• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A3 Clip Slot Specs

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
7mmRM is working to aquire these for me but, if anyone has a drawing and or the specs for the M40A3 Clip Slot Cut Out I would appreciate it if you would share them with me. I'm trying to help/finish up a rifle for a fellow Hide Member and thats the only metal work left prior to refinishing. Thanks agin.

Also, I did try the search function. I spent the last 30 minutes looking through numerous post, no luck.

Re: M40A3 Clip Slot Specs

Hello there,

I can honestly tell you that I got no help here with the specs, because apparently they don't exist. DD Ross doesn't even use a jig - USMC has one @ PWS Quantico to do this - this is what I was told.

My smith just did a little measuring and some really good set up prior to doing any cutting.

My M40A3 turned out beautiful - it's in the pictures section. He cut the 8-40 screw holes first, as they're in the same spot as the 6-40's. My mount is almost a press fit according to him - he got it that close! He just took the dimensions right off of the mount and crossed them over to the 700 action.

I guess it's a trade secret, because no one was willing to tell me how it is exactly done. If you have any questions, maybe I could hook you up with my smith. Let me know if you need his help.

All the best, Carl

Me 3 please...
laugh.gif

I am interested in how the clip slot is done. Thanks Doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: polter71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested in how the clip slot is done. Thanks Doug </div></div>

In a mill with a carbide cutter. A CNC mill would be the cats ass.

Thanks to all that posted. I just cleaned up the existing cuts in the ejection port and called it good. This seems to be the main sore spot for Jose. I posted a pic in the original thread.

Just send it to Jim Cloward- he seems to know how to clip slot for rifles that are used with clips...

Now I gotta ask, how cool is it to have a replica of a clip slotted USMC?!

But how many of you have ever used a clip slot on a bolt action?
laugh.gif

And how are you going to get that clip in with the scope on the rifle?

I had it on my Win mod 70 for highpower, damn neat to have...But too expensive to put on just for looks, IMHO..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But how many of you have ever used a clip slot on a bolt action?
laugh.gif
And how are you going to get that clip in with the scope on the rifle?</div></div>

Thats what I'm saying.

Cool Factor....................................
grin.gif

I have quite a bit. Used to shoot Highpower with a model 70 308 with a........ stripper clip slot. Those were the days............ Iron sights only.

Thats not the M40A3 slot. Thats the M40A1 slot.
Don't copy that for the A3.
It looks more like a square of about 1 cm cut out of the rear of the receiver.
Chad

Guys, I only posted the image above to save 7mmRM from emailing it to everyone. It's the M40 clip slot not the A3 but, it does say that
wink.gif

Not sure where I got this from but it's how mine looks after DD Ross finished with it
A1-clip-slot.gif

He did an outstanding job on mine and the rail fits in perfectly with 25MOA of tilt. When I mounted by NF scope it was right in the center of the Windage available.

RJ

Thanks Will,I will most likely just get you to do the work (if you're not too backed up by the time all my stuff gets here).I really wanted the specs to satisfy my curiosity,that job is definitely beyond my limited skill.

Now go to Midway or ....can't th ink of the Highpower shooters site and get some CLIPS!!

I had a bag of 5 round cilps laying around somewhere, not sure if I kept em or not..

Guys,
The ones posted are not the M40A3 clip slot. These are for the M40A1. Make sure you are not bringing these to your smiths.
Just want to make sure all are on the same page (and hope this still is).
Chad

None of those are even close to an M40A3

The M40A3 is not clip sloted anyway its only notched out front and rear for the base, the bridge is flattened and the back of the loading port is sloped.

Here you go.

100% USMC Spec

347043532.jpg

347043526.jpg

OK , maybe I completely missed somthing here but unless your building a spec M40A3 what is the advantage of doing this?
I understand that the DD Ross base fits into the cutouts I suppose for added strength but is their any other benifit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK , maybe I completely missed somthing here but unless your building a spec M40A3 what is the advantage of doing this?
I understand that the DD Ross base fits into the cutouts I suppose for added strength but is their any other benifit? </div></div>

I don't think there is any other advantage.. The lugs absorb the recoil and take the shear load off the screws leaving the screws to only keep the base tight where the screws most strength is.. the right side scallop makes it easier to get you thumb in there... I think that's about it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK , maybe I completely missed somthing here but unless your building a spec M40A3 what is the advantage of doing this?
I understand that the DD Ross base fits into the cutouts I suppose for added strength but is their any other benifit? </div></div>

No advantage at all unless you are building an exact replica.

