• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

M40A3 build

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    The Mk13 Mod 0 and M45a1 threads got me very interested in these systems, MARSOC equipment, and genuine combat used items that have been pulled out of service and made available to the civilian market. I purchased a genuine MST-100 and decided to build an M40A3 around it. I also found a used M24 system trigger. I used a McMillan A5 stock, Badger Ordnance rings, bottom metal, clip slotted Picatinny mount, and NV mount. I decided to match the worn paint on the scope to a worn paint job on the rifle. The gun is built on a Remington 700 Police. I milled a clip slot in the receiver for the optic mount, opened up the holes to 8-40, inlet the stock for the NV mount, and matched the paint. It was interesting, and a little concerning, to find a fairly large void in the fiberglass stock (shown in pic below) when I milled the area to receive the NV mount. Has anyone else seen this is McMillan stocks? Finished pics tomorrow. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/MLZzUt3m.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/zKmhaYsm.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/mBxoLxcm.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/135JzzMm.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/PcjdL4dm.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/IfoXfIcm.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
    That is some awesome work there Buffalo!

According to the M24 article that lowlight published, the M24 trigger system is stock. It's adjustable UP from the factory setting. They're supposed to be no lower than 2lbs pull and no more than 4lb. But, according to the author of the article, they were usually set at 4-5lb. Quite heavy for a precision rifle, I thought.

In any case, one of the things I found I liked most about the progression of the M40 series was the inclusion of an external magazine. Granted, you would not typically find oneself needing volume of fire in a precision weapon system. But, in those times you do, it's nice to have a reload seconds away vs. how long it takes you to stuff individual rounds in the magazine. The advent of ten rounders helped in that regard, but typically military, how many times does a good idea make it all the way down to the troops. I understand they were approved, but how many guys get to see them.

FWIW, I've seen "lightening holes/gaps" that were intended to be in the stock in the area you show the void. But, that plain and simple looks like an air bubble that didn't get rolled out on layup.

Again, nice work.

[FONT=georgia, serif]I am not an expert but I can tell you that the M24 trigger and the 40x trigger are not the same, I have both. I cannot get the 40x triggers below 4 lbs without taking them apart and changing springs, polishing, etc. I have the M24 trigger set at two pounds...that's how it came from DRMO. The M24 may have started out as a 40x, but it has been improved. In fact, they are visually different. The M24 trigger pull is adjustable by a set screw in the top of the trigger itself. It can be adjusted without removing the action from the stock. I was under the assumption that the M24 is a modified 40x. I also have a Remington 700 Police which is supposed to have the 40x trigger in it. That trigger, and a 40x trigger I bought from Numrich are identical. The M24 is different.[/FONT]

Here is the finished M40a3 with a Unertl Mst-100 scope and M24 trigger. Also shown are a M24 trigger compared to a 40X trigger showing the external trigger pull adjustment on the M24. Finally is a pic of the Mk13 Mod 0 and the M40a3.
    WSDmaCnl.jpg

Py46BYTl.jpg

zLHGWoil.jpg

Y1EzpCGl.jpg

iHbxAfWl.jpg

tQICk86l.jpg

xeJujP7l.jpg

HfHn3yCl.jpg

Awesome work! I love the paint scheme too! The A3/A4 is my favorite of the M40 series of rifles.

Awesome BW! Really dig the Mk 13, tho I cant imagine its easy on the shoulder.. definitely let us know how the M40 shoots. M40 contour Schneider barrel?

Btw, Im sure you already know this, but in OP you said you thought the M24 was a modded 40x? The 40x, AFAIK, was/is ONLY short action. Even the .300 WM's and such that they do are short actions.M24 = long action. Like I said imagine ya already know that(being Mr Know-it-all and what not ;) ) but figured Id throw it out there.. thanks for sharing sir!

My M40A3 is a straight up Remington 700 police that came with a 40 x trigger and heavy barrel. It is quite a bit thinner than the Schneider contour. The 40x trigger works fine on long actions...I had a 40x on my MK13 but took it off because to get it under 4 lbs would have been too much work. I just slapped a Timney trigger on it and set it to 3 lbs.
    A0sW1fSl.jpg

It's an "ACTION FIGURE", Dammit! As far as the original MST, money played a far greater role than luck.
    1.jpg

Well!...those action figures still hurt my feet at least a hundred times!;)

Just out of curiosity, did you test it in the 300 yd. range yet? Through the years what was your general opinion of the M40 series and M24 series for accuracy? I know I was impressed with what I saw back then, but, after getting out and pushing the limits, I wasn't so convinced they were as accurate as portrayed at long distance.

Added: keeping in mind the M24 wasn't adopted until three years after I got out.
    Save

M24 and M40 were after my time. We had the M21 and the PSG-1... and the FPK for deniability.

M24 and M40 were after my time. We had the M21 and the PSG-1... and the FPK for deniability.

M40 wasn't after your time. M40A3 was, though.
    In fact, since you were '80-'96, the M24 was in your time too, as it came out in '88. It just depended on whether a unit wanted to adopt it. You guys may not have seen the need as you explained above.

I have to ask, your "action figure"...did he write a book or something?

I have to ask, your "action figure"...did he write a book or something?

LMAO. I have to admit, I have read a shit load of first hand account books encompassing 2001 - present. Some great ( "The Only Thing Worth Dying For", "Masters of Chaos
    "was good, several about Operation aniconda, "Shock Factor") but some were trash unreadable.

Last edited:
    Part of what bugs me about "authorship" is the military picks and chooses what they let get out. Oftentimes based on recruiting needs. The other thing is the blanket "non-disclosure clause". It ought to be like when I got out. I had a top secret clearance (due to my.being in S-3....think fly on the wall, not mover/shaker/important person), and I was debriefed on what I could and could not talk about. Some of these ex-operators are flippin' 'cause someone wrote about stuff the whole Army does. Others are clearly stepping way past the line. And, it gets published?? The other thing was, in the past, those who wrote books got paid their royalties. Now, those who even write a memoir ...aren't supposed to accept royalties...what a crock!! Enough rant.

I have a friend who was in the Marines as a sniper. He started on the A1 and transitioned to the A3. His thoughts were the A3 was a better rifle on the range. But, for moving through dense foliage he liked the A1 better. They were about to transition to the A5 when he got out. He said it was just heavier.