get before an m24.

No x marks used in the m40 series. I've never used the new one like you pictured but after rem stopped using the walkers I've never felt a factory trigger I liked from them.
    The non-adjustable version of the X-mark isn’t a bad trigger. At least it doesn’t have that adjustment screw gouging my finger. Not sure if it could be refined by a competent gunsmith.