• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A5'ish build

ArmedGinger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2018
BC, Canada
So I'm looking doing an M40A5'ish build. It will be a very loosed budget build. Picked up a mcmillan A4 stock for $315 USD. It doesn't have the dual knobs for the cheek riser but that's ok, it was cheap. Since I work in a gun store I get most stuff for cost plus 10% to help keep the costs down. I'm going to use a pacific tool bottom metal to be able to run AICS mags since they are cheap and plentiful here in the great white north. It will also run a trigger tech trigger as well since we are a dealer for them.

I can't get a Schneider #7 barrel since we don't deal with them, but there are others that I can get which will get me close to the same dimensions.

Now my biggest question though. I was going to change it up from 308 to something else. I have enough 308 rifles and was thinking 6.5 caliber. Now originally I was leaning to 6.5 PRC since I've never owned one. But the ammo is rare as hens teeth up here and even the reloading components are nonexistent. But if I went with say the 6.5 creedmoor, the ammo is plentiful and so are the reloading components (except for primers of course)

So what say the masses? PRC or Creedmoor? I'm looking for something that I can buy factory ammo off the shelf when I can't find the reloading components needed.

Last edited:
260ai. near prc performance in a stable case that will use a standard boltface.

Reactions: Stevo86
Here is another question. Does anyone know of a muzzle brake that closely resembles the one from an M40A5? At least one that ships to Canada?

I did a M40A3ish build in 6.5cm. It also has a barrel nut type system so I can change calibers if I want.

Nice looking build. If you can find and install an early PGW EFR you’d have a something pretty close to a transitional A3 (cartridge not widthstanding).

Here is another question. Does anyone know of a muzzle brake that closely resembles the one from an M40A5? At least one that ships to Canada?

Griffin armament RSTA brake.

20220103_111253.jpg

Ok so everything is ordered. I went with a Proof Research M24 contour barrel since we are a dealer and I'll be able to get a wicked deal on it along with everything else.

Company sent the wrong barrel so that had to go back. Other than that all I'm waiting for is the magazine and I can start building then cerakoting

View attachment 7803683
May I know where you get the PGW NV bridge? I am also located in Canada and trying to do M40 A5 clone.
Thank you in advance.

May I know where you get the PGW NV bridge? I am also located in Canada and trying to do M40 A5 clone.
Thank you in advance.
Check the PX on here (or upgrade your acct to Supporter” and post a WTB) for the PGW EFR…Watch listings on Ebay and GB. Check AR15.com (less likely but possible source).

I don’t believe its an ITAR restricted item so US based sellers should be able to ship to you but you will have to double check.

Reactions: Zane777
How are things coming along?

I've been off work for two months due to medical leave. Started having migraines that never went away and doctors found a growth in my left atrium in my nose. Luckily the biopsy found it was benign so just waiting to speak to a surgeon about getting it removed. Been on serious painkillers since this started.