• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1 vs. M40A3

Pre-Marine

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
Southern New Jersey
So im going to do my first rifle build which will actually be my first rifle of my own and cannot decide whether to build an M40A3 clone or an M40A1 clone. So I just want to know you what you guys think. Also if you want to suggest I Build a different rifle suggest away. I have not handled either in person so I want you guys to answer some questions for me if you can which would be a huge help. So which do you like better the M40A1 or M40A3? or rather their stocks. Also if you could please post why you like them... Look, Feel, Ergonomics, Weight, Etc. And could someone also explain to me why the M40A1 was changed out for the M40A3 model. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Re: M40A1 vs. M40A3

Both are great rifles to shoot, i like em both.If i were you start with the m40a1 then build the a3 later,trust me youll build both eventually.

I would go with the A3 as well. As to why they went with the A3 over the A1, it's called progress.

Different.

Prefer an A1 stock. Weight and ergononomics when getting off your belly are better than with the A4 in sniper fill. I prefer shorter, not longer barrels so a 20-22" pipe with either a one piece steel HFP or a quality DBM would be in the plans. Fatten up the bolt handle and make the scope a variable. If you feel good so far, drop the dough on a good suppressor and you're pretty much done. Nothing special, been done before but works and works pretty darn well.

The A1 is a good rifle, so is the A3. Is the A3 better? Depends on what you're basing it on. Same for "Which is better, the M16A1 or M16A2". Depends on who you ask. The A2 has some things going for it, so does the A1. IMO, member Hogtooths' M40A5 that he had here on the Hide was pretty much spot on... don't care for the MARS and would add a suppressor but those are personal details. Lighter than the A1 or A3, higher rate of fire, easier to deploy in tight quarters and maneuver in urban areas. Just a better idea that the A3 match rifle.

IMHO, it really depends on what you want to do with it/them, comps, nostalgia, etc. and if they are going to be as accurate as possible, (fixed 10 power A1 vs. variable scope A3). I have an A3 and I have my parts for the A1 but it has not been built yet. If I could have one, and it is gonig to be true to spec, the A4 will serve you well. The A1 is damn nice though. S/F Jeff

Ill tell you in a few months. I currently carry an m40a3, but I am having a GAP built to spec m40a1 done, it should be done when I get home from deployment. I like the m40a3. The stock is heavy as shit, but I have beat it up pretty good and its sturdy. I think an a5 stock would probably be better.

I prefer the M40A1. Partly because that's what I was issued and partly because it's a better "all around" rifle.

If you are going to sit at a bench and shoot. The A3 is probably better suited. The Optics are definitely a step up. If you are going to shoot from positions and off of whatever is handy then the A1 may be a better choice.

If you wan't to built a "spec" A1 your chances are diminishing. USO is doing their last run of MST-100's. After that you can bet the prices will do nothing but rise on used ones.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been looking at the M40A1 and A4 Tactical Stocks but just to drop a Remington 700 .25-06 into it for hunting so I may go with either an M40A1 stock or an A5 stock. I'm not sure. what would be more versatile that could go from comfortable laying prone in with maybe a bidpod to then firing from the shoulder and being comfortable there also if i need to?
Thanks again guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pre-Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what would be more versatile that could go from comfortable laying prone in with maybe a bidpod to then firing from the shoulder and being comfortable there also if i need to?</div></div>

The A1 (McMillan HTG).

Keep in mind that the comb is low on this stock and you will need to build up a cheek piece or use a stock pack.

The A1 can be had with an intagrated adjustable
cheek rest or one can be installed by a smith.
for an affordable price.