• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dvando20

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Hello all, I am using an Aero M5 lower and upper receiver along with extended M5 pivot pin to avoid the recess. What other brands work with the M5 lower? I am a KAC diva and would like to use their LPK and any other parts I can (minus pivot pin). But don't wanna drop the coin on any KAC stuff to find it not compatible. And if KAC won't work, what are other ideas for higher end LPK's? (LMT? LWRC? Seekins?). I get people are happy with the Aero LPK, but if I can find better parts for this receiver, I would prefer to go that route.
Thanks in advance.

Geissele may have their issues but their parts kits are still some of the best. I also use LMT as well. both would be fine alternatives to KAC.

Reactions: Dvando20
Geissele may have their issues but their parts kits are still some of the best. I also use LMT as well. both would be fine alternatives to KAC.
Would Geissele or LMT AR15 kits work with the M5 lower minus the bolt catch and pivot pin? I am thinking about all pins, detents and springs that go with it also.

• Haha
Reactions: x248716x
I would source each component individually. Every part in a LPK has nuances, particularly with the M5. The downside is multiple shipping costs, unless you're buying for multiple builds or grouping with other parts from the same vendor. An example would be the fit of the pistol grip on the M5, which could be a thread in itself.

I would source each component individually. Every part in a LPK has nuances, particularly with the M5. The downside is multiple shipping costs, unless you're buying for multiple builds or grouping with other parts from the same vendor. An example would be the fit of the pistol grip on the M5, which could be a thread in itself.
That is a good point. Not to mention there is also taking a ton of time to research which high-end parts work best with the M5.

Here’s the issue, and @TheOE800 eluded to it.. you are using high quality parts and mediocre quality receivers. You are gonna have a bad time. The receiver is the most important part.
Oh I agree 110%. I normally prefer better receivers. For my 5.56 setups I run Seekins or DD. But I got the M5 lower to match an M5 upper that a good friend built for me and it matches. Otherwise I would lean more towards an SP10 or a REPR. But I figured I would work with what I have to make it decent.

• Haha
Reactions: x248716x
Oh I agree 110%. I normally prefer better receivers. For my 5.56 setups I run Seekins or DD. But I got the M5 lower to match an M5 upper that a good friend built for me and it matches. Otherwise I would lean more towards an SP10 or a REPR. But I figured I would work with what I have to make it decent.
As long as you know. One thing I’d recommend is getting non rotating trigger pins from kns precision. Aero tends to drill the pin hole a little oversized

these pins are like franks red hot, I put that shit on everything.

Reactions: Renegade_Red
As long as you know. One thing I’d recommend is getting non rotating trigger pins from kns precision. Aero tends to drill the pin hole a little oversized

these pins are like franks red hot, I put that shit on everything.
For the trigger pins, i was gonna use a CMC trigger with the screws and a drop of Blue LT. That seems to be the ticket with most of my builds

I bet this is compatible with the Aero M5 lower...

And, I'd make an analogy to a ham sandwich on wonder bread sprinkled in colloidal gold. The sandwich will get you buy, but the gold is totally superfluous when a swipe of mayo is sufficient...

I bet this is compatible with the Aero M5 lower...

And, I'd make an analogy to a ham sandwich on wonder bread sprinkled in colloidal gold. The sandwich will get you buy, but the gold is totally superfluous when a swipe of mayo is sufficient...
Best analogy i think I have ever read haha

Here’s the issue, and @TheOE800 eluded to it.. you are using high quality parts and mediocre quality receivers. You are gonna have a bad time. The receiver is the most important part.
On your comment tho, what other brands of the DPMS LR-308 platform are above DPMS and Aero? Most of the other higher end companies are either proprietary, or are Armalite platform. I am just curious

Lower parts kits are one of the highest risk areas of any AR platform build. ONLY buy from proven quality manufactures.

Colt, BCM, LMT, Geissle, HK, KAC.

All will use US/Euro Sourced parts that are actually tested to ensure they were manufactured and heat treated correctly.

Even if I am doing a cheap build on an Anderson or similar lower, I will source out a Colt LPK or BCM.

Too many small parts failures over the years using budget and cheap parts kits that are filled with imported Chinese garbage metal or the rejects from lots sent to the above companies.

Lower parts kits are one of the highest risk areas of any AR platform build. ONLY buy from proven quality manufactures.

Colt, BCM, LMT, Geissle, HK, KAC.

All will use US/Euro Sourced parts that are actually tested to ensure they were manufactured and heat treated correctly.

Even if I am doing a cheap build on an Anderson or similar lower, I will source out a Colt LPK or BCM.

