• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M70 ish

roostercogburn98

Fudd gun collector extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
I’ll preface by saying I don’t know hardly anything about
M70s except what I have read here from some members that have them.

Or maybe not even ish? What’s the input of the vintage experts and not so experts on a retro mod style M70?

First with the action. Pre64 or post, does it truly matter if I don’t want a clone correct? If I understand correctly, the post 68 or so models are push feed. Is there any inherent issues with that platform that I haven’t see or heard about?
Next is the barrel/caliber. I want it done in 308, somewhere along the lines of 20-22 inches. I want it threaded with a seamless (or seamless as possible) thread protector. I would ideally like an iron sight mount on the barrel as well.
Scope: Do the barrel block mounted Unertls impact accuracy so much that it would negate using a nice modern barrel blank, say bartlein or something along those lines. I’m not partial to either style, both are acceptable for me, but the older style is a little more interesting to me.
And before we get the “why” in the way. Simply because I can is why, I like different. Besides pissing off the purists, what am I missing that would make this build not perform as it should.

Lots of long threads on this forum re M70, just search "pre 64" and you should get hits. Just remember they are all collector's items now and prices for the rifle and parts have gotten higher over the years. If you don't care about building a replica, you can save yourself a lot of money and build a Remington M700.

Last edited:
Lots of long threads on this forum re M70, just such "pre 64" and you should get hits. Just remember they are all collector's items now and prices for the rifle and parts have gotten higher over the years. If you don't care about building a replica, you can save yourself a lot of money and build a Remington M700.
Thought about that. Don’t have a 70 in the stable. That’s kinda why I was gliding towards a non correct clone. I can pick up post 68GCA models for next to nothing. I just don’t know if they generation is worth it, or is it full of problems. I have read enough to know that there a quite a few people that don’t care for the push feed setups. Stocks are cheap for a wood stock that is almost correct or close to it without costing a fortune. Glass is a bit tricky but doable, and barrels can sometimes come out of nowhere if you no where to look.

I’ll preface by saying I don’t know hardly anything about
M70s except what I have read here from some members that have them.

Or maybe not even ish? What’s the input of the vintage experts and not so experts on a retro mod style M70?

First with the action. Pre64 or post, does it truly matter if I don’t want a clone correct? If I understand correctly, the post 68 or so models are push feed. Is there any inherent issues with that platform that I haven’t see or heard about?
Next is the barrel/caliber. I want it done in 308, somewhere along the lines of 20-22 inches. I want it threaded with a seamless (or seamless as possible) thread protector. I would ideally like an iron sight mount on the barrel as well.
Scope: Do the barrel block mounted Unertls impact accuracy so much that it would negate using a nice modern barrel blank, say bartlein or something along those lines. I’m not partial to either style, both are acceptable for me, but the older style is a little more interesting to me.
And before we get the “why” in the way. Simply because I can is why, I like different. Besides pissing off the purists, what am I missing that would make this build not perform as it should.

If you don’t care about history then skip the original Pre-64’s and leave them for the collectors. If you don’t care about CRF then pick up a post-64 as they can probably be found cheap and cleaned up like a 700. Also if you don’t care about the Winchester on the side and the three position safety then just buy a 700.

If you do care about CRF and the three position safety then buy a modern M70 and use that as the base for your build. The current Model 70 has the best fit and finish so they would make a good base for what you are looking to do with it.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
If you don’t care about history then skip the original Pre-64’s and leave them for the collectors. If you don’t care about CRF then pick up a post-64 as they can probably be found cheap and cleaned up like a 700. Also if you don’t care about the Winchester on the side and the three position safety then just buy a 700.

If you do care about CRF and the three position safety then buy a modern M70 and use that as the base for your build. The current Model 70 has the best fit and finish so they would make a good base for what you are looking to do with it.
Thank you, this is knowledge/experience I am seeking. I’m not against a modern frame build. I kinda want the look more than the collectible part if that makes sense to anyone. Not wanting to do another 700/7 gun though.

I have a pre '64 70 that was first built by Larry Racine in .308. When I got it the barrel was on the way out but it still was a good Expert rifle which I was on a good day... I barreled it to 6.5 Creedmoor and when my Son inherits it he will be able to shoot it far better then I can anymore. I do like looking at it though.

I have a pre '64 70 that was first built by Larry Racine in .308. When I got it the barrel was on the way out but it still was a good Expert rifle which I was on a good day... I barreled it to 6.5 Creedmoor and when my Son inherits it he will be able to shoot it far better then I can anymore. I do like looking at it though.
What kind of glass and stock does it have?

Reactions: canman
Scroll to this and read it all. After you get done, it should cover a lot of what you want to know.
You ask questions then, it might be easier to answer then.

Screenshot_20220331-184249_Chrome.jpg

Winchester 70 action options.

Listed their Stocks as A-D and there are standard, featherweight, magnum, & Supergrade variants, plus synthetic, and aftermarket.

Pre-64. Stocks A....

64 transition push feed LA
66 and after push feed with anti-bind bolt. LA
Control round push feed LA
Control round feed. LA.
The 4 above Stocks B.

90's push feed SA
CRPF SA
CRF SA.
These 3, Stocks C.

Short magnum actions, super short magnums. Some Stocks C and Stocks D.

I have owned most of the listed actions in one form of the other.

If all you want is a 308 shooting mag length ammo, find a 243 or 308 rifle, remove the barrel and stock. Put a quality #6 contour or #7 contour in a 10 twist barrel on it, stock of your choice, and have at it.

