• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a5ish advice?

ThaFoeHammer

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2022
NC
Hi everyone. I’m brand new the forum so I wasn’t sure where to ask this. I’d love to put together an m40a3ish or m40a5ish rifle but in .300wm and with a Remington 700 action and heavy 5r barrel. Lately I’ve been considering just getting a CA BA Tactical instead because it seems difficult/expensive to get everything together with the state of Remington now. Any advice would be great thanks.

Forget Remington and get one of the custom actions instead. A Bighorn Origin LA is $1000. Sounds like a lot but when you figure in you spend $400-500 for a 700 action, then spend another $100-120 on a base, $50 for a larger bolt knob and another $30-50 on a recoil lug and then spend the money on a smith to fix it by truing you are right at that $1000 mark or real close. The Origin come right from the factory and with the Origin you can order shouldered prefit barrels and put it on yourself at home. You can also change the bolt head so if you wanted to make your 300WM a 30-06 or another cartridge with a .473 bolt face you just change bolthead and barrel and a you have a new set up.

I used to use 700 actions a lot but would never even step into one now with all the great options out there to shooters.

Buy used Remmy action in magnum bolt face. Send to LRI. Write check.

What do you want to be "A3ish or A5ish"? Stock? M40 contour barrel? Or down to scope rings and all the full Mongo shit?
I just meant I want the McMillan a4 stock and a Remington action. I don’t need anything else to match really. I originally was going to buy a 700 police or 700 5r and then just get the stock later but since they aren’t making those right now….

Last edited:
Reactions: HogsLife
Hmmm I also have a A3/A5ish project going on as well. The above is all good advice, but…. I’m a DYI type guy and find doing it myself overly satisfying and stimulating. With that said I also have good support from my circle of fellow shooting junkies. If your in the same camp as I am I say go for it have a ball while your doing it, I am.

I pretty much have all the major parts for my build it isn’t going too be a spec build but it will fill the void pretty closely or close enough for me.

Reactions: ThaFoeHammer
Only word of caution is on suppressors. Lots of M40 clone builders start modest and then want more and more, and the suppressor is just not attainable. There are other Surefire cans that look the part. You will want to make your flash hider choice accordingly. We get the flash hiders in every 6 months or so, but if you get the correct flash hider, you are not going to get a can to match it.

Reactions: ThaFoeHammer
Hi everyone. I’m brand new the forum so I wasn’t sure where to ask this. I’d love to put together an m40a3ish or m40a5ish rifle but in .300wm and with a Remington 700 action and heavy 5r barrel. Lately I’ve been considering just getting a CA BA Tactical instead because it seems difficult/expensive to get everything together with the state of Remington now. Any advice would be great thanks.
What is this “ish” you speak of? ..

Welcome to Forum man. Sounds like you’re just gonna build a heavy barrels rifle on a McMillan.

I’m a big fan of the Bighorn Origin. Lotta features for the price and by the time you round up a R700 and have it worked over you’re gone be into it about what you would be into the bighorn. Patrol the PX and some of the forums. They’ll pop up for $900-ishish every now and again or just hit up one of the vendors here and grab one. LA Mag BF.

Great bing about your bighorn is the Prefits. Can hit up PVA or some of the other vendors and see about a Criterion Prefit . That’ll save you some funds. Or if you got the money, run with one of the premium barrels ie Bartlien, Krieger are my top choices.

That’ll atleast get you dialed in on a nice barreled action.

Reactions: moosemeat