• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M700 260 Remington AAC Makeover

el gordo2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
San Antonio, Tejas
I had <span style="text-decoration: line-through">five </span> (now four) 308 rifles, a 6.5-284Win and a 6.5x55 but still yearned for a 260 Rem.

Recently was able to score a new AAC 260 M700 barrel in the classifieds here. I wound up using a 6 yr old Rem 700SPS Varmint in 308 Win as a donor action. I was a bit hesitant doing so as it was a crazy accurate rifle right out of the box with it's original 26inch tube, then cut to 20" and then eventually 16". It shot everything well,155,168,175gr's But the decision was made to use it.

The process was simple, the rifle was completely dismantled. I chose not to do any truing at this time and simply tried a few different recoil lugs I had onhand until the headspace passed the go,nogo and field gauges. I went ahead and Cerakoted the action,fluted the bolt and did my own tig welded knob conversion while it was stripped. Used an old style trigger that I tweaked to a nice crisp 3 lbs. The barreled action was set in a AICS 1.5 without bedding of anykind. Everything was assembled last Saturday night, a Nightforce 12x42 was placed atop of it for some load development.

Sunday afternoon I was able to get a few rounds through it after I ran a couple of patches to clear any debris that might have been in the bore. Only had four pieces of Remington 260 brass available then. I bore sighted the rifle on a fence post with my eye and then fired a round at 100yds the. POI was slightly low and left of the aiming point so I simply adjusted the reticle to the hole and the rifle was ready to shoot some groups. These are the next 9 rounds fired from the new AAC barrel. 142gr SMK's were used with H4350, the powder charges are noted. The first group came in at .5, 2nd was .8 and the 3rd group measured .7 in.ch I ran out of time and that was that my weekend was done.

272.jpg

Fast foward a week to this Saturday the 15th and I had a nephew over for some shooting. He tried 5 rounds with it at 200yards. Now the rifle had 15 rounds down it and it's doing ok.

Today(Sunday) I get up before daylight and find a few hogs milling about near my camphouse so I screw a can on and send a 142gr SMK behind 42grs of H4350 down 100yds and right into a nice eating size sow's shoulder. PSSSST thud! That was round #16.

Note the rifle is still wearing the Nightforce. The illuninated reticle worked like a champ in the darkness of the night.
IMG_0559.jpg

About noon today I was able to shoot a few more loads through it. My CED chronograph is not working right so I have no velocities to show. The Nightforce was replaced with a Leupold MK IV 4.5x14 and all shooting was suppressed.
Trying more 142gr loads using H4350 I settled on the 42gr load as it shot best. Next I tried 140gr Berger Hunting VLD's and H4831. I didnt have much load data onhand and really havent checked yet but setteled on 44.3grs with a 2.920" OAL using reformed Lapua 243 Win brass. This was my confirmation target before calling it a day. The top 3 shot group went .3 and the bottom 5 shot group went.6. Thinking this is pretty decent considering I didnt go into any great pains to accurize it.

44grH4831140grBergerVLDHunting.jpg

A couple of pics of the rifle ready to go.

260REMAICSSUP.jpg

260REMACTION.jpg

Re: M700 260 Remington AAC Makeover

Sweet, You can't ask for much better than that! Who'd you have dip the Mark 4 in the last couple of pics? Looks GREAT!

very well done, you got a beautifull .260 that shoots as good as it looks.
I have 5 .308 and since getting a .260, i don't shoot them anymore.
cheers.

Nice makeover, thanks for the report!

I've got one of these barrels coming and am gonna do the same with my 700 ADL, so it's good to see your results.

Well done. Looks like a keeper.

dk-1

The digital camo on both stock and scope is Krylon with a few coats of flat clear over it. It has held up well considering the cost.

gordo,

I'm bumping this thread to get a six month update on how the barrel is treating you...

Thanks BoilerUP..... Man I have just to many irons in the fire to shoot this one much at all. Been concentrating on some benchrest and F class stuff while work has me busy alot of weekends. H4831 is nonexistant around here which is another excuse.:mad:

My daughter drove it last. Here's a short video I took with my phone through a spotter. Not great quality but shows some decent trace.

The krylon is pretty simple.
1) used O.D> for the base coat
2)arranged and placed tape and male stencils over the the O.D.
3)sprayed khaki over step 2
4)removed stencils and tape
5)used females and to fill in areas black,O.D. and khaki were used
6)used 2 coats of Valspar flat clear to help with protection

This was done several years ago now and while it has some nicks and scratches in it, overall it's held up well.

Here's a pic with the skins sprayed with O.D. and the male stencils and tape applied waiting for the khaki.

IMG_1740.jpg