Scroll to this and read it all. After you get done, it should cover a lot of what you want to know.
You ask questions then, it might be easier to answer then.

View attachment 7840117
I have read that thread, kinda what got my mind on having something in that realm. I read some on it the other day and read most of what he posts about his vintage rifles. I’d say he is partly responsible for me wanting to do this.

As for scope, nothing crazy really. I rarely shoot any kind of distance, and that is 600 and in. Most of my plinking is at 100-200 just for shits and giggles.

fwiw, i do believe most (if not all) of the current production Win M70 actions are "pre-64 style" actions.

it looks like the only push round feed actions Winchester is making are their XPR line.
Half correct, there are differences between the modern Model 70 and the original Pre-64 versions but they are both CRF and share much more in common compared to the post-64 push feed models.

What kind of glass and stock does it have?
When L.Racine built it was a Palma rifle. It had 2 stocks a McMillen and the Winchester Target, and no sights. I was using it XTC so it has a PNW rear and a Stallings 30mm Right Sight up front. I'm going to scope it and just use it long range prone that 10 in 60 seconds sitting with that long action is getting to be a bear.

Attachments

• DSCN1679.JPG
    DSCN1679.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN1682.JPG
    DSCN1682.JPG
    387.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN1681.JPG
    DSCN1681.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 81
@canman

Very cool indeed. Something about traditional sights does it for me. I have a Winchester “Winder Musket” with the Lyman sights. It’s neat and fun to shoot, even if it is only 22 short.

When L.Racine built it was a Palma rifle. It had 2 stocks a McMillen and the Winchester Target, and no sights. I was using it XTC so it has a PNW rear and a Stallings 30mm Right Sight up front. I'm going to scope it and just use it long range prone that 10 in 60 seconds sitting with that long action is getting to be a bear.

Still shooting XTC old school?

That's pretty badass

Will bring this thread full circle as well. Donor gun was located for a fairly good price. This is the auction site pic, will get better ones when it lands in my hands.

Pre 64 Winchester featherlight chambered in 243, manufactured in 1962 ish.
AF78A99C-AB38-477B-9B8D-92A7BBA376E0.jpeg

Will bring this thread full circle as well. Donor gun was located for a fairly good price. This is the auction site pic, will get better ones when it lands in my hands.

Pre 64 Winchester featherlight chambered in 243, manufactured in 1962 ish. View attachment 8330584
Good find. I'm looking for another pre'64 as well. I'm deciding what to build for CMP modern sniper. M70, M40 or M21. What will probably decide is what doner gun I find first.

Last edited:
Good find. I'm looking for another pre'64 as well. I'm deciding what to build for CMP modern sniper. M70, M40 or M21. What will probably decide is what doner gun I find first.
I figured this one was already tampered with, and as an early 60s featherweight there was no real desecration to one more collectible

Goood luck in your search, this one just kinda popped up in an unrelated search

That is going to be quite a chore. The machining is way off. Hope you can get it sorted out.
Why did you not use American Black Walnut? Your wood is better but looks different.

That is going to be quite a chore. The machining is way off. Hope you can get it sorted out.
Why did you not use American Black Walnut? Your wood is better but looks different.
Stock is English Walnut, bought it from an online retailer that had TONS of positive feedback and sales of rough cut stocks. I figured it would have been in better shape, but probably won’t buy from that seller again.

I got the bottom metal to sit pretty much where it needs to, and started working on fitting the magazine box, but had to stop to help someone out.

C1CAD0C4-B077-4521-A371-63C278BB4438.jpeg

Stock is fit to action, and it cycles and ejects like should. Lots of fine tuning and more cleanup left for sure.

Ordered some unertl blocks from fleabay today, decided to lay the 10x on it. Will work on changing the rear mount later.

Will call the gunsmith next week and see about getting the action and barrel blank to them. Still have to source a front sight appropriate to the rear sight I had laying around. The mock up unertl blocks are too high, but gives me a reference until the ordered ones show up.
D1D6ED3A-2B46-4309-8BFD-8C324F4E186F.jpeg

Featherweight barrel came off today. Bottom metal is flush, or as flush as it will be as well.

Unertl mounts showed up. Next step is the final make me happy fitting to the stock, and call the gunshop to see when I can get this terd mailed off. Still looking for a front sight base for a globe style sight, but those mount holes center to center measurements are fairly common.
FC6ABEBF-06B5-4C7A-8E99-7628F130642A.jpeg
6DEAEBE6-626F-428E-812A-0C2106177C7B.jpeg
D7C9F7F9-887B-4F25-9B0F-FCA59235D553.jpeg

@roostercogburn98;

Any progress on this project?
Parts are sitting in some weirdos prison suitcase right now. He has been busy with some other things, but I’ve been assured it won’t be forever.

The stock is pretty much finished as far as “looks” go. I added a stud to mount my trusty harris bipods, and put a few coats of oil on.
B440CA75-4651-4B6B-A1C4-0C9851272F7F.jpeg
88DC9D96-89D6-42D9-BEA7-3EF2FCD231FD.jpeg
A6474D50-FE10-4430-98D5-AB0A464C2E14.jpeg
92AD0E8D-42E1-4269-9E49-CA109D234CFB.jpeg

D5EB3746-23B3-4CC5-AA2E-2DB7D786ADBF.jpeg
030C3BA7-221C-4A53-B9D4-6C79CC05F975.jpeg