• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1 Unertl/MST-100 10x Parallax Question

BullGator1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2017
NC
I recently aquired my unicorn M40A1 from @gregv and understand there is a lot of nuance to using the Unert/MST-100 10X scopes. Being that I don't have readily available access to ranges over 300 yards, I do most of my shooting at 100-300. I know the suggested parallax setting is either 200 or 300 yards, and I know that if set to 300 the site picture at 100 is blurry as hell (which it currently is), but my question is: If I set the parallax for say 100 or 150 (I have a Redfield Revolution Tac 3x9 on my SSA M40 that is fixed parallax at 150y and is clear at all ranges) will the site picture be blurry at further distances? 300 yards and beyond? I have not had the opportunity to go to the range to try adjusting the parallax yet, so thanks for any help in advance.

Follow up question,
Does anyone know the correct Butler Creek caps that fit this scope?
Thank you,
BG

Attachments

• 0E630596-CF08-4882-A25C-2DF5182766C0.jpeg
    0E630596-CF08-4882-A25C-2DF5182766C0.jpeg
    625.4 KB · Views: 378
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: camocorvette
USO used to sell Butler Creek caps with the MST-100, so call their sales number and see if they still carry them, or will tell you the sizes…..

Reactions: BullGator1
I recently aquired my unicorn M40A1 from @gregv and understand there is a lot of nuance to using the Unert/MST-100 10X scopes. Being that I don't have readily available access to ranges over 300 yards, I do most of my shooting at 100-300. I know the suggested parallax setting is either 200 or 300 yards, and I know that if set to 300 the site picture at 100 is blurry as hell (which it currently is), but my question is: If I set the parallax for say 100 or 150 (I have a Redfield Revolution Tac 3x9 on my SSA M40 that is fixed parallax at 150y and is clear at all ranges) will the site picture be blurry at further distances? 300 yards and beyond? I have not had the opportunity to go to the range to try adjusting the parallax yet, so thanks for any help in advance.

Follow up question,
Does anyone know the correct Butler Creek caps that fit this scope?
Thank you,
BG

You shouldn’t have to compromise on the parallax setting. I set the parallax on mine at about 300 yards and it is in focus from 100 and 1000 yards. I run 2 MOA steel plates from 100 to 800 yards with no focus or parallax adjustment, just elevation adjustments and windage holds.

If yours is that blurry at 100 yards then I suspect that the parallax is set way off or the eyepiece focus is not set right for you.

I also recommend setting the parallax before you go to the range. All you need is an open view and some known distances. I picked out signs at 300, 600, and 1000 yards.

You shouldn’t have to compromise on the parallax setting. I set the parallax on mine at about 300 yards and it is in focus from 100 and 1000 yards. I run 2 MOA steel plates from 100 to 800 yards with no focus or parallax adjustment, just elevation adjustments and windage holds.

If yours is that blurry at 100 yards then I suspect that the parallax is set way off or the eyepiece focus is not set right for you.

I also recommend setting the parallax before you go to the range. All you need is an open view and some known distances. I picked out signs at 300, 600, and 1000 yards.
I appreciate that vote of confidence. Going to give it a go this weekend.

Reactions: ODCMP
One thing to remember when trying to adjust the parallax is that the adjustment ring only pushes the lens assembly rearward. To move the lens assembly forward, you have to pull it forward using the locking ring. If you go to far past the parallax sweet spot, then you need to pull it forward and try again.

The post (#31) in this link describes it well:

One thing to remember when trying to adjust the parallax is that the adjustment ring only pushes the lens assembly rearward. To move the lens assembly forward, you have to pull it forward using the locking ring. If you go to far past the parallax sweet spot, then you need to pull it forward and try again.

The post (#31) in this link describes it well:

Thank you for the info.