• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A5 Advice?

Zion4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
New York
Hi all, I've been reading these forums for a bit now and I finally decided to make an account to join in on the banter and fun. I guess I'll make this an introductory post as well seeking advice. I've shot with my father ever since I was a kid and we've done a bit of hunting. My 'baby' is currently a Tikka T3 chambered in a 7mm RemMag, which I often shoot at 200 yrds (thats the furthest distance available at the only range in my local area). I love that gun and its great, but my dad got an AI AW.338 about a year and a half back and now I'm looking to get into the long-range precision shooting as well. I have always highly revered the US Armed Forces (as should any American) and I have somehow decided that I want a USMC spec M40A5. Like I said before, I've read some posts on SH beforehand and have learned that when buying an M40A5, the one and only way to go is GAP. Everything else however, I am still unsure of. I want to go with the exact-replica Schmidt and Bender PMII 3-12x 50mm LP, but I don't know if its really worth the hole it will put in my wallet.

I thank he who takes the time to read my entire banter and would really like any advice pertaining to the M40A5 (whether it be about the gun, optic, accessories, etc-all is welcome and very much appreciated).

Re: M40A5 Advice?

Hello, I am a Marine and have shot the M40A3 and M40A5 (which uses a A4 McMillian Stock)...all I can say is that it is a wonderful setup, you will need to have an armorer mount the barrel to the McMillian stock, then get a kit for the mag clip. McMillian currently takes 2-3 months to get you the stock the A4 that the M40A5 uses.

I personally wanted to do the same thing until I researched the AICS stock which allows for a Remington short action to be bolted to it by ME very easily without having to wait and pay an armorer. I bought a Rem 700 SPS Tac 20" .308 and I love the setup to death. It is accurate and looks amazing IMHO...

Good luck you cannot go wrong with either setup...

You know that you can bolt on the McMillan A4 stock as well. There is nothing that an armorer needs to do to it, provided you have a barreled action.

Doesn't sound to me like tge OP us asking if we think an M40A5 is a good way to go - sounds like he's really only asking about optics.

You'll love the M40.

If you're bent on an exact replica - well, get the 3-12. It's a great scope. But, if it were me, I'd get a 4-16 or 5-25 Bender. If you're wondering if Benders are worth it - they are. Plus, they hold their value nicely.

I have both the pmII 3-12 and the 5-25 . they are serious quality but you definitely pay for them.If your heart is set on having it true to spec then buy the s&b. if money is a problem and or your not really going to be stretching that guns legs then there are plenty of quality mil/mil scopes for alot less.It really comes down to what you really need/want.the s&b wont dissapoint though.
keep an eye in the 'optics for sale' section, you might be lucky enough to pick up a used s&b .The 'rifle scopes' section also has a wealth of info/reviews on other scope options

Thanks all for your advice. I think I am going to go with the 3-12x 50mm despite its price because I will definitely regret not spending the extra couple hundred of bucks to buy a superior optic later in life (I will love and shoot this gun until the day I die).

marine0351, my father has an AI AW and I think its a great stock but I'm gonna stick with the tried and true (and accurate-replicate) A4. Also, I would like to personally thank you for your service. The USMC as well as the US Armed Forces as a whole are some of the most honorable and brave men and women on this planet and I revere each and every one of them.

Spaceman, I am in the same boat. I think buying the S&B3-12 is the way to go as apposed to "settling" for a scope that doesn't fit the A5. There is a S&B 3-12 MTC CCW for sale in the scope section now but it has the P4F reticle rather than the mildot. It is a good deal but it isn't "exact" spec. There is an exact spec USMC 8541 marked one for sale also but is out of my price range. It would be cool though. Hope this helps.

Another outstanding stock out there for a Remington 700 or almost any action is the XLR industries stock.

There is a company that did an outstanding review on their stocks.
here it is.

http://shooterreviews.com/xlr-industries-evolution-precision-rifle-chasis-system/

I have built one .308 of my own and several for some friends, if you want any advice feel free to PM and I will help out in any way I can.