• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes M40A1s with other than Unertl/USO?

pre64marksman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Feel free to tell me to jump in a lake with thread as it may be a stupid thing to ask,
But other than the earlier use of the Redfield accurange on the initial M40A1s, have there been any use of scopes other than the Unertl "Marine Sniper" and USO MST100? Any other USOs like the SN3, or any leupy Mk4 types used on an M40A1 in service?
I've seen pics from a sniper training where a Marine used a McMillan day/night scope, and I've heard that the SN3 was tested for use on the M40A3, but I was wanting to know if any of you Marine snipers ever used yourself or encountered a fellow Marine shooter using something other than the Unertl 10X/MST100 on the M40A1?
If that would be sacrilage I apologize before hand.

Re: M40A1s with other than Unertl/USO?

Back in the late 1970's I had a conversation with Jim Leatherwood. He told me he had sent several of his ART II scopes for testing by the Marines. Even had the same range est. recital system as the Redfields (I think they were called the ARTII+). I can only guess, they weren’t impressed. Don’t know if any of these made it into the field

In the pre Unertl 10x days there were some rifles outfitted with Weaver T10 scopes, a Target 10x that had an adjustable
objective. I have no idea if these were on just a few rifles used for evaluation or not, but the T10 is a different animal than the Redfield Accurange and likely more useful in precision work.

I have one with a T10 on and it tracks and shoots very well. I have been a hundred percent happy with its glass and performance.

Supposedly the T10 (and the MOA1) were a "post Vietnam combination created for the 2nd Force Recon. Unit"

Thanks guys for the info, I remember reading about the T10 scopes as a limited thing but I wasn't sure if it was true or not. Sounds like a great combo though!

So no one's heard of more current scopes used on M40A1s, Leupold or other USO(sn3 or other), Night Force or other brands? Understandably, the Unertl and MST both are really really good optics so it would be hard to see anything else as all that much better than the issue optic! And Most modern tactical optics being 30mm main tube dia would require a mount able to handle the larger scope as the Unertl mount was for 1" tubes.

I'm not aware of Unertl making an M40A1 type mount with 30mm rings but I could be un-informed

I don't recall ever seeing an M40A1 in service with any other optic than the Unertl 10x. I may have seen an MST-100, but not known any difference at the time. Most of our rifles were spray-bombed so it would be easy to overlook USO instead of Unertl on the side.

Thanks LoneWolfUSMC!
Would a USMC sniper get in trouble if they switched out an optic? Or would the optic change occur only at an armorer's bench?

Replacing the optic on your rifle other than an immediate life/death situation would more than likely result in Office Hours and the loss of rank and pay.

You shoot what you are issued.