Strength??? the scope would Break before the mount. its not nessesary

... or you want to stripper feed your high-power rifle, you'll need the M40A1 style for that of course..

RJ

Hi Folks

I have a DD Ross lugged optic base and going to modify my remmy700 to accept it. Do anyone have drawing like above but for M40A3? Because I surf on the net just find clip slot for M40 or M40A1 only. Hope anyone can help on that...Thanks in advance!!

Louis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Louis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Folks

I have a DD Ross lugged optic base and going to modify my remmy700 to accept it. Do anyone have drawing like above but for M40A3? Because I surf on the net just find clip slot for M40 or M40A1 only. Hope anyone can help on that...Thanks in advance!!

Louis</div></div>
Give GAP a call theyll take care of you.

I was under the impression that Dan no longer sold his Mil-spec version. He had a civilian version when I had him build my rifle and it had 5 screws with the 5th to load the base, but no clipslotting on mine.

100_2848.jpg

100_2840.jpg

Yall want a clip slot? Ive only seen one clip slot worth doing.GA Precision does excellent work.Heres a pic i stole from here awhile back.GAP work.

347043532.jpg

I think that it would be great if someone who knew how to do the clipslots, whether the a1 or a3, video taped it and put it on here. Im sure Im not the only one that wants to see how its done. What is the device that PWS uses to do the clipslot?

Reactions: aku

I would be surprised if the PWS didn't use a CNC mill and a jig to position the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that it would be great if someone who knew how to do the clipslots, whether the a1 or a3, video taped it and put it on here. Im sure Im not the only one that wants to see how its done. What is the device that PWS uses to do the clipslot? </div></div>

That's kinda like asking a World CHampion BBQ guy his rub reciepe....sort of why they are valued as gunsmiths....not everyone can do it and that gives them the advantage. Skill has gotten them the knowladge handed to them and I don't belive they will just give that knowladge to everybody...might be wrong but I wouldn't.

They are cut on a 4 axis CNC. Thats also how the USMC does it they bought a Haas machining center in 2004 just prior to moving to their new building.

Why does the USMC still do this if their is no real added strength , Like George said the scope will break before you shear the screws off of a properly fitted base.

Seems to me that you could buy a shit load of devcon for what they paid for that Haas

So clip slotted helps zero, none, notta? I thought it was for strength... like say it gets dropped or banged around or something. I was going to get my clip slotted but it if doesn't do anything then nevermind...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LukeUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So clip slotted helps zero, none, notta? I thought it was for strength... like say it gets dropped or banged around or something. I was going to get my clip slotted but it if doesn't do anything then nevermind... </div></div>
The slotting (clipslotting in an M40A1 and another type of slotting in an M40A3) allows the receiver to hold the scope mount securely during recoil. The reaction of the scope and mount to the recoil motion is transmitted directly to the receiver - it's the ultimate recoil lug. The mount screws take much less of the reaction forces and simply hold the mount vertically to the receiver. As a result, the mount screws are much less likely to come loose and cause an accuracy problem. I use Badger rails with a recoil lug, but the screws occasionally still come loose, even with red Loctite. I've never had a slot-mounted rail or mount come loose.

So for the record and cause pictures make it so much more understandable here is a M40A3 clipslot:
347043532.jpg

And here is a M40A1 clipslot:

100_0756.jpg

Now It would just be nice if we had actual blueprints (I know the A1 print is up top but the A3 isn't and it being an A3 thread...)
P.s. just want to aknowledge these aren't my photos but a collection of yalls photos lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWHII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called a week or two ago...they sub out the M40A3 lug slotting it is not done in house and is $225 plus $40 for 8-40 screws holes per Ken at GAP </div></div>

Ken is Smoking Crack Again. Its $225 and Includes the 8-40 Screws.

Somebody has to have the specs for A3 clip slotting...nothing that common is a secret.

Anybody have pics of an actual M40 A3 to compare the work?

Ok now im confused on something here. I thought the square type clipslotting was m40a1 and the other type clipslotting was m40, which one is what. What type clipslotting is for the m40a3?

The A3-A5 is like the picture above with the square type cut at the rear of the ejection port. The A1 looks similar but has a slot cut on each side of the rear cut out at the rear of the port, that is also used for speed loading with striper clips when the scope is removed from the rifle. And there is a print out there somewhere that gives dimensions for cutting both versions of the slot, BUT the drawings are missing some very important dimensions and will lead you to some serious heartburn if you've never done one before.

I keep hearing that the drawing for the A3 lug slotting exists...

I am starting to doubt that it exists in electronic format.

Yeah, that print is hard to find. You would think it would be in E format someplace.