• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M40A5 Build

40x

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Pennsylvanian
Staring out a new project with a M40A5 clone. I am going to get a PTG bolt body and handle for a 308 win bolt face since by current set up is 223 bolt. My question is dose the USMC armors weld on the bolt handles or do they silver braze the handle on. Which is a more stronger method of attaching a bolt handle on.

Re: M40A5 Build

Get ahold of Chad Dixon of Longrifles Inc. He's got an ingenious method of welding AND soldering them on, I really can't see any better way of doing them than how he does it.

On another note, you'll want to check the feed lips of that action, I believe they need to be modified/machined in order to feed .308 rounds from the same action. In most cases, you're money ahead to start with the right bolt face action.

-matt

You really don't want to trash a 223 action for this project. Doing so robs someone else of a ready to go 223 action plus costs you more $$ making a 223 action into a 308 action. Get a 473 bolt face short action and be done with it.

Here's the spec from a reputable builder - no comments on the bolt handle attachment here, but you can PM A10XRIFLE here on the 'hide to ask about it.

http://www.gaprecision.net/mil-spec-rifles/m40a5.html

Are you sure you want a spec rifle? You are already wanting to change things right out of the box per your message.

Thank you guys for the heads up I did not realize that the feeding lip were different.

You can pickup a new Remington 700 SA receiver w/trigger from Brownell's for $399.00. If you wait a few more weeks, Brownell's will have the 2011 Shot Show discount coupon worth an extra 10% off on the receiver for $359.00.

I think it will be much cheaper and closer to a spec. rifle than getting a new bolt and having the handle brazed on.

Like 9H said, don't trash the 223 action! Sell it or build another rifle with the 223 action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Staring out a new project with a M40A5 clone. I am going to get a PTG bolt body and handle for a 308 win bolt face since by current set up is 223 bolt. My question is dose the USMC armors weld on the bolt handles or do they silver braze the handle on. Which is a more stronger method of attaching a bolt handle on.
</div></div>

I'm a former US Marine. Did my time, love the Corps, Country, Mom, God, Apple Pie, etc.

That being said there are a few portions I'd do a little different than PWS when it comes to a sniper rifle. I've been to their shop, I've been to Iraq (3 years consecutively) blah, blah.

Even got a T shirt. . .
smile.gif

Take all this with a grain of salt, as its just my opinion. It is however one I base on personal observation and experience.

1. Pin the recoil lug.
2. Don't bed the scope base as its a waste of time. It should be fitted by lapping it in.
3. Ditch the 8-40 base screws. use the std 6-48's and have the base TIG welded to the receiver. If the welder knows his stuff he won't turn your action into a banana.
4. Either use a bar stock bolt or get the handle TIG'd to the bolt body.
5. DO NOT use a Sako extractor. I personally would leave the factory one in it, but if you must change it, go with a M-16 style. Sakos are dangerous in 90* twin lug actions.
6. Skin bedding is a waste of time in a stock.

Don't set the gun up with a BR type chamber. A tactical rifle must do one thing above all else. It must WORK.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

Chad

My biggest problem with the Remington 700 is the bolt handle. After seeing a few off them ripping of in competitions as the bolt was worked makes me wonder if any came off the M40 series of rifles. For the bolt handle to come of in competition is one thing but for it to happen in combat that would really really suck. Just wanted to find out how the armor’s in the USMC were attaching the bolt handle.

They aren't attaching them; they come attached from Remington!!!
grin.gif
The Tig welded base concept sounds really interesting!! Chad, you don't have any pix by any chance??? something I've been wanting to do.

Chad, it is nice to hear a voice of reason.

Your additude and willingness to help others is Awesome!

Respectfully,

Jetmd