• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a6 build WIP

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Its not vintage but would be more appreciated here than any other section.

Been slowly accumulating the parts for an A6 build...something i swore id never build but here we are. The wife wanted me to have something she could shoot on occasion and didn't like my other 308s so this will be done in 223.

-RR action
    -Badger A6 lug
    -Remington RACS chassis
    -Bartlein 5r .224 8 twist
    -Surefire brake
    -Larue lt840H-34-0
    -standard Walker trigger tuned to 2.25lbs.
    -UID sticker from Carolinalaserworks

Going to top her off in a ATACR 5-25 f1 illuminated with T3. Been seeing the majority of photos coming from there west with these instead of the S&B.

Started to get pics of the fake lug slot but only got one. E and G prefix actions had the full lug slot from the A5 days but the new RRs they use only have the bridge flattening, thumb cut and 8-40 screws.

Hoping to slap together there rest of the barreled action in the next month or so. Might have a house move and all my machinery would need to come as well so TBD.

Most of the pics i received show the same markings as the A5 series and will follow that process.

Anyway, will update as the build moves forward!

20200529_115943.jpg

20200604_162415.jpg

Following. Whats that tap attachment you got in the mill? Looks like it just holds the tap in line and you turn by hand?

Reactions: Halfnutz
    If I follow this thread.. it will most likely cost me big money.
    I dont see it as being poor but getting rich in history 😂.

Following. Whats that tap attachment you got in the mill? Looks like it just holds the tap in line and you turn by hand?

Yup, its a guided tap meant for this. Keeps the tap aligned straight when running it in.

Oddly, the front 2 and very back screw holes were spot on the remington spacing and inline. the 3rd screw hole (back of ejection port) was slightly off center and a gnats ass hair forward. Weird how only one hole rebelled.

Reactions: aku
    Would you mind posting a close up of the UID label?

Would you mind posting a close up of the UID label?

Its the 0.6" round uid

Input the info you want and its in the uid label if you were to scan it.

Reactions: camocorvette
    It looks to me as if the stock folds to the bolt handle side.

If so, does the bolt handle get in the way when folding.

It looks to me as if the stock folds to the bolt handle side.

If so, does the bolt handle get in the way when folding.

It does fold to the bolt handle but it doesn't contact. It also latches closed, not just friction. I can't say if it would contact with a bolt knob on though. I can check in a few weeks

Welp, wife asked what i wanted for my birthday and i said a day alone to finally put this together.... and the good wife i have gave me what i wanted. Just wondering when she will finally come home :unsure:

Anyway, she went together great. New RR action and badger A6 lug age fit like a dream in the RACS. Front tube/mount block needed tweeking since the asshats to manufacture it did it incorrectly. My guess is thats the #1 reason the rails bend and bind the action when torqued.

Only put 1 proof round down but going to work some 77 RDFs and 77 TMKs and see what she does.

I only marked the pws-p and last 4 sn on the handle and lug. Couldnt find any proof its stamped anywhere else. If you have info please let me know!
    IMG_20200719_191310_081.jpg
    IMG_20200719_191310_087.jpg

Can't believe it was 7 months ago she got built... finally got the scope in and mounted up. Hoping to do some pressure testing this weekend so I can really start load development. Also going to spray the black oxide on and get her proper looking.

Can't say yet if I like it more than the A5 but I'm going to hold out judgment until I run her through a match or 2.

IMG_20210201_183342_971.jpg

Sprayed a little black oxide today. Not setup for actual oxide but maybe down the line if I can start drumming up clone building business. Hope to have my FFL in a few months and specializing in clone builds.

Still have a strong urge to grab some krylon and paint up this chassis like some of the west coast dudes. Its pretty painful thinking of painting a $2k chassis though. Krylon will likely win out.

20210205_173623.jpg

20210205_173723.jpg

Two photos of the paint scheme.
    image7.jpeg

MarinesCOV.png

Started to break her in and I'm pretty pleased. 5 shot group is rounds 11-15 and the 3 shot is rounds 25-27. Both groups are factory black hills 75gr. Did some pressure testing and will start an OCW in a week or 2 to prep for her first match in mid May.

20210405_174738.jpg
    20210405_174802.jpg

That thing is absolutely stunning! Great job. Do you got any photos of the UID tag you can post? Would like to see how it turned out.

That thing is absolutely stunning! Great job. Do you got any photos of the UID tag you can post? Would like to see how it turned out.
    @FUNCTIONAL...interested in more info as well. There is one source on eBay for these tags and they look to be in spec to mil pictures that I've seen. The ones that Carolina Laser Works makes are a little different with the text format. Did they give you an option to customize the top and bottom text and is the tag properly curved to fit on a Remington action?

@FUNCTIONAL...interested in more info as well. There is one source on eBay for these tags and they look to be in spec to mil pictures that I've seen. The ones that Carolina Laser Works makes are a little different with the text format. Did they give you an option to customize the top and bottom text and is the tag properly curved to fit on a Remington action?

So this is the UID tag I got from CLW (blurred out the QR part). It does NOT match the photos I have from one in fleet example. The in fleet example I have shows the receiver SN where CLW has "do not remove" and above the QR code where CLW's says "UID" it looks like it says "E1480" on the in fleet example but it's a bit hard to make out.

It also is not pre curved to sit flat on a remington receiver. It takes nothing to do some light bending over a screw driver shaft to match the curve though.

I'm going to be emailing CLW and seeing if I can get one made up to match the in fleet example better.

20210410_221933.jpg

Reactions: Nate87
    Thanks for the info! Here is the eBay source I mentioned: https://www.ebay.com/itm/M40A5-M40A...ine-Corps-Sniper-rifle-m82A1-dm-/124383928433 . I can’t provide a recommendation for them either way as I have not dealt with the seller before. Hopefully CLW will be able to customize it. They have been recommended by a number of folks in the AR clone community so I’d probably lean in that direction.
    That's the one I was looking at too. Seems to have the weapon S/N on the bottom but I'm not sure what the top one is for. Maybe weapon system identifier?

That's the one I was looking at too. Seems to have the weapon S/N on the bottom but I'm not sure what the top one is for. Maybe weapon system identifier?
    Yeah I’ve looked at a number of pictures that read E1460 on the top. Did a google search for “e1460 m40a5” and there are a couple gov documents that say it’s some kind of inventory number for the M40A5 rifle.

I think it may be the identifier. I have to check my notes what the identifier was in my QR code when I did a bunch of research.

E1460 might be what my in fleet example says. It's hard to make out that 6 vs 8. Curious if e1460 was the A5 of the e1480 would make sense to be an A6.

The number at the top of the UID for the M40A6 is E14607M and called the TAMCN number, or Table of Authorized Material Control Number.

I have no idea why the number changed so much and why they added the M at the end.

Last edited:
    The number at the top of the UID for the M40A6 is E14607M and called the TAMCN number, or Table of Authorized Material Control Number.

I have no idea why the number changed so much and why they added the M at the end.
    Thanks for that. You wouldn't happen to have the TAMCN for the NF atacr they are using now on the A6 do you?

There is no UID for the NF scope like you see above. They have a rectangular area on the objective housing that has the NSN, SN, Cage, MFR Part No and then small data matrix marking.

There is no UID for the NF scope like you see above. They have a rectangular area on the objective housing that has the NSN, SN, Cage, MFR Part No and then small data matrix marking.
    10-4. Sounds like the PSR scopes from s&b. Thank you for the info!

Reactions: USMCsean
    Appreciate that. All the photos I have with the atacr are from the right side minus 1 which does show that. Never caught it was markings I just thought it was scope rash.
    Did you ever get a response from CLW on if they can customize the text on the round UID?

They should be able to custom do it. The SN on the bottom side is specific to each gun, as it’s the SN. The top number is fixed per model.

@FUNCTIONAL I picked up the UID from eBay for my A5 build. It's a metal tag and came pre-contoured for the action. Laser engravings/text are very clean and the ECC200 Data Matrix is scannable with my phone app. The code reads "M40A5" and the serial number when scanned. No idea if this is "correct" or not, but it's what I received when asking for a A5 UID tag.

IMG_2683 - Copy.jpg

Was that the one from TheHogsDen on ebay? Looks good! How long did it take from the time you ordered to delivered?

Was that the one from TheHogsDen on ebay? Looks good! How long did it take from the time you ordered to delivered?
    Correct. The turn around time was about a week and a half.

I also ordered one in an alternate format from Carolina Laser Works based on another image I found with a different style tag. They shipped very fast and I had it within a few days. https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com/TAMCN-1-5-x-0-75-p148610802 . The layout in this picture is a bit more condensed all around but mine has the exact same data fields of TAMCN: E1460, my serial, and NSN: 1005015677827. There are very few pictures of A5s with this style so I'll probably just use the round one.

160112-M-ZM882-168.jpg

TheHogsDen is a legit shop if that's where it came from TwoManAttack runs that if I'm not mistaken. Whatever you got in sure is as accurate as can be.

As for CLW I had been talking to him about the details and then he went silent. I sent him a PM just now to remind him but I may end up going your route.

@FUNCTIONAL I picked up the UID from eBay for my A5 build. It's a metal tag and came pre-contoured for the action. Laser engravings/text are very clean and the ECC200 Data Matrix is scannable with my phone app. The code reads "M40A5" and the serial number when scanned. No idea if this is "correct" or not, but it's what I received when asking for a A5 UID tag.

View attachment 7630487
    Nice! That's good to hear the wait isn't that long. I was expecting a much greater lead time.
    Correct. The turn around time was about a week and a half.

I also ordered one in an alternate format from Carolina Laser Works based on another image I found with a different style tag. They shipped very fast and I had it within a few days. https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com/TAMCN-1-5-x-0-75-p148610802 . The layout in this picture is a bit more condensed all around but mine has the exact same data fields of TAMCN: E1460, my serial, and NSN: 1005015677827. There are very few pictures of A5s with this style so I'll probably just use the round one.

View attachment 7630668
    I've never seen that tag before. Good to know!
    TheHogsDen is a legit shop if that's where it came from TwoManAttack runs that if I'm not mistaken. Whatever you got in sure is as accurate as can be.

As for CLW I had been talking to him about the details and then he went silent. I sent him a PM just now to remind him but I may end up going your route.
    Thanks for that feedback! I'll probable end up going with the TMA tag.