Too many small parts failures over the years using budget and cheap parts kits that are filled with imported Chinese garbage metal or the rejects from lots sent to the above companies.
This is really good to hear. What are your thoughts on Spikes Tactical lowers? I have heard many good things about them

Ohh gotcha. Before I dive into their site. What are uppers and lowers goin for? And due to the lack of a true mil-spec for AR10, what is proprietary to them?

Zev is my go to.
The Zev large frame is SR25 pattern and is not compatible with DPMS LR-308.

OP. I strongly advise against mixing manufacturers of uppers and lowers when building a large frame AR. I believe that your intention is to use an Aero upper, so stay with the Aero lower or start all over. As far as Aero receiver quality, Compass Lake Engineering uses the Aero M5 Enhanced upper for their precision builds. It comes down to the builders skill and the rest of the parts selection when it comes to reliability and precision.

The Zev large frame is SR25 pattern and is not compatible with DPMS LR-308.

OP. I strongly advise against mixing manufacturers of uppers and lowers when building a large frame AR. I believe that your intention is to use an Aero upper, so stay with the Aero lower or start all over. As far as Aero receiver quality, Compass Lake Engineering uses the Aero M5 Enhanced upper for their precision builds. It comes down to the builders skill and the rest of the parts selection when it comes to reliability and precision.
That’s funny cause everything I put on mine is dpms and it works perfectly.

so what is it about the Aero M5 receiver set, that you have in your hands right now, that you feel is poor quality? other than it's not name-brand KAC? please be specific. I'd like to hear this. What do you feel is amiss?

is it the lack of the built-in ambi bolt catch?

serious question.
History, first hand usage and testing (outside the company), a track record. Unknown resolved issues that are normally only corrected over the course of time.

That’s funny cause everything I put on mine is dpms and it works perfectly.
The OP stated that he is using an Aero upper (post 9). Then he asked you "On your comment tho, what other brands of the DPMS LR-308 platform are above DPMS and Aero?" (post 14), which you replied "Zev is my go to." (post 16). I was attempting to clear that up for him.

People don’t know what SR25 standard is. Armalite slant cut receivers at whatever height, DPMS barrel, DPMS/SR25 magazine,
Is there even an ar10 standard 😂😂. The sr25 thing is new to me for Zev. BUT, I also never asked and use their matched receivers and handguards. But the barrel is def dpms pattern so maybe that’s why I assumed.

Aero M5 uppers on DPMS-pattern lowers:

pXqdzYd.jpg

ey8iLM1.jpg

actually @msgriff is correct.
Here is one even more clear. My M5 upper on an actual DPMS LR-308 lower before i got the M5 lower.
20211108_200842.jpg

The OP stated that he is using an Aero upper (post 9). Then he asked you "On your comment tho, what other brands of the DPMS LR-308 platform are above DPMS and Aero?" (post 14), which you replied "Zev is my go to." (post 16). I was attempting to clear that up for him.
But just so there is no confusion

F84D7888-9BB2-4EBC-8048-C82F954C9C97.png

I am gonna claim my "newbness" and ask what LP and FCD are?
Not who you asked, but LP = lower parts FCD = Forward Controls Design
Although the person you asked posted a picture of an MARS-L 5.56, FCD does makes some parts for large frames in addition to AR-15's, and many parts will work on either platform. They are regarded as one of the best.

Forward controls design? What is the difference between a LPK and the forward controls design? (Learning something new right now)

Meme aside, FCD doesn’t make the right side bolt catch/cam/lobe mechanism so you’re stuck with at least 50% of LMT’s bolt catch levers; ain’t no fixing that pot metal.

1670996492343.png

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli
Aside from the meme, opinions on FCD parts?
Subcontracted designs marked up bigly, but they ARE machined tool steel. Leave the dimples at home though.

I use his takedown/pivot pins almost exclusively, but even that’s a design he bought out years ago. The end plates are comically expensive now with ridiculous tolerance issues, but they’re fairly good and steel too. His LPK springs are CMMG supplied and the detents are KNS nitrided.

Reactions: rpoL98
Would it be worth my time to order the Springs, pin detents and the reinforced buffer retainer?

Would it be worth my time to order the Springs, pin detents and the reinforced buffer retainer?
He’s assembled them together for you and I think those ship free (margin is yuge). If you’re only gonna do it once, sure. I did that before I knew better.

Reactions: Dvando20
Another great manufacturer I have found for LPK would be V7. Expensive, but top shelf. They make AR10 parts.

SOLGW makes a lot of the FCD stuff, so if you want to skip the duck check them out.

Another great manufacturer I have found for LPK would be V7. Expensive, but top shelf. They make AR10 parts.

SOLGW makes a lot of the FCD stuff, so if you want to skip the duck check them out.
That’s a Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000GT situation.