• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A5 Build

Appalachian Shadow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2012
USA
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some input as far as building a M40A5 rifle. I know the platform is based on the Remington 700, but as far as the gunsmithing, what do you think can be done by a beginner and what do you think needs to be done by a professional? Appreciate the input in advance.

Re: M40A5 Build

Perhaps you would be able to assemble the parts, but unless you know how to true and action, chamber a barrel, and bed an action, there isn't much you can do.

Big Joe pretty much said it. Other gunsmiths could build you this rifle too.

Plus the GAP is deadly accurate, if you have the money and don't feel any sentiment toward building vs buying, go with it.

if you're a beginner/short on funds/sentimental then you're probably not going to want to dive into such a project from the start. Great thing about the 700 platform is you can add to it over time, so if you get one or two things done at a time you'll be able to spread the cost out over a while whilst shooting it in the meantime.

Wow a bit harsh with the bipod comment
smile.gif
These guys are telling the truth though. A custom bolt action off of a remington action requires very little assembly besides what a qualified gunsmith (like gap or SAC) would do it. I mean there are two screws holding the stock to the action, one screw holding bipod to stock, four screws holding base to action, and most likely 8 screws holding rings to scope. Almost forgot two nuts holding rings to base. Even this should be done by a qualified individual however unless you have been around scoped rifles for quite some time. There are plenty of ways to mess up all of the above