• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A3 vs chassis?

higginsworksforme

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
Kentucky
I'm pricing out a Zeus/Proof/McMillan w/arca combination for PRS but when all is said and done I think it's the same price as the AI AT-X. Am I really going to miss out on anything besides faster adjustability by going with the McMillan?

Oh the AI chassis folds so I guess that's something.

Having several McM A4 stocks as well as an AT-X, I'll say that the ergonomics and lower centerline of the AT-X forend is going to make a pretty sizeable difference in getting you a flatter recoil impulse. Not only will you be able to observe your impacts and misses better, but you'll be back on target faster.

That being said, when it comes to just fitting my firing hand naturally the McMillan A4 seems like it was made for me. That's why I still have several. It just isn't as good an option for PRS as many stocks and most chassis.

I think a more apples to apples comparison is the McMillan A4 vs AICS that you will find on the AT.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Does the overall height of the gun become a factor when sticking it through holes in a barricade or something? It seems like the AT-X might have an advantage there/

The lower/closer the center of bore is to the center of gravity, the more of a straight back push you'll get. Conversely, the higher the barrel is over that center the more that muzzle is going to want to rock upwards during recoil.

If you shoot pistols think of it like Glock vs SIG.

Less noticeable during prone shooting, much more noticeable shooting while standing.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Yeah that makes sense. Somewhere in an AT-X thread someone has a pic of the AI next to an MDT chassis and the action sits at least 1/2" lower in the